Circa 2004 Dean Custom Steel 29er SS

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JimN, Sep 17, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    • Reynolds 853 if I remember correctly
    • Seat tube height: 20.5" BB center to TT center, 22.5" BB center to top, where seat post enters the tube
    • Top tube length C-C: 23"
    • Eccentric BB for chain tensioning (expander type), with Breezer drop-outs
    • Don't remember all geometry details, but pretty old skool. Fairly short chain stays, I think, for its time. Good clearance for rear tire; might be able to squeeze a 2.4" in there.

• Freshly re-powdercoated finish, used to be hot pink, now white. No branding decals
    • Surly Karate Monkey rigid fork, powdercoated to match frame.
    • 32x20 drivetrain, Race Face Deus crankset with bash guard, Niner cog (can't recall mileage on it, but it's working fine), fresh chain with only about 100 miles on it, don't recall what brand/type
    • Keeping with Old Skool theme, Chris King Hubs laced to Mavic A719 rims, including the unnecessary braking surfaces. Running tubes
    • Rear tire: Maxxis Crossmark 2.1", Front tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25". Less than 100 miles on them.
    • Avid mechanical disc brakes with matching levers
    • Thomson set-back seatpost
    • Old Specialized Phenom 143mm saddle showing wear
    • Jones titanium H-Bar
    • Cane Creek Forty headset replaced about 100 miles ago
    • Bontrager 140mm stem, don't remember rise. Again, old skool, but works well with the swept back H-Bar for a 6+ footer like myself
    • Salsa seatpost clamp
    • Hope skewers
    • No pedals

I'm not dying to get rid of this bike. My wife bought the frame and fork for me as a birthday present the year before we got married, so it has sentimental value. I have fond memories of when it was my primary bike for a number of years in the mid-2000s. I'm currently transitioning into semi-retirement, and moving to my Sedona, AZ residence. I just don't see myself riding this bike much in Sedona, so makes the most sense to see if anyone out there is interested in such a dated SS from the very early 29er period.

In my opinion, it's a very capable bike. It's seen many a run down Palm Canyon, and the surrounding trails out there. It's spent plenty of time in the Santa Susana Mountains gnar, as well as other nearby jank in Agoura Hills. It served me well for countless simple XC rides in the Santa Monica Mountains back when I lived on the Westside. It was always great for moderately techy rides in the San Gabes. Solid all-rounder for someone in the 6-foot height range who has some experience with old skool geometry. In my opinion, no previous experience necessary to go SS and fully-rigid. It's a fun way to relearn how to ride a mountain bike.

I'm really at a loss as to what this bike is worth. All reasonable offers will be considered. Available for pick-up in Pasadena. Not willing to ship. Reply here and I'll PM you, or just PM me directly.

Here are some crappy snaps from where the bike currently resides in our guest bedroom.

Dean 1.jpg

Dean 2.jpg

Dean 3.jpg

Dean 4.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If that were mine, I’d never sell it. Good luck...

Mikie, Danmtchl, Stkx66 and 3 others like this.
  3. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    Oh shoot! You might be talking me down off the edge. Apologies to anyone if I end up changing my mind. You can blame Faust29 for talking some sense into me. Still undecided, so I'm leaving it out there.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Oaken and 2 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    +1

Mikie, Danmtchl and JimN like this.
  5. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ha, I clicked on the classified heading thinking, sounds just like Jim's pink bike. I say mount it on the wall in the downstairs!

6. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    Ha! Yeah, you would remember this bike well from back when it was in its original hot pink state.

TwoWheel Eric, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  7. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    Stumbled upon a couple shots with the original pink powdercoat and Dean decals. Original build, so some minor differences:

d109-0902_IMG.JPG

d109-0903_IMG.JPG

8. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    That's it! Even pinker than I recalled.

Mikie and JimN like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That’s what’s up!

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and JimN like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Wondering why the new PC on it? That pink was awesome!

11. JimN

JimN Member

Name:
    JimN
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Switchblade 29er
    That's a good question for which I really don't have a good answer. The frame was originally spec'd and ordered by someone out on the Colorado front range, who never ended up building it into a complete bike. The frame and fork were powder coated by Spectrum Paint & Powder Works out in Boulder. They consider themselves true artisans in the world of bike painting. Well, I don't know what went wrong with this bike, but it was the worst paint job I've ever seen. Looked great at first, but it peeled, bubbled and chipped off like crazy. Must've been due to poor prepping of the raw steel. Anyway, I was a bit fed up about it. When it was time to have it redone, I just took it to a local facility and chose plain white. This powder coat job seems to be holding up just fine.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A bike with a story!!! Yeah, Spectrum is supposed to be top notch... guess they flubbed this one!
    The white looks nice, don't get me wrong, but that pink... love it!

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and JimN like this.