Bum base layer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 19, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A few threads here dipped into this subject. I'm just listing the briefs I've had/have and how they work for cycling – or mountain biking – to hopefully guide a would-be diaper shunner's purchase. I wear a medium and have a ~32" waist.

Smartwool Merino 150 Boxer Brief $48
    Kind of a thick waistband, otherwise good material/fit. I'd choose a thinner material for the hottest days.

Ex Officio Give-N-Go 2.0 Boxer Briefs 6" $26 (10% off of two or more)
    Thin material is good for heat, fit is fine. Had to return one pair due to the hem seam unravelling, but trying again as EO products have, overall, been good in the past.

Patagonia Essential Boxer Briefs 6" $32
    Just got them, they fit the most comfortably and have the fewest seams. Reviews indicate longevity is an issue, we'll see.

I'm totally committed to diaper-free riding at this point. I have at least one padded liner I've never used. Every time I run into one it's going in the trash.

Feel free to move this thread wherever it works best.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If you are really tough, you go without undies too!

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I posted a video about that, and you didn’t like the idea.

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    We agreed earlier that it was coolness, not toughness that determined whether one can ride without the pad… Or was it manliness? I’m confused.

If one can ride sans diaper, one has the option to skip underwear. Say if one’s laundry is drying on one’s pack or bike. Not a situation I imagine you would find yourself in.

You are much too rad on your bike to freeball. A normal male can, in my estimation, only get away with that on smoother surfaces and non-aggressive riding. You seem pretty normal. Better leave the layering experiments to others. But do stay in the discussion. :geek:

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been diaper free for about a year. I went cold turkey as an experiment after listening to some of you, and have yet to experience any ill effects. Why did I wear Huggies all those years?!? I'm riding a pretty good mix up here- some fire roads, some chunk, some extreme chunk, water crossings, dry and dusty, pretty much everything imaginable... No issues. That includes rides on the Hightower, Moxie, Chameleon, and the Sutra... 2000 foot days to 8000 foot days. Pretty good mix.

I really didn't put much thought into the underwear and I think we're straying into the TMI zone. :Roflmao But... I'll say that plain old Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs in the newest wizz-bang athletic material have not failed me yet. Breathable, with just enough support.

I haven't had any reason to think about going back to the bum sponge.

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl, Mikie, ~JB~ and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't see this thread gaining a lot of traction... I'm a convert, though. :thumbsup:

Now you guys have me looking at Merino wool boxer briefs...

9. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Same here...

Most don't seem durable for cycling though.... Especially at over$30 per pair

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Depends...

I'm wearing them right now! :thumbsup: :oops:

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I gave up on the "diapers" on the mtb a while back. Doesn't matter where I'm riding.

However, on the road bike the bib shorts are still the bomb. The difference in the ride explains it - you're sitting and spinning for hours, as opposed to the mtb version of standing, sitting, stopping, etc. Totally different.

But there are those who go commando on road bikes too, I suppose. :Roflmao

12. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Member

Name:
    Yokel Legend
    Current Bike:
    '98 Specialized FSR Comp
    Which also saves having to carry a trail bell.

13. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Which stays in place better, 6 or 9 inch?

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’ve never tried the longer ones. 6” leg length ends at mid thigh; seems perfect, no riding up for me with 33” inseam.

15. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    On my last trip to Whitefish I didn't pack my padded liner.
    I ended up riding 5 (short) rides without ant padding. no real issues to report.
    I did use a pair on synthetic boxer briefs (I can't remember the brand). Plenty of support and much better ventilation.

16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    32 Degrees from Costco $26.99 for a 6 pack. Uh, shorts not abs.
    I'm not going back to padded shorts. I think that improvement in saddle designs has really helped me in that area... :geek:
    These have been great for hot weather and do a great job for me to wick away moisture. Very affordable.
    Winter may bring on some woolly stuff...

imageService?profileId=12026540&id=1621720&recipeId=728.jpg

17. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Ok, so today I made the leap. Probably not the best day to try it.. but what the hell. I have a bunch of Underarmor Boxxerjocks that I use for working out/hiking. I know this will not be my solution because the legs tend to bunch up on these shorts, but they keep the bits in place so I figured it was worth a shot.

My biggest complaint about the chamois is that it makes it feel like everything is smashed/pancaked into the front of the short if ya know what I mean... it's not comfortable. AT all.

I rode close to 4 hours today... mostly xc style in Big Bear... and other than the leg bunching, the boxxerjocks were great. I could feel a little discomfort on the saddle contact points... but I managed to walk away relatively unscathed. The spec comp saddles are great.. but i might get a proper measure and see if I need something different. But, everything felt in place, where it should be...

Now to find the ultimate short... I might look at saxx... they are pricey but most people really like them. Exofficio quality is down down down from the reviews I've read... maybe B3nth as well... we shall see.

18. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    05160554972429392169fa7c12916a3d2f2c67.jpg

~JB~, Agent Orange, mike and 2 others like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I tried out some basic Hanes boxer briefs a few years ago with hope that I could ditch the chamois for the AZTR, but didn't have the courage to follow through. A few initial rides didn't provide confidence.

With Colorado trail bikepack coming up I decided to give it another try, since the route promised mucho hike a bike. Rides the last couple months went well including the Catalina Island bikepack which was mostly sit'n'spin riding. I did bring one chamois along for the CT specifically for the two 70-mile wilderness detours. Used it for the first one, and then mailed it home along with cold weather gear that turned out to be unnecessary. Rest of the ride went well sans chamois. As with a few others, don't think I'll be going back. I/ll probably keep what chamois i have now and use sparingly, but honestly I couldn't tell much difference between them and boxer briefs in terms of padding. The briefs had noticeably better airflow which kept them less sweaty, which is the main benefit for me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?