Breaking News thread!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Apr 10, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Silk Road etc no joke murder for hire... Seriously bad dudes... Complex organizations / relationships / motivations / New organized crime / nation states / producers / buyers ...

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Now that we live on a lake, I am just waiting for electric boats. The convenience of being able to charge at my dock, not having to pay marine gas fees of 2x normal gas prices, to say nothing of a reduction in engine noise of about 75%. I have probably purchased my last gas boat... and maybe even my last gas car. My wife already drives a Tesla.

Nautique all-electric boats

Stkx66, DangerDirtyD, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  3. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    If you are looking to slow down...
    https://www.duffyboats.com/

tick and Mikie like this.
  4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Definitely a market here for folks who can run 100
    Amps to their dock.

BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Or for people with 2000W of solar panels on their dock :) I got very spoiled charging my wife's car with the sun :)

bvader and Mikie like this.
  6. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I am still confused why solar cells and hydrogen cells are not paired up... Charge Store and Use...

7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    For now Electrolysis is still too expensive.

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    2kw isn’t going to get you many minutes of boating in a cloudy part of the country and a 130 kWh battery...you’re gonna need to pull from those coal plants the Appalachians are famous for...

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    You were asking for 100 amps :) That's what I gave you :)

Believe it or not, North Carolina is the #2 state in the country for installed residential solar, beating such likely candidates as Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Not sure how/why, given how cheap our electricity is (20% what it costs in California). We had a 9kW solar system in Cali, and the system was like owning a printing press for money - but that was with SDG&E rates topping out at $.43 per kWhr (before tax). Here there is no such thing as "tiered" electrical rates. It is one rate, all the time, no matter how much or little you use. Right now I pay $.10 per kWhr (after tax), running my A/C 24/7.

10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Why are bike/product tests performed and written by little piece of Sh!t 150-180 pound children?

Mikie, Faust29, BonsaiNut and 3 others like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I got a steam methane reformation and hydrogen electrolysis facility with 20,000 gallon/60’ tall liquid hydrogen tank and 15,000 square foot office Campus entitled in Moreno Valley within an industrial specific plan, Compatibility Zone D of the March Air Reserve Base, and adjacent to residential zoning. Imagine a 60-foot-tall liquid hydrogen tank across the street from a military air base and on the other side of the wall from your back yard. :confused: No mitigation, no significant impacts. :rolleyes: We even disclosed the Applicant would be consuming 150,000 gallons of water per day and burning 56.03 million Btu per hour :eek:. One hundred percent of the facility’s electricity would be offset by an alternative energy power purchase agreement comprised of 140 megawatts of wind/solar energy over 30 years. California is good for business. If you disagree, you might be selling the wrong stuff.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow, angry much? I once heard that the cycling industry designs their products around a size Medium. That is larger than a Small and smaller than a Large.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've owned two Manitous that were great for their time. A Mars X-Vert Air (ca 2001?) and a Nixon (2007?). The X-Vert was the first fork that truly demonstrated to me that chassis stiffness in a fork can increase the feeling of plushness and confidence. The 145mm travel Nixon (on an 07 Yeti 575) was my first thru-axle fork at a time when most forks still had traditional quick release skewers. The thru-axle was a game changer (and the industry should have stuck with 20mm, IMO).

After reading the "review" linked above, I have two thoughts - when it comes to chassis stiffness in a fork, more is not always better. A fork with no lateral flex tends to ricochet off of sideways impacts. Paired with a stiff carbon wheel and you have a fight on your hands.For a short time, I ran a Magura Thor (on an 09 Yeti 575) that had a reverse arch AND a standard arch - yes - both. It was very unforgiving laterally. I dumped that fork in less than a year. And I weigh 210.

The other thought is nowhere did the test pilot discuss small bump compliance - the bane of every air fork's existence. How well does it absorb repeated trail chatter up to 6" such as rock gardens and braking bumps? Has Manitou unlocked the secret to being as supple as a coil? I hope so.

Overall, I am glad to see them in the game. The ride quality of the Manitous I owned was stellar for the time. I hope we can still say that.

Mikie, Faust29, Derkderkall and 3 others like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    OMG for a second I thought @DangerDirtyD was talking about me! And then I saw 180 pounds or less. Whew! For once, glad I'm don't fit into that category!

Mikie, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Who gives a Sh!t what a 150 pound shredder can do to a bike? Do you even need disk brakes and thru axles with that kind of mass?

BonsaiNut, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  17. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Hey! I'm about 170 and need my brakes!!. How else would I be able to enjoy the ride so much longer than most of you?

I aint slow, I just get to enjoy the ride for longer:)

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I sense not-so-successfully-suppressed jealousy. And resentment. You too can be 165 lbs. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  19. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    My liquid hydrogen tank is 152 feet tall, holds 390,000 gallons of LH2, but the length also includes a liquid oxygen tank which holds another 145,000 gallons of LOX. It holds 1,500,000 pounds of liquid heat. It is now obsolete. My new one is much bigger. light fuse get away

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I used to be...Junior year of high school...

Mikie likes this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ah-ha, the smoke is starting to clear.

Redman and Mikie like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    The review had good insight on two fronts, neither which do me or most grown ups in the market for a 37mm stanchion fork any good:
    1. The test rider is overforked/stanchioned.
    2. A remedy to this is to replace 35mm bars with 31.8mm bars.

If the equipment being tested is designed to be burly and the tester needs to compensate for the intended performance of the product, you see where I'm going with this? The test should be done by a larger human commensurate with the intent of the fork.

Mikie likes this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Is your tank guyed? Do you need FAA clearance? WTF are you doing with 390k And 145k gallons of that stuff?

Redman, Mikie and rossage like this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Cryogenics. Put a stick in the stiff and make a Lox-sicle!

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am sure some 150 lb riders can appreciate and benefit from heavy artillery such as a fork with 37mm stanchions if they are beastly riders on beastly terrain. But it's preposterous that the fork was tested on a hardtail. Wrong application for the product. Even if you descend at @rossage speeds, the front end will be writing checks the back end can't cash. To report about the quality of the fork under those circumstances is just silly.

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Ha ha! How can I be out of money? I still got checks!

27. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I thought about it and thought and still it’s over my head.

28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    LOL I didn't weigh 165 even coming out of Airborne School when I was in the Army... 35 years ago!

That said, when I was a small chap in elementary school, I still took some bad tumbles on my bike. I'm not sure that weight has anything to do with it. At 165 it just means my bones are thinner :) I personally think weight matters less than height. A lower center of gravity makes a huge difference when mountain biking on technical trails.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 2 others like this.
  29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yet many of the very best DHers are over 6' tall - Atherton, Minnaar, Peat and scores of others. Amaury is 5'11" - so just missed the 6' club. Florent Payet is 6'6" and has a nice shiny DH World Championships medal. It seems being tall can help a lot in DH, or certainly isn't a hindrance.

Where my 6'4" ness seems to be a disadvantage is slow, tight switchbacks - and that's because my bikes are so damn big. My 210lbs is a hindrance climbing, or so I tell myself.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Derkderkall like this.
  30. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?