Bike Shops...

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by Geetarguy, Feb 2, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Hey, Bike Shops: Stop Treating Customers Like Garbage

I know this article has probably made the rounds here before (I did a search but did not see it). However, I feel that it's true and cannot be overstated. I have been riding for over 20 years and still seem to encounter the elitist attitude in most bike shops. I have always tried to patronize my LBS because I want them to stay open for the service they provide. In today's world, if you want to stay in business...lose the elitist attitude and focus on the service. Having said that I have had a good experience with Victorville Cycles. I purchased my son's BMX bike there and I am currently waiting on my Trek Fuel to arrive any day now :)

Danmtchl, UPSed, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Huh...
    I have never read that article.
    Glad you found your local shop to take care of you!

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That’s where guys like me come in. Former bike shop guy at mom and pop shop...no ego, no elitist.

now doing labor on my own. You bring me the parts, I provide the labor at a nominal fee. Usually while you wait. No 4 week wait times.

https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/j’s-garage-services.9693/

bvader, Danmtchl, tick and 6 others like this.
  4. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    Might have to hit you up!

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    InCycle: San Dimas
    I receive their annual holiday mailer, which always includes a "buy two tubes, get one free" coupon. I called the San Dimas store to ask if they had three (3) tubes (26 x 1.25-1.75) with removable valve cores. The associate on the phone said they did, so I ride my commuter to the shop only to find out they had only one such tube but would order the other two from their Pasadena store. Fine, I ask to pay for the items using my coupon, but I'm told to pay for the one now and the other two when they arrive. Never mind the coupon you sent me to get me into the store! They won't allow me to pay upfront for the entire order and advise me to return when all three tubes are there to make the purchase, but that they cannot guarantee all three tubes would remain in stock once they arrive. The next day I get a call from the store advising me the tube I wanted is in stock for me. I ask if all three are there, and I'm told only one is in the store. Once that guy finally catches up to yesterday, we could all move on. I never received another call from them. In other instances, I had the owner Mark get personally involved with a RaceFace/Fox warranty issue on a product I purchased from a different bike shop, and he really came through for me.

I should mention that while waiting in the store, I observed several customers. The place is happening; very busy sales floor and service counter. Owner Mark is successful. While waiting for the staff to figure out how many boxes of tubes it takes to sell me three tubes, I had a conversation with an out-of-shape Clydesdale who brought in a bike he bought online. At first, I only said hello. 15 minutes later I asked him if he had been helped yet, and he said no. At that point I started chatting with him about how great the cycling community is and how he could find the support of other cyclists if he gave the sport a chance to grow on him. The bike he had is a hybrid road bike clearly way too small for him and with limited adjustability. The kind of "high end" bike you'd see at Target. I gave him the best advice I could and mentioned he should always wear a helmet and consider gloves. Then I spat out the list of basic tools for flat tire repair, minor adjustments, and hydration. Mind you, this was all within earshot and viewshed of an employee sitting in front of a computer and another wrenching on a bike. Again, the store is very busy almost every time I go there (it doesn't bother me...I just strike up a conversation with any rando employee or customer and pretend I work there while I wait to be served or wait to be advised I am unserviceable). The newbie Clydesdale didn't seem intimidated with the concept of the gear, so there's is hope he could join the ranks. When finally a shop employee arrived to acknowledge this guy standing by his bicycle (probably 25 minutes of waiting), I left with a closing comment that I think I hooked him onto a $7,000 dream machine and all the employee had to do was reel him in. I really would like to know the outcome of that patronage.

Anyway, if you want a better experience, seriously consider the following:

www.crazybearbikes.com (Xavier Lasalle is a wizard with one of the coolest bike shops in SoCal. He shares a wall with the La Verne Brewing Company and is within cycling distance of Bonelli Regional Park and Marshall Canyon).

https://ridgeline.services/ (Joseph Warren will make your suspension feel incredible). He's in the boonies, but bikeflights.com solves that logistical issue.

Danmtchl, tick, mtbMike and 3 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I really only had the "holier than thou" vibe in one shop... Down in south Orange County. I believe there was a lengthy thread from a former frequent poster about the same shop and their e-bike shenanigans. Shenanigans that I witnessed firsthand on San Juan Trail with the shop owner... :cautious:

I like the guys and gals at The Path, and especially at the Live Oak location. I've never had that "bend over" vibe there.

Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  7. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    I bought my first "real" bike from In-Cycle (Chino) over 20 years ago and it was the first (and last) time I ever bought anything from that store! The bike I bought was roughly $2000 (a lot of money for me at the time...still a lot of money for me lol). The employee I was dealing with was soooooo elitist. Not sure why...maybe I wasn't spending enough money...or I wasn't buying a road bike....I don't know...but he barely had time for me or time to answer my questions. Another customer came in (after me) and was looking at a more expensive road bike...he was all over them...and completely ignored me. But, I thought, this is how the sport is...so I bought the bike and moved on. As time went on I realized that there are some great stores with some great employees (far and few between) and not all bike people are snobby and elitist! Now I look for those stores and give them as much business as I can so they can compete with the internet and stay open. I don't know Mark (the owner), maybe he's a great guy...the store is still open I guess....so maybe he is doing something right (weeding out snobby employees). Maybe now, 20 years later, they are a great place to buy a bike...I don't know. All I know is that they lost me as a customer after my first bike because of an elitist attitude employee...and possibly lost other customers as I steered my friends to other shops that treated the customer with respect!

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  9. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Member

Name:
    Geetarguy
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX 7
    mtnbikej, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?