Back on the Saddles . . . again.

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by Mikie, Jun 3, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No! Not the country song! :rolleyes:

I have bent the rails on my WTB Saddle that came OEM on my Yeti...
    Now I know better to than ask what would be a great new saddle for me. That's like asking what would be the best size shoe, or something like that. Saddles are personal preferences.

So what I am asking is for those of you that spend a long time in the saddle, have you found a saddle that you gravitate to. OR, have you read reviews on saddles that would seem to fit those that ride All Mountain and longer rides.
    I liked the looks of the WTB High Tail <a class="postlink" href="http://www.wtb.com/products/high-tail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wtb.com/products/high-tail</a> and the concept behind it in a Titanium rail but have read a few reports that it is particularly uncomfortable.

What is the best "flat profile" minimalist titanium railed saddle that you have come across that works for long hours in the saddle.

Just looking for a direction here so go easy on me. . . :lol:
    ...and I swear if you suggest a Specialized saddle UPSed, I'm gonna..... :D

2. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Size 10 wide, or 10.5 regular :D All I can say is I had a wtb silverado and it didn't work so well with my bum on longer rides. Replaced it with a wtb Devo and all is fairly well.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I know there are a bunch of anatomically friendly saddles now, but I still like this one... It keeps things from falling asleep, if you know what I mean. Strongly recommended by my bicycle-riding medical professional.

http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-peak/

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It's not like I do any long MTB rides but the last few years I have been using the Specialized Henge that came on my bike with nary a saddle sore. Before that I liked the WTB Pure with ti rails.

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Ha...ha....ha. :p

I have a Silverado on my SS....and I put tons of long miles on it....I am on my 3rd one in a about 4 or 5 years. I really like it. No issues with saddle sores or sore bum.

I have a Devo on my Tallboy, and it's...ok. Got it on blowout from Chainlove a while back...acutally they were so cheap I got 2. One is still in the box. I find it a little too short, and a bit wide. Have put in some long rides on it, and it just wasn't as comfortable as the Silverado.

Oh, yeah....size 10-10.5 as well. :lol:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hated the Henge, disliked the Silverado, like the Rocket V (kinda narrow though) and currently liking the Volt. But what do I know - I don't spend much time on the saddle.

8. moto knight

moto knight Member

Name:
    kyle
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    Im really liking the sdg bel air 2.0 ti saddle. Been trying a few different saddles lately to find the best for me and the sdg is working out great. My second choice would be the wtb volt.

9. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I am wondering how/why you bent the saddle rails?

In the last 20 years of riding, I have only been on the more attractive side of 250lbs for a few short months last year, and have yet to bend a saddle rail.

I'd be curious to see a pic of the saddle as it is mounted on the bike. . . .

10. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I was in your situation not too long ago due to this happening to my Spec Phenom saddle:

eDPAfgOegSnvtIVcmi3N1KFy3yb-babZtNhKOi3KDIk=w919-h720-no.jpg
    - Carbon saddle rail discovered broken after a chunky section of Noble Canyon called Stairway to Hell. Went to sit down, felt a bit too much give on one side, and looked down at it and part of the rail was gone... snapping noise must have been masked by all the noise of the bike smacking against rocks.

I like Charge's saddle line-up. I regret not getting in on the discontinued Scoop line-up (discontinued and relaunched under Fabric, for about 50% more cost) that I posted as a great deal on Universal (only Ti white ones left, which cost about $10-15 more). I took a saddle off another one of my bikes and went for the Charge Spoon as a replacement. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.jensonusa.com/Charge-Spoon-Cromo-Saddle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jensonusa.com/Charge-Spoon-Cromo-Saddle</a>

Scoop link: <a class="postlink" href="https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=64955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=64955</a>

I have tried the WTB Rocket V and Volt, Fizik Tundra, some Bonty and Spec saddles, and some house branded Velo-made saddles. My ass has accustomed itself to the Rocket V for 3+ hour rides, but it didn't start out like that. Same with the Henge and others. The Phenom is the only one that seemingly went 3+ hours without ass-break-in, out of this list. Some of the Bonty saddles I just couldn't stand from the moment I sat on it. Haven't tried the Fizik nor the Volt on an epic, but they felt great for the 1-2 hour rides so far. The Velo saddles felt alright as long as I didn't wear a 15+ lbs pack on my back.

11. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I really need to get a good look at your backside before I can recommend any saddle....

12. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Don't ask me... I left 1/2 my ass skin stuck to my padded shorts liner after Archipelago ride. I think i have permanent scarring :(

On a rocket V

13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! Both physical AND emotional?

14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sometimes you just plain scare me.... :|

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I thought the exact same thing... :shock:

16. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Only sometimes??? Boy I need to work a tad harder I guess... :D

17. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    >
    "I tell you what, you could take a good look at Mikie's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it.... no wait, I mean his saddle... no I mean a T-bone... ahhhhhhhhhhh "

I don't know why but this thread made me think of the late, great Chris Farley

[youtube]0slTBGBEf0g[/youtube]

18. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I ended up with a Specialized Phenom Pro. Been using it for about two years on hardtails. No issues yet. Never tired any WTB saddles...can't get past how funny they look to me. :lol:

19. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    A doctor that knows all about your rump helped design the Spec saddles, while a hermit carved a saddle shape out of wood and thought if a wood saddle could be comfortable enough to ride on, then a foam padded plastic one would be better and stamped the WTB logo on it. A doc also designed Bonty saddles, but I think the one I nicknamed the "iron throne" must be one of the saddles from a time before he helped redesign the line-up.

I still am going to pass around the Charge/Fabric kool-aid and ask you to consider them. They come in a "flat", a rounded version ("radius"), a tweener shape ("shallow"). The one that Universal carries is the rounded version, that's meant for a more upright mtb/cruiser position. The flat version is more ideal for a roadie-like aero position. The tweener "Shallow" version is more for XC or casual road. The only thing the doctors do differently with the Spec/Bonty saddles really is match saddles to sit bone width and add a channel in the center for guys, which Fabric also does (Scoop is 142 wide, and a Rocket V is I think between 127-133mm). Reviews:

<a class="postlink" href="http://road.cc/content/review/134525-fabric-scoop-flat-pro-saddle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://road.cc/content/review/134525-fa ... pro-saddle</a>
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fabric-scoop-radius-seat-review-2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fabric-sco ... -2014.html</a>
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/category/components/saddles/product/review-fabric-flat-scoop-carbon-pro-14-48691/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/c ... -14-48691/</a>

20. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Hmmm. Thought I posted in this thread yesterday, but don't see it.

Anyway, for a flat saddle, I don't think you can beat Ergon. I have them on my road and XC bike, and love them. Did a century shortly after getting the road version, and didn't really think about my butt once on the ride, which is about as good a recommendation as I can think of. Don't have more than about three hours on the MTB version, but it's been good so far.

I have wide sitbones (to go with the rest of me) and the Ergon comes in three widths - WTB has only recently made wider saddles. Ergon also has segmented their MTB line, not really sure what the differences are with the AM saddle vs. the XC saddle. Can't speak to durability as I haven't really put it through any torture other than putting my Clyde butt on it.

21. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    The last time I measured my sit bones they were narrowly spaced. I have had good experiences with the SDG Bel Air Ti, WTB Rocket Ti and the Charge Spoon Cromo. One complaint about the Charge saddle, my shorts get caught on the two "wings" when moving from behind my saddle to back on it. I know some shops had demo saddles in previous years. That might be a road to consider before pulling the trigger on a new saddle if those programs still exist.

22. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    I've never used the Fabric...but still have the Charge Spoon and Knife from 2008...and they hurt my taint.

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If memory serves me correctly @Mikie ended up with a Specialized saddle. You're welcome. :gag:

I am now in the market for a saddle for my new bike. The Niner saddle is basically vinyl covered plastic. Not very comfortable. I'm thinking of going Specialized Henge or Phenom but have heard good things about Ergon saddles. Any other recommendations aside from what's already been posted here?

Danmtchl likes this.
  24. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Hard to go wrong with a henge or phenom. I like both saddles.
    I was just looking at the Ergon at work. They look like fine saddles. If they work near as good as their grips, then it's a win.
    I am currently riding a WTB Silverado race that is long and lean. So far its good too. I guess my ass isn't too picky.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  25. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    On a Fabric scoop right now, and enjoying it. Want to try an Ergon SMA3.

Danmtchl, herzalot and UPSed like this.
  26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm interested in their SME3 Pro. 61OVCBQGXGL._SL1500_.jpg

littlewave and Danmtchl like this.
  27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I have an ergon sma3, its a bit more padded and bigger channel than the sme3. It seemed a bit firm and uncomfortable at first but it broke in a bit and now its feels fine. My fave is the koobi au enduro but theyre kinda pricey so thought id give ergon a shot, seems good enough.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    70% of saddles on the Great Divide are leather. A good saddle requires no chamois or padding while riding on a relatively smooth surface.

Many long days in succession on a leather saddle...had more problems with padded shorts than without. Pads are sponges that never dry and create an environment ripe for funk and chaffing. May not come to bear on <half day rides, or if you're a light perspirer. I'd love to see more MTB-specific saddles incorporating leather for comfort, with full-length rails for seat bag stability. There may be products I'm unaware of...

I resurrected my old Silverado after not being crazy about it and ditching it in the parts bin years ago. For some reason it's working excellently for me now. Callouses?

kioti, Danmtchl, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I maintain a healthy coat of hair to wick moisture from the canyon into the atmosphere for all to breathe and enjoy.

30. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    I've bent chromo rails landing hard on the seat while practicing stoppies, and every so often I will find bent rails when changing saddles.

As for personal experience and comfort in the saddle, if I have the right width, I find Phenoms good for 20-30 miles, Volts good for 20-40 miles, SQ Labs Active good for 30+, and Brooks Cambium good for 70+ miles.

Seatpost and frame material can make a difference, too. A steel frame SIR9 hardtail with a Niner flex carbon post is crazy comfy. Aluminum HT and seatpost, not so much.

mike, Danmtchl, UPSed and 1 other person like this.