Antelope Valley Poppy Rides

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Maddog, Mar 29, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-01-17
  1. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Ride Name: Antelope Valley Poppy Rides
    When: Saturday 4/1/17
    Time: Ride 1 9:00 a.m. Ride 2 1:00 p.m.
    Where: Ride 1 Corner of Munz Ranch Rd. and Lancaster Rd. west of Lancaster. Ride 2 End of West Ave. P-12 west of 25th St. West in Palmdale
    Ride Description or Details:
    This is 2,2,2 rides in One! Normally the Antelope Valley does not have much going for it. Sand but no beach; wind but no place to sail. Lots of aerospace, military and state prison related jobs and cheap housing are about all the positives except for wet, rainy years like this. Poppies and other wildflowers are dominating the hills on the west side and these 2 rides will give you the best way to enjoy the best bloom up here in about 10 years!

Ride 1 is a 14 mile easy loop around the state poppy park. 3 miles of pavement and the rest dirt road with 1 roller coaster section on the north but relatively flat on the remainder. Flowers throughout.

Ride 2 is the getting famous Joshua Ranch trails or P-12 trails which are kind of like a smaller version of Tapia in Santa Clarita. Lots of single track, some pavement, a little chunk, intermittent climbs and descents but no death marches. The ravines around these trails are bursting with flowers of all types. I have a route in mind to get to the best of the trails/flowers but it's a maze out there so we can improvise. Expect about 12-16 miles or more as time and endurance allows.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: Ride 1 Take the 14 fwy to Ave. I and exit west. Ave. I turns into Lancaster rd. before you get to Munz. Turn left on Munz Ranch Rd. and park on the dirt on either side but not in front of the farmhouse.

Ride 2 Turn west on P-12 off 25th west (aka Highland Ave.) and drive to the dead end. You'll be behind Highland High School next to the softball field. Park on either side. Those who do Ride 1 will just caravan using 30th St. West.

Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise, Easy with Moments of Effort
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit: None
    Anticipated Mileage: Ride 1 14 for the loop, less if you turn around at the roller coaster section. Ride 2 12-16 or more
    Elevation Gain: No clue
    Ride Duration: Plan on all day for picture taking time! You could do either one or both rides as you wish.
    Previous Ride Reports: Cut and paste???????
    Possible Bail-Outs: Either ride can be shortened. EZ returns to vehicles
    Facilities: None
    Food/water suggestions: If you do both rides, bring an ice chest with food for a lunch break between rides and water to refill for Ride 2. Temps in the high 70's but it will feel hotter (at least when riding with the wind) so bring more water then you think you'll need.
    Option to Upload:

Cyclotourist, mike, rossage and 4 others like this.
  2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    You know what this sounds like a nice change of pace and I'm gonna try to attend at least one if not both rides. Greg do you think the first loop is "Wifey & 11 year old kid" friendly? If they're interested I may just do the first loop and if not I may just do both. Only ridden p12 once but it was pretty fun(better than tapia if you ask me). Thanks for posting up @Maddog and I will confirm in the next day or so.

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The flowers are blazing right now, highly encourage this ride!

4. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sounds cool, I'm a maybe?

mike, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  5. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    You're welcome! I think with your family's riding experience they could both do the first loop OK. The 3 miles of pavement will have some flower watcher traffic to deal with but it won't be too thick at 9 a.m. The roller coaster section on the north does have some steep ups and downs that may require a HAB over short distances. There will be some rain and moto ruts there as well but the jeep roads are wide with many clean lines available. The last 5 miles are flat but we'll be riding into any westerly winds that might be blowing. Hopefully they won't approach hurricane strength like Monday :eek:!

P-12 used to have short trails less than a mile so you had to do a lot of zig-zagging to piece them together. But in the last few years, the guys from the Block shop have added lots of new trails. Now there are 2-3 mile sections of unbroken single track available. The easiest trails also happen to pass through the most flowered ravines too if your wife and kid have any gas left in the tank! It does take a 3 mile gradual climb (half of that on a paved road. Yes, I always take the paved road:thumbsup:) to get to them though. Hope you can make one or both!

mike, herzalot, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I know you have a bunch of flowers in Acton too but it's like a bright orange carpet out by the park! You gotta do this! God only knows when it will be this good again if the drought returns!

mike, herzalot, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Hey @Maddog is this still on? Wind has been blowing hard here in Castaic all week so I can only imagine what it's been like in the AV. Kido just got over the crud but now passed it on to the Mrs so they would be out. Me I'd probably be in for both...

mike likes this.
  8. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    You bet it's still on! I just checked the weather and at 9:00 a.m. Saturday it's 55 with winds at 5 mph and warming up to 77 at 3:00 p.m with winds at 10-12! For these parts, that's just a little puff! Monday and Thursday were the worst wind days up here. Sustained at 40+ with gusts to 60+ :eek:. It was really messing up my hair;)! Should be great conditions tomorrow:thumbsup:!

mike, herzalot and Danimal like this.
  9. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Well then I'll get myself ready and see you in the morning:D... Any other takers?

mike and Maddog like this.
  10. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Too bad about the wife and kid! Make sure your camera battery is fully charged so you can take lots of pics for them! As to the rest of you guys out there, when you see Voodoo Tom's pics on the ride report you're gonna wish you had been there:confused: so save the future self-abuse and get your butts up here! It may not be this good for another 10 years!

11. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Wish I could go MD. Dtrs soccer started up, and I referee too so gotta squeeze a ride in early in the AM closer to home. Post up pics (VT)!

mike and Maddog like this.
  12. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Is the meeting spot right near Lancaster Rd and Munz?

mike likes this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Had a heavy work load this week, I know I will probably regret not making the ride, I'll see how I feel in the morning?

mike likes this.
  14. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Yes. Ave. I becomes Lancaster Rd past 110th St. West and winds around a bit to Munz. Turn left on Munz (the only way possible) and park on either side. Munz has wider shoulders than Lancaster Rd. I'll be in a silver Chevy truck with a camper shell.

mike and bigringrider101 like this.
  15. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Thanks I'll see you there.

mike, Voodoo Tom and Maddog like this.
  16. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    You'll feel just great after your sloppy bowl of cereal :gag:! Even if you feel all :poop: you know a ride will make it all better :)! So resist the :devilish: and come up and ride! At least come to P-12 for the matinee! The flowers aren't as good but the riding is better. That way you could :sleep: in! Besides, imagine how guilty I'll make you feel if you don't show upo_O!

17. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Dead calm here at the house now boys in case any of you can be persuaded at the last minute! Like the Trace Adkins song says "You're gonna miss this; you're gonna want this back." So get on up here! Still time to make both if you're in the valley and all of you have time to make the 1:00 p.m. matinee at P-12!

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds like a great outing, @Maddog... Wish we could have considered it. TIA for posting up visuals! :thumbsup:

19. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB 5.5 , Stumpy EVO
    Hey Mike, any idea about the poppies at Goldern Eagle? thinking of going there Sunday with my other half. I read this post too late

Mikie likes this.
  20. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Anyone up for doing this ride tomorrow?

Mikie likes this.
  21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @T-2 , I just saw this post bud. I assume you are talking to me. Use the @ symbol in front of ones screen name and it sends a "alert" to the person. I also go by Mikie here.

To answer you (poorly)... I don't know. Have not been up there since @Voodoo Tom and I hit it several weeks ago. It was still too cold to see any flowers. Tons of trees down across the trail. But when the flowers are out, they are best on the fire road climb up on the south side of the mountain. They are spectacular!

22. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    If you're already doing this ride today then you already know what the weather is; low 60's with sustained winds in the mid 20 mph! Not ideal conditions but you can still see lots of partially open poppies! If you're not riding up here I'd recommend waiting for better weather. The poppies will still be great for a few more weeks especially after the little rain we got last night. Give me a little more notice and I may be able to join you! 10:24 p.m. is a bit past my bedtime! Or at least my coherent time!

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for the heads up.