Another Trabuco Trail Brushing Day 01-06-2024

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by mtnbikej, Dec 24, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    WS - Trabuco Canyon Trail - brushing
    WHAT: Trabuco Canyon Trail brushing
    WHERE: meeting at North Main Divide at Long Canyon Road
    WHEN: Saturday 2024-01-06
    TIME: 8:00 am

Continuing the Trabuco Canyon Trails Restoration Project, brushing Trabuco Canyon Trail from the top.

We'll shuttle up to Munhall Saddle and work down from there.

Tools will be provided. Having said that, if you have an electric hedge trimmer, bring it (and a spare battery).

Please RSVP either on the Face Book Event, here:
    https://fb.me/e/QnTcNKDM

RSVP: ecksteinly29@gmail.com , so I know how many tools to bring.

If you can't make this date, show your support by donating to the Warriors Society.

All funds go directly to offset the cost of our volunteering on the Trabuco District of the Cleveland National Forest.

Click the link below to contribute.
    https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/donation-form/9d931f23-f193-43ca-8b53-ba969463efc7

Who's in?
    When Sat Jan 6, 2024 8am – 2pm Pacific Time - Los Angeles
    Where 33.66220178615652, -117.44785034303297 (map)
    Calendar ecksteinly29@gmail.com

Obsidian likes this.
  2. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Made good progress yesterday on the Trabuco project. It was somewhere between cold and feckin freezing when we started and in spots never warmed up enough to thaw out the ground even when we trudged back up the hill at lunchtime.
    Despite my best efforts to miss it completely we found the switchback that drops you down to swap sides onto the other side of the canyon onto the shale side of the trail. Those that have been down there before will know where I'm talking about. True to my username I have no idea where we are! :D
    Thanks again to @mtnbikej for the ride up the hill. A couple of blokes missed the gate and had to walk in. Screw that!
    Sandwiches at the candy store afterwards. Surprisingly that is actually a legit business and not some crack head whore house in the middle of nowhere like I'd always assumed!

Fingers crossed once we make it to the other side of the canyon the going gets a bit easier. Yesterday the brush was about as thick as I've seen it up there. Next work day is probably going to be sometime towards the back end of Feb.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    We had a decent turnout yesterday. I think we had 10. Some new faces.

We have definately progressed down a ways. The hike in is getting to be on the long side.

Finally got the nice cool temps that would make work some much nicer. As we turned around to head out, there was still some frost on the ground at 12:00.

I was a little concerned we wouldn't make it to the last right hand switchback before you cross over to the other side of the canyon where all the scree is.

We got into a thicket that made work difficult. Took alot to get through. Also ran into a sizable washout, something we are not going to be able to fix by hand. :(

Pushed on til all the power tools died.

Had a little trouble in a couple spots figuring out where the trail headed.....including that final switchback. Had we let @Lost Kiwi go off on his own, Trabuco may have had a different route. :laugh:

Next trail day we will definitely cross over and begin the run down to West Horsethief split.

So far 1.34 miles of trail has been cleared from the top.

Simon in large washout....
    IMG_4638.jpeg

Large tree needed to be cleared from the washout...
    IMG_4639.jpeg

The thickness we weere dealing with....
    IMG_4640.jpeg

We cleared this just before the pic above....
    IMG_4641.jpeg

Wall of brush...no relief
    IMG_4642.jpeg

Kicking our asses....
    IMG_4643.jpeg

~JB~, Walleye, kingaucho and 11 others like this.
  4. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    In my defense the dude behind followed me and said nothing. He's been down there before, at least I can play the dirty foreigner card!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?