Analysis Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noLungs, Sep 17, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    Howdy Everyone,

Been a while since ive been around. Between work and going back to school I’ve had no time for anything. That said I’m getting into a routine with more time and want to get back out on to the trails, especially my beloved FLOOP (waits for the haters :Roflmao).

Here is my dilemma. I bought a 2018 Kona ST frame after selling my Stache. I had a couple parts laying around so I figured what the heck. Well, after crunching the numbers, building this bike out will run me more than what a Kona Honzo CR model runs. Granted my build would have a better fork.

I can’t figure out what the right way to go is. I want to feel the “steel is real” bit but that CR price seems right (~$2700) for what you get. Or should I even start thinking full squish bikes since I’m within range of those. Others? I’ve been working this over in my head to no avail and I know you are all supremely talented in getting people to spend money. ;).

I guess it’s the old build or buy dilemma

Thoughts?

Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay, mike and 5 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Tough call... I usually favor getting the complete bike, especially if built up well. You mentioned fork, but how are the wheels? That's usually the weak link in complete builds.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    STEEL IS REAL is where its at.

4. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Buy both, swap parts, sell carbon frame

5. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    They are your run of the mill budget wheels. I have hope hubs that I can lace up for the build.

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    As long as they aren't too bottom of the barrel, ride 'em till the quite spinning!

Danmtchl, Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm SO sorry, but I just had to...
    1. I'm so very happy to see your avatar posting!
    2. You left the front door so wide open, what else could I do?!?!?

I would suggest THIS... for the technical you guys deal with on the FLOOP.
    • It's Steel right from the Get-Go, to give the steel is real feel.
    • Low top tube for those tech climbs you may not clean.
    • It's single speed for the major elevation gains to develop your climbing prowess.
    • It has reflectors on all sides for when you cross major car traffic sections ( I think those are the STRAVA segments, right?)
    • Saddle is Lazy Boy quality WITH independent suspension, for the hours in the saddle. (Not for guys who can do the FLOOP in under an hour...)
    • Those Mudder Fenders! Holy Smokes! No need for the full on Goggles with two dozen tear-aways with these bad boys! Plus, yup there's more... Fenders provide Urban Camouflage for those rough sections of Hoboville.
    • Has Flats . . . . . . . . . . (with "built in" reflectors... :eek:No Way! Built in???)
    • Brakes?!?!? You don't need no stinkin' BRAKES! This is hands free brakin' here! Clears the bars of all that ... debris and stuff. Can you say Coastah! I knew you could!
    • Tires are versatile for hard pack DG AND... for crossing at stop lights.
    I'm just wondering what more you would need than this?!?! Other than tassels on the grips?
    This model comes with a kick stand option for the Burger Joint that @Grego is keeping classified until I ride the FLOOP with him...

Robert! I'm just lovin' on you Man! Welcome back Brothah!
    beach.cruiser.jpg

Danmtchl, Grego, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Bars with a lower rise and it'll be near perfect!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  9. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I've ridden the honzo cr. I didn't gel with it as much as I thought I would. The honzo ST is tempting because of the steel factor but I've seen a few custom builds on those things and without going weight weenie on the drivetrain and the wheelset they end up pretty heavy.

if I were into hardtails at the moment, it would be hard to look past a chameleon with some parts swapped out just because I like the geo better and it's cheaper. On the flip side, it would be hard for me to drop near 3k on a hardtail when the giant trance 29 - 2 model could be had for that same price.

10. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I couldn’t have asked for a better welcome than this!!!! You have me seriously considering that bike. Tassels for the win!!!

Danmtchl, herzalot, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  11. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    That was part of my thoughts as well. With how (relatively) affordable aluminum full sus bikes are I’ve been tossing around the “why HT” too. Guess I have more analysis paralysis to work through.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You'd have to use a tensioner to make the CR SS. ST has modular dropouts. Source used parts to save $? I would not shy away from a steel hardtail because it doesn't weigh what a CF bike weighs. That would be sort of missing the point of a steel HT. At least ride it. A few bucks here or there will be forgotten; your bike's performance and versatility (or lack of it) will not.

@pdqmach26 had or has a Honzo ST – maybe he can talk about how it rides.

13. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I would greatly appreciate it. I’m a bit of a clyde rider so weight is not a concern. That said if @pdqmach26 says that the ride may not be worth the build then I may look elsewhere.

Danmtchl, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Warranty comparison?

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  15. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    For sure ride them before you buy. I know the path has honzo and trance 29 demo's. They likely also have a chameleon demo as well. I know the bike co also has a great demo fleet and great customer service. Hint, not only will most bike shops worth their salt (in this area) be able to have some price flexibility, but many will also apply your demo costs to the purchase of a new bike.

Faust29, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  16. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I am a big fan of the path despite having only been there once. Much more friendlier and less pressure than the local shop that begins with an “I”. I may pay them a couple visits for demos.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I've read and noted that the newer Honzo ST is not too dissimilar to the GG Pedalhead, which I own. In that regard, I'll say it's about as much fun as you could expect from a HT. Riders are running up to 140 forks on Honzos. Build it up with some thoughtful purchases and get it in the dirt. Talk to Ian at The Path. He's a clyde and good rider who owns a Honzo, I think a ST.

18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If you are ferro-curious, those Honzo STs look hard to beat!
    A bit more $$$, but I'm in love with the Cotic Solaris: https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solarisMAX
    I'm contemplating buying one and swapping everything out from my Chameleon, but I think the fork is cut too short to work directly.
    Plus I can find no fault in the Chameleon to justify this!

Faust29, mike, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Faust29, mike, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  20. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    I think as long as I can keep the budget under 3500, would be a pike up front and full GX Eagle with industry 9 pre fabbed wheels, I’d feel pretty good about the build as it would be better than most HT I could buy and better kit than most full squish.

@Cyclotourist , I am very ferro curious. Carbon is cool and all but the allure of steel and the simplicity of a HT just keep drawing me back. In time I’ll go N+1

4D79096B-DC93-434F-BAE9-2BCB8CB58CCE.jpeg

SnakeCharmer, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I was just talking about the Solaris frame, they don't import complete bikes. I saw one of those Ti BD bikes for sale on CL for $400 last year... was VERY tempted to just get it on principle!

So that's yours????!!!!???? If so, awesome-sauce!

22. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    It sure is. I’ve got a headset and B.B. around here somewhere for it. Along with brakes (2015 deore) bars pedals and grips.

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Damn, wrench it up! You plan to run a dropper and ditch the QR collar? It deserves it.

Eek, seeing Janson's History of Art just made my eyelids fall halfway down and head bob.

24. noLungs

noLungs Member

Name:
    Robert
    Current Bike:
    About to flip a coin
    QR would be ditched just as fast as a dropper could be had!

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I mis-read the original posting, and didn't realize you already had it... whatcha' waiting for???

Go get your Floop on!

26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You can tell a lot about someone by their quartersawn white oak craftsman furniture :)

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! I enjoyed that book.

28. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?