All-purpose Lake Tahoe thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 11, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I were thinking of heading up there second week in September. We may end up going back up to Redmond (Bend) though.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Anybody with a Tahoe/Truckee urge, it looks now like I'll be riding out the summer here.

More people on the trails this year, but not the crowds SoCal riders are accustomed to.

Rose to Toads is tentatively scheduled for 9/6. I plan to ride the route whether or not the event takes place. Because it's incredible. https://tamba.org/upcoming-events/rose-to-toads/ Any of you pain lovers want to join, you'll basically get three excellent rides in one day. Some pics of the route showed up in my recent Rim Trail report – unmatched scenery and trail quality. I'll be shooting for sub 12-hrs; won't need any of the official support (or an official entry, for that matter), I have the water resupplies and route dialed.

I'm up for most anything, though shuttles are out and size is in.

3. Titus

Titus Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Figure I'd revive the Tahoe thread for summer '21. I'll be up there from June 1-15 and staying in Truckee. Hopefully most of the snow will be melted and the trails won't be
    overrun /blown out yet. If anyone will be there and wants to ride, let me know. Hoping to hit Mammoth on the way home for a few days. Looking forward to being in beautiful Tahoe and away from the computer screen!

4. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I may be in Truckee around the same time. Will keep you posted.

herzalot and mike like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good timing, guys. Signs point to our being there then. AYE

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and kingaucho like this.
  6. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon

I’ll be staying at north* from 12- 16 with my son. Going to do hello kitty, pickup sticks, Watson one day. Kingsbury stinger trail next day. Then the park last day. I’m down for a ride. Keep me in mind

aaron.

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. Titus

Titus Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Haven't ridden those trails, but I'm up for it. I'm there until 6/15. Send me a PM when you get to Tahoe and we can figure out the details. Heard they just had snow a couple of days ago!

uzziboy and mike like this.
  8. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon

Did Armstrong connector, TRT, toads once. Took us 10 hours. What a f**king death march. Lol. Good luck on your ride.

mike and herzalot like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hehe, you lowlanders got pounded on that one! Like everyone who runs up there from the lowlands... :bang::geek: I'm trying a buffer strategy to flatten the curve. By October I'm usually at top game, knock on wood.

I'd love to get a run on Kingsbury Stinger, but sounds like there may be snow on it still by then. I have a couple favorites that will be ride-able anytime. Clear Creek out-back from Jacks Valley to Spooner Summit is a early season gem. Extra credit as far as it's dry up to Bench on TRT. @Titus should join up, too. I'll be there/here...

herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm waking up this thread cuz Lake Tahoe is not on fire... :gotnothing:

Some backpacker friends are coming to hike the full Tahoe Rim Trail. (Smoked out of Whitney area.) I'm thinking it would be fun to load up the bike and meet them for a night. Of course bring sandwiches, cold beverages and hot tea. :geek:

A lap around the Lake is high on my to-do list as well.

~JB~ and Danimal like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I still want to get up there for a lap. Have you considered Bones to Blue as well since you've done the Lake route? You could probably get on route right out the front door.

~JB~ and mike like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I feel like I’ve done enough around the Lake to pick my own route around it. You know I always veer off anyway...

I’d like to do a more-TRT version, as the Lake Trail hugs the water and is a crazy PITA west of Mt Rose Highway. I’d add some road and a services stop along the shore to avoid that. Lapping Lake Trail with two bivies from Truckee is do-able; adding and subtracting dirt and road here and there should total about the same effort.

You’re on a roll, get up here and we’ll figure it out, or if I’m detained you have a good base.

herzalot, ~JB~ and evdog like this.
  13. solislbc

solislbc Member

Name:
    G
    Current Bike:
    2020 Yeti SB130
    Are you affected by the smoke from the complex fire north of Tahoe? Seems to be headed away from you.

herzalot likes this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    AQ around Tahoe has not been affected by the fire.

solislbc and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    AQ north and west of Lake Tahoe, including Truckee and Donner Pass, is now affected by the Tamarack fire.

solislbc, UPSed and DangerDirtyD like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?