Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Maybe you would all stop crashing on the intermediate trails if you stopped staring at girlies asses....

2. jwag

jwag Member

Name:
    Jeff Wagner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower LT, Milk Money SS
    OK...I must have missed something....What is going on with Lizards???

3. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Oh man, I hope they don't screw up Lizards. The top part is the fun part.

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, it got a little beat up, and it's my understanding LCF is planning to do some work on it once we get some rain. Currently there's been a booth at the top and I guess some sort of user survey/census(?). I'm hoping for the best, but I guess it'd be a good time to let the rangers know if you like riding it. Maybe stop in at the top, too, and sign the register if that's still going on.

bvader, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    There's an effort to make Lizard another hiking-only trail. Not a surprise, since there are also efforts to make both parks void of bikes. Perhaps the one-trail-at-a-time tactic is the latest, striking while the iron is hot, so to speak.

6. jwag

jwag Member

Name:
    Jeff Wagner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower LT, Milk Money SS
    I saw the tent..not the survey. Ill look harder. Not to hijack...but more people bike every day...more trails being closed due to fires and or stupididy....little to nothing "legally" created. is there any wonder we are at a breaking point.? Hello Bend!

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl, kioti and 6 others like this.
  7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    an effort by who? I seem to remember that when it officailly opened in 2015 the park and /or lcf touted it as giving us another trail to legally ride and designed it with mtb's in mind.

8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    The End Of Days. Crap.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Land managers, LCF and City officials are constantly under pressure to close off trails to mt. bikes. So far, they have been able to resist that pressure.

Mikie, Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Please... I only stare if they are over 21. :oops:

Faust29, Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have never crashed on those trails.

Mikie likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    No, you certainly haven't.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  13. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    LCF?

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not sure. Just heard about it. Didn't see it myself. I guess without firsthand knowledge, I am guilty of propagating gossip. LCF built the (official) trail with bikes in mind, I trust that Hallie would not lead an effort to eliminate bikes.

Besides, this is the BikeCo thread, so I'll move this over to the Aliso thread if there's more to say on the matter. :thumbsup:

15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Are they collecting sigs at the top of Lizards? If so, I will go out tomorrow and give my opinion on that. Lizards would actually be a great bike only trail (and one way). What a crappy trail for hiking ... you have to hike nothing but fire roads from every direction just to get to it (although there is that mysterious hiking only trail at the bottom ... I don't know where that goes).

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Isn't the tent just there for volunteers/trail stewards to just remind users of other users. I thought there was a call out recently for volunteers to do something like this? @Andy ?

Mikie, kioti and Danmtchl like this.
  17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If it’s there to remind the ebikers not to climb lizards, it’s on the wrong end.

Obsidian, Mikie, kioti and 2 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yes, LCF volunteers could sign up via the LCF website to count hikers and riders. Bike bells were/are being handed out. The ezy-up canopy is just a sun shade for the volunteers...
    Several email newsletters have all been “positive” and “complimentary” on the proceedings (so far)...

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  19. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Moving this to the trail advocacy thread:

So I guess the question then is why the counting? At LCF request? The county’s? As I recall from the last SHARE meeting, there wasn’t a clear indication what was being done with the data?

Do we need to organize a large group of very well behaved mountain bikers to show up when they’re counting users lest we be under counted??

I always make sure to sign in at the bottom of Willow when they have the sign up sheet there.

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Over 18 you said? Oh, don't mind me ... I have been known to suffer on climbs up Mathis just because I had no real interest in passing certain hikers. LOL.

21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Folks I ride Lizard plenty. There were some volunteers out there on at the beginning. I haven't seen any in a couple weeks... OTOH I have been riding a bit later. I did talk to the volunteer. I made a a comment to record a responsible MTBer. I asked him what he was doing ... Made a comment about trail needs work and they were trying get a better sense of the trail usage. Some hikers getting surprised. He commented on my Bell I said it only makes sense / works if the hikers can hear...i.e do not wear headphones. I do not really think he was in the know or an influencer but he seemed genuine about the conversation on how to make it better but was not sure of what the next steps. He did mention that trail work is part of the plan.

I have noticed when I ride a bit later Sat / Sun I have the parks nearly to myself....it's just we are all trying to occupy the same places between 8-10am...that and a systemic, self centered, narcisistic, inconsiderate, entitled lack of common sense culture that seems to be pervasive these days.

Wow I sound like grumpy old man!!!

Grassblade23, kioti, Obsidian and 8 others like this.
  22. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I intentionally try to start my rides after 9 am for this exact reason. Even during the summer months... a blazing hot empty park is more keen to me than a warm crowded park. As long as I don't pass out from the heat, I'm golden.:thumbsup:o_O

Faust29, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  23. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    This dude is still at it ... says he delivered 3,000 signatures to park rangers.

Screenshot_20180927-165701_Gmail.jpg

24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’ve had enough of reminding them that they are riding illegally so I just call them kooks like we used to do to tools at the beach.

I promise I won’t write “Beat it e-kooks” in chain lube in the parking lots though.

25. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    E-Kooks and Barn-E's

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    He's a world class asshat!

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    He may be an Asshat, but he is working his issue. I wonder how much effort we are putting in to prevent eBike infiltration, and fighting for our rights to OC Parks?

Not a slam, just sharing that passion gets people motivated, gets people activated, and gets things done. If he makes enough of a ruckus and shows enough numbers, you guys will either be riding next to eBikes on your trails or get banned.

What are the cycling purist coalition doing down there?

28. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It appears they're bitching and moaning about the e-bike dudes getting organized. :rolleyes:

29. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m going to assume the Rangers have seen this. If not can someone give me a way to contact the Rangers so I can send this to them? This guy should actually be getting a visit from Johnny Law to cease and desist. Although I’m feeling pretty confident they are monitoring our web site as well.

30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Mostly I think we’re trying to figure out what the current threats really are, and what steps, if any, need to be taken. Who is an ally for access, and who is not.

It’s been a good 10 years for access here. The very trails we are worried about losing right now were not “on the map” back then. Oaks went from a lump of charcoal with zero access, to machine built tabletop jumps and miles of singletrack.

We are witnessing the end of a season of building, as the existing parks are basically built out. Which is its own concern—if you aren’t growing, you’re dying, as they say.

I’m not sure what flag I would be expected to rally to at this point. IMBA is a conflicted organization, as it’s in many ways the lobbying organ of the bike industry, which is essentially the e-bike industry now.

I know what I think we need: strict prohibition on e-machines in the parks, opening of existing park acreage full time, new trails in the Santa Anas, and a voluntary education campaign to encourage riders to avoid impacted weekend mornings locally (weekends are for road trips). I’m not seeing a proper mechanism for advancing those projects yet.