Aliso and Woods Canyons Wilderness Park Access at Ranger Station

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knucklebuster, Mar 11, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Jim (Kioti) posted this issue in another thread, the Awma Rd. bridge may be closed (maybe now, maybe soon). OC Parks website says it is closed now as of 3/10/16. They suggest parking across Alicia at Niguel Regional Park and crossing Alicia to access the ranger station. That may make the upper entrance (Canyon Vistas) really busy.
    This is the latest update I could find...
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bridge-707577-aliso-county.html

This from OC Parks:
    March 11, 2016
    Awma Bridge Closed

No vehicle access to Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park parking lot due to Awma Road bridge closure.

Beginning March 10, the South Orange County Wastewater Authority (SOCWA) is closing the Awma Road Bridge until further notice. Visitors may park at Laguna Niguel Regional Park at 28241 La Paz Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 and cross Alicia Parkway at the marked crosswalk to access Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park. Detour Map

Mikie, Andy, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I would personally look for alternatives to crossing Alicia at that crosswalk, such as coming in from Wood Canyon Drive and turning on Knollwood, which curves around and parallels the Ranger Station entry road. Hopefully Knollwood will be made 2-way during the closure so the regular parking lot can be accessed and the Mormons can go to church.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The Mormons will take wagon trains if necessary to get to church. I know. I grew up as one.

Mikie, Danimal, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You can park near the soccer fields off Wood Canyon road, or in the elementary school parking lot and ride in, just as we did when the Ranger Station Lot was closed.

5. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    So, they spent all that money upgrading a parking lot that really didn't need it, and now we can't even park there?

Mikie, Danimal and knucklebuster like this.
  6. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Last couple of times I was there, the street from the ranger lot out past the school was one way going out. Maybe that was just when school was starting or ending(?) Obviously they have to have a way to get to the church....

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes it is one way, but you can park on either side of the street up to that sign and you can park in the Elementary school lot on weekends. This is what we did when the main lot was closed.

When I drove by this morning, the bridge was still open to cars one direction (in).

8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Concur, I rode through the lot on my way out and it was open the same as it was last week. There was a official like vehicle parked with someone inside ready to ticket anyone that was going to go through the wrong way back out to Alicia.

herzalot likes this.
  9. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Rode Aliso this morning. The bridge is still open, but the sign said it will be closed on 3/18.

10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Looks to me like OCParks is figuring that bikers and hikers will still be able to use the bridge - I wouldn't be so sure.
    If there is no hiker/biker access it would really suck for me. I ride the road bike 2-3x a week across that bridge.

Saw a security looking vehicle there last nite about 5:45; by 7 he was gone.

I think it's just a pure power play by the wastewater agency. They don't want to pay to fix/maintain the bridge and so want to pass it off on others. They have other access to their plant, even though that bridge is probably the most convenient for them.
    Is the county still basically broke? I don't see them paying for it.
    Laguna Niguel probably doesn't care
    Aliso Woods city and/or HOA's probably do care - it's a big shortcut for a lot of people. Will they pony up the $?
    Mormon Church would really really care. Otherwise, their access is a mess.

My bet is that Aliso Viejo/HOA take it over; with some $ from the church too. Second guess is the county takes it over. Third guess is it gets demolished. Even that would cost the wastewater agency $, so there best play is to sucker another agency into actually buying it from them. They'd probably even still get to use it. Win/win for them.

I took a pic of the new sign posted by the wastewater authority. Might be a little difficult to read.

AWMA Bridge Sign.jpg

11. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Mikie and herzalot like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    Cougar likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?