12hrs of Temecula???

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, May 19, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    June 6....

12hrs/6hrs of Temecula out at Vail Lake

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.socalendurance.net/12--6-hours-of-temecula.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.socalendurance.net/12--6-hou ... ecula.html</a>

Who is in?

I'll be out there in SS Solo....12hr.

2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm trying my first enduro race the next day on the 7th out there. I might come up that day to practice, not sure. I'm trying to get out there this weekend to practice, but I'm not actually sure if those trails are open outside of the events. It looks like it is behind an RV park of some ilk - it certainly doesn't look like county/state/federal land.

Good luck :)

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    You can ride out there anytime.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This falls on the same day as the Big Ring... I'd really consider it, but I'm looking forward to my 2nd road ride of the year. :D

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Road riding is reserved for those times of the year when the trails are too wet to ride. :thumbup:

6. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    I'm waffling between this and Big Ring... I've been wanting to do an endurance race for a while. But I may just wait for November.

For those that have done these things, what is the one thing you wish someone had told you before you did it? Any preparation tips?

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Set a goal and have a game plan.

You should know what your endurance is like....so set a goal of riding that long, plus and extra hour or 2. So if you are good to go for 4-6 hours, make your goal 6 or 7 laps. Make it a goal that you will have to work for.

Have a game plan for your nutrition replacement...this is more trial and error...but usually you go with what you know works. However, you cannot survive all day on water, a couple of gels and Clifbar. At some point you will need to put some real food in. PBJ sandwiches are good, as are anything salty, especially if it is warm/hot.

Don't get caught up in the pace at the beginning....endurance races are not won in the first few hours, but they can be lost.

Enjoy it....you will suffer, but so is everyone else out there....and everyone else knows how you feel.

Most of all have fun, the 1st one is always the learning experience. Endurance races are fun, much more laid back than sprint races. Instead of tapping the heart rate at 110% for 1:30-2:00, you run at 75-80% all day. Riders tend to be more supportive as well...especially towards the Solo's.

At the end of the day they are a lot of fun....but also a great sense of accomplishment.

Just a word of warning.....once you do 1 race....you'll wanna do more. You may not think so, especially right after you finish. Yet, after the pain goes away, you will start thinking about the next one...and before you know it, you have already signed up.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Man... And I was looking forward to an easy day of 125+ miles on the road bike. Now you got me thinking about this! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    12 hours at 11 mph on a MTB = 132 miles. Even better, right? :p

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Absolutely!

Well... I might have to adjust that estimate downward just a bit... Like 50 miles or so. :lol:

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Who can hold that pace for 12 hours? I'd rather take it even slower at 8-9 MPH, to make sure I have my "endless energy" feeling for as long as possible, rather than burn out earlier and suffer, hoping for multiple 2nd winds (or are they called 3rd, 4th, 5th winds). All about knowing your threshold power output and riding it, maybe with a few short bursts here and there. Like a long training ride and a test of discipline and sport science understanding, the way I see it. Can't be trying to keep up with the rabbits if you want a decent result, instead taking the slow, steady, and rhythmic tortoise approach. 65% of max HR is a good target to maintain, which would be 130 bpm for me.

It sucks not having an EZ up at the staging area to set up refuel supplies. It's pretty far to the parking area. Bring a wide variety of sports drinks and food. After 5 hours, citrus flavored stuff, drinks and gels, tend to get old and you begin want something crunchy, salty and savory. This is where teaming up with a club pays off.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

At the January race, my average speed was just a tick under 10 mph(9.8).

It is possible....how do you think some of the Solo riders did 12/13/14 laps in 12hrs. The 2 guys ahead of me in SS Solo I was chasing did 11 & 12 laps. Laps were 9.7 miles.

Someone has to be the rabbit.

EZ Up/Canopy at the the pits doesn't truely matter...for solo's. You are not stopping long enough to enjoy the shade. It is really there more for your support team. Ideally you roll in and get your NASCAR pit change and go. Hanging out in between laps only slows you down and causes you to begin to lose motivation.

13. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I was kind of hoping someone would jokingly answer that as "endurance freaks" such as Tinker. Joking about such a semi-realistic pace to people here mentioning that it's potentially the first time trying such a race could be setting them up for failure. Just trying to keep it real, to encourage interest and to get first timers to ride the entire event with grace, rather than retire early, which is a good first goal. I consider a decent result as one that's at least ahead of all those who dropped out at least. If some big name dropped out, you can brag that you came out ahead. I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Figure people fear what they don't know, and sharing knowledge would make them more comfortable trying it out. Wondering what's your setup like for refueling stops. A cooler and a container for food and bike gear? Pre-mixed drinks in spare bottles? Or maybe just the mix with fresh water separate? No big bath sized towels, right?

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I am not at all concerned that anyone on this forum would push themselves to the point of exhaustion, or puking, or dehydration and death because of a pace and distance I jokingly put out there.

But anyone who would will end up exactly where they should be when the are done.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Going out and trying....is a victory.

As for my Pit....I usually have at least 1 person helping me out, in January I had 2 people. I gave my pit crew a set of directions of what I wanted after each lap that I came in. This would include water vs. Skratch, when I wanted some solid food vs. gels. When I needed to mount my lights, when I wanted my colder weather gear. This worked really well for most of the race. However as it got later, I began to change it up a little bit. I just let them know what I needed next time around and it was ready after my lap. Except for 1 lap when one crew member went for a ride and the other was being social a few pits down....D'oh!!!!

Drinks were not premixed before the race, but were mixed before the laps that I asked for it. This allowed me to alter how much was in the bottle.

Each crew member had a job...... 1 was responsible for taking the old bottle and putting the new bottle on. The other would take care of food issues and gear.

Fortunately on the SS, lubing the chain was never an issue.

If I were to go unsupported, everything would be premade/cut/mixed...etc. and put in a cooler.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for the pit description... If I were to try this, I would most likely be unsupported, and have to have everything ready to go. This is a whole new level of nutrition planning! :shock:

17. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Guys, try Tailwind for endurance races. <a class="postlink" href="http://Www.tailwindnutrition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">Www.tailwindnutrition.com</a>. The stuff is amazing and legit. I use it for all my rides longer than 1.5 hours. It offers nutrition and all your electrolytes in your bottle. It works great.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Thanks.....I have my nutrition pretty dialed in for these kind of all day rides.

19. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Heard really things about Tailwind. Not totally happy about stuff I've tried in the past like Perpetuem, at least with some flavors. Seems to be one of the new age tier of powdered organic nutrition like Scratch labs stuff. Got any more info on it?

20. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Their website has a lot of good information so check there for lot's of good stuff. I was also using Perpeteum and hated it. I didn't like how thick it was and it tasted terrible on hot days. The Tailwind is actually really light in two ways. It has a light flavor and it's flavored just enough to keep you drinking more. I've tried all the flavors and they are good, not overpowering or syrupy. What I like most is that is light enough that it mixes really easily in your Camelback or your water bottle. You don't have to shake it too much to get it to dissolve and it rinses out easily.

Their customer service is also really good if you have specific questions. You can email or call them and they will actually help you dial in your Tailwind nutrition. Seriously, this stuff is amazing because I tend to lose my appetite on really long rides and hate stopping to force down a power bar or a Gu. I like the fact that for every sip of water I am getting the much needed calories AND electrolytes on a constant basis throughout my entire ride, so you never go into depletion. And if you look at their electrolyte numbers, they are super high and they try to basically replace your sweat (good thing). Most other electrolyte drinks do not have enough electrolytes, causing you to cramp or supplement with salt tabs/endurolytes.

They state that your body can only process about 250-300 calories per hour during exercise, so you simply add 2-3 scoops of Tailwind per 20-24 ounces and that's it. Each scoop is 100 calories. You no longer need to pack Gu, peanut butter sandwiches, power bars, honey stingers and stop to eat them or try to eat them while riding!

You end up saving money using only the Tailwind because that is all you need. No need for all the other crap to carry and eat.

I do not use Tailwind for rides less than 1.5 hours since nutrition is not really a big concern. I usually just bring some water with a flavor enhancer added.

edit...I also tried Skratch labs stuff and in my opinion Tailwind is way better...for me.

Hope this helps.

Rob

21. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    So I am signed up as part of a 4 man team for the 12 Hour. Hopefully I will see a few of you out there. I heard this event is a lot of fun, looking forward to it.

22. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    BTW...for those looking to try this type of race out, its a great community vibe. If you need something, pretty much all you have to do is ask. Sometimes its a chair in the shade. Sometimes its ice, endurolytes, or an extra bottle. Sometimes its on the course or in the pits. If someone has it, they'll offer it up because everyone needs trail karma, and we've all been hurting before.

I've done solo, 2-man, and 3-man teams...each one is different, and doing each one told me a little bit about myself, and what is possible.

Don't be concerned if your normal ride nutrition doesn't work...unless you know how your body reacts, its hard to get it right on the first try.

Probably the most important thing to remember is that its a long game, not a sprint, and even though it might be tough to get out of the chair, sometimes your body needs to catch up. I know of a beginner who bonked after 4 hard laps, had a cheeseburger, shower, nap, and then went back out and did 3 more laps...picking up a podium spot in the process.

AND MAKE SURE TO HAVE SOME FUN WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!

p.s....Kasel/JAX will be out there with at least a three-man, looks like a 4-woman team combo with another team, some 6-hour solos, and hopefully our crazy Aussie SS'er giving mtnbikej a run for his money.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Again????? :cry: :eek: :eek: :lol:

It is a fun time....good vibe. Everyone out there is suffering just as bad....but usually just at different times.

Everyone is really encouraging, especially when they see someone who is struggling. I was impressed by that the last time.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You guys are not making this easy. :roll:

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    If it was easy anyone could decide. :D

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Come on.....join in on the sufferfest. :twisted: .....er, funfest. :p

27. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Or come do the Enduro the next day with me!

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good God... What did I just sign up for? :)

I'm in- 12 hour solo beginner. I wasn't sure if I should do the beginner, Clyde, etc... In the end, I'm sure it won't matter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    You'll be happy, sad and pissed off that you signed up for it. :lol:

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Right now I feel a little nauseous. What the heck did I do... :sick: :sick: :sick:

My wife is going to help me pack everything, and she'll drive me out the morning of... I'll probably lose her to a local gambling establishment for a few hours, though. :D As long as she brings back some real food after the 6 hour mark, I'll be happy! I'm guessing that I'll hit the wall some time after that...