Tomorrow, Sunday 11-29: Coldwater trail

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by mike, Nov 28, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-29-15
  1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Meet at HJ parking at 8am or pedal up from the wash parking.

Up HJ and hike Upper HJ to the start of Coldwater. Optionally, ride up the road and drop down UHJ a short distance. Even more optionally, you start at the bottom of ITT and meet me on Main Divide at the bottom of Upper Holy Jim (this eliminates one up-n-over the range).

Plummet down an unlikely-looking ridge through a wild part of the forest. Lots of fast riding on a narrow trail with many tight but do-able switchbacks, leading to minimal HAB and steep dirt and chunk pitches for the finish.

Refill water at Deleo Sports Park, ascend Indian Truck Trail to Main Divide, back down HJ.

This ride is mostly about endurance in getting back over the mountain. The steepest sections on CW are minimal in number and not too lengthy. This is a ride you could dismount the hard stuff without sullying the fun of the trail/ride, so if you have some legs and a little sense, you're in. No hammering pace; breaks as needed.

Conditions will be...COLDwater; high at 3000' el. is forecast at under 60° with 5-10 mph breeze. Recent rain will undoubtedly have the trail surface epic-freaking-awesome, so the savvy fun hog will bring tech chops and be psyched to send the shite.

Geoladders link courtesy of mtbj:
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=62961

ridinrox and Runs with Scissors like this.
  2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I've been hearing too much about this holy Jim dude. I'm seriously considering this. Any body from up north wanna come with me and my friend Scott?

rossage, mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Holy Jim beat the crap outta me last time I went. On a hardtail, doing HJ once is enough. For me, anyway. I may climb it, but I won't be descending it again.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I need to get the FS out and tuned up, so I can join on one of these... The hike up UHJ was a grind today, but the views make up for it. :thumbsup: LHJ was perfect... Except for the hikers out in droves.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Luis and Scott, it'll be worth the trip I ussure...

We have extra credit options, too. As long as you have to climb Indian Truck Trail, might as well skooch over to Yeager for a little more mileage and a lot more fun on the return. A-grade trail conditions or your money back, with no obligation :sneaky:

Cool weather, save on water weight. Bring minimal for the 6-mi Holy Jim climb and CW descent. At the bottom we fill water at Deleo Sports Complex in Corona. Then a fire road climb to however we finish up. Holy Jim is a classic, fast descent, but tagging Los Pinos peak and getting the Bell-to-Yeager sweetness would be insane with trail conditions and an incredible loop tour of the mountain. Get them petrol dollars worth. :thumbsup: Bring lots of nutrition and let's fire it!

ridinrox, Luis and rossage like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Are you meaning Upper Holy Jim? The regular is pretty smooth aside from that rocky patch just before 3 miles up.

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Luis, mike serves up the finest technical singletrack in the OC. You will not be disappointed, even by a ding dong!

ridinrox, mike, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Looks like a GO
    HJ trailhead. Should be easy to find...:geek:

mike, Cougar and ridinrox like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

Bring yer pads.....

mike likes this.
  10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    No, Runs w/Scissors doesn't like exposure. Descending Lower HJ was a bit too much for him when we did a Harding -> HJ loop a few months ago.

mike and mtnbikej like this.
  11. Jtran69

Jtran69 Newbie

Name:
    Joe Tran
    Current Bike:
    Superlight
    Mike, you have geoladder for Trabuco trail since my time is limited? Can it be ridden under 3 hours?

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    mike likes this.
  13. Jtran69

Jtran69 Newbie

Name:
    Joe Tran
    Current Bike:
    Superlight
    Thank for the link! Its my first time using it.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wicked good!

The parking lot is signed just inside the forest gate 2.75 mi up the dirt road and also at the lot 2 miles farther up. Expect a half hour of driving the 4.5 mi off the pavement to the lot. The only vague part is the turn off Trab Canyon Rd to the dirt Trab Creek Rd. It's right next to (east of) a bridge ("the wash") that usually has a flashing yellow light set up, looks like an open parking area but the road continues through. Trabuco Oaks Rd is the closest signed intersection on Trab Canyon Rd, and it's just 150 yards west of the bridge and dirt road. Also immediately west, on the opposite side of the wash, there are signs pointing up a paved road toward Joplin Boys Camp and Rose Canyon Cantina. You can't miss with those landmarks. Stay on the main dirt road. You'll pass bridge construction in the forest on its left side and then Holy Jim Volunteer Fire Dept barn on your left immediately before another bridge and the parking lot.

No phone reception for most once a couple miles out the dirt, so ping me early if you need to leave a message.

See ya there!

Luis likes this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Luis likes this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Oh man! You guys are gonna get worked! And it will be worth it!!!!

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No, LHJ. Just wasn't my cup o' tea.

mike likes this.
  18. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    mike, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I always ride in, but if I weren't local, I'd park in the neighborhood on el Camino Montana, Antonio Parkway by Trabuco Mesa Park, or on Las Flores. There are a few ways to drop into the canyon from there.

mike, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks to Luis and Scott for great company and solid riding on the hill today.

Weather conditions were optimal. Coldwater was fun up high but down low was in the worst shape I've seen it. A big rut in the center of much of the trail, with decomposing sides creating a V groove. Props to the guys for taking it in stride, as I felt a little lame to bring them down this dumb mess of a trail. Last time I rode it was the most fun I've had on it. Today, probably the least. We consoled ourselves by having extra fun ripping down Holy Jim on the final leg.

Here's to another plan becoming a memory. Good to tick em off, and good to ride with some new bros with all the right stuff. Woohoo, mountain biking. Cheers, L and S!

21. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yea we got worked but it was worth it!
    image.jpeg

Faust29, pperrelle, mike and 9 others like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Where's your other glove, Michael Jackson? !??
    Didn't forget your trail tp did you?

Faust29, pperrelle, mike and 4 others like this.
  23. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Love this shot! Yep, that's mike w FULL STOKE!!!

pperrelle, mike, rossage and 2 others like this.
  24. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Hey Ross at least you didn't point out I only have one blue ball showing (on my handlebar) :eek::confused::cool:

mike and rossage like this.
  25. CalEpic

CalEpic Member

Name:
    Craig
    Hey guys, it was nice meeting you out on the trail. It was a beautiful day for a ride in the mountains. The Coldwater steeps are good and rowdy right now.
    Craig

mike likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?