This weekend Rides? 10/31/14

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Mikie, Oct 29, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have a meeting in Palmdale at work on Friday from 12:00 noon to 2:00pm and a Backhoe Job on Saturday... :(
    Anybody have any riding plans going on outside those times anywhere on the Planet Earth reachable in time with the Time Machine?
    Daylight Savings Time starts this weekend so in-week rides are getting cut off for me soon! :cry:

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Looking for something myself. Don't have all Saturday for the hell ride. Can you ride Sunday?

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Rain predicted 70% Friday eve and 40% Saturday in OC mountains, so Sunday might be the killer day.

I might not have a bike this weekend, but if I do I will be up for something in the forest; Los Piños, Bell Ridge, Coldwater, Skinsuit, Yeager Mesa type of stuff preferred.

4. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yes, strong possibility I can ride Sunday...

How far away are these places from Frazier Park. I might just snag UPSed and commute your way...

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Mikie, these are all in the Santa Anas, entering on the SE (beach) side at various points up and down the range. Versus your drive out last time, some will be a little shorter, some longer. Los P normally is started off Ortega Hwy, others start at Holy Jim area, Skinsuit is entered via Silverado Cyn. (Not sure what, if any, fire issues affect this area, so maybe a safer bet staying more south.) Cities nearby are Orange, Irvine, Trabuco Canyon, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano.

LP is the wildest of the ones I mentioned, a more tame version of that is Bell Ridge. Both have great position, vistas and at times rough, loose riding. Those are my top picks, fun ridges with payoff getting down.

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I prefer the wild :? Be nice if I could get someone to fly down there with me. I'm definitley up for an adventure!

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thinking of doing Strawberry Peak before winter sets in. [emoji14]

8. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I'm riding Cheseboro on Sunday with Kevin(wingerdinger) and Randall, not sure who else. Thinking of starting off Las Virgenes Rd. so we can finish with gaspipe and maybe hit Ireland trail to finish.
    with be heading up to China Flats, maybe Simi Peak as extra credit and then down Suicide. Decide then to either climb up Dead Cow back to China Flats or cut over to Palo Camodo Cyn, then back up to Gaspipe and beyond.

btw- never rode Ireland trail, maybe Ed can give me directions from bottom of Gaspipe.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Right on...the high is forecast at 70 degrees, with heavy rain on Friday PM and maybe some Sat is gonna equal great conditions. Somebody share the drive with Mikie and feast on a burly OC adventure. You saw the report by Scott Forty G; let's knock that bad boy off. It's a chill 13 mile climb to the ridge, a summit tag of Los Piños Peak, then up and down fun, good to the last turn. Position unmatched in the Santa Anas, and technical challenge galore.

10. Ed/Mikie, how about T3 off Kanan to the Overlook? Or Cab to the Malibu overlook on SATURDAY?

I'd like to share my 300,000k accomplishment with friends.

11. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I've got a beer festival I will be attending on Saturday, and I believe Mikie's first post said he was working on Saturday?

12. BCrummett

BCrummett Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo HD3
    Are you going to ride Strawberry Peak tomorrow morning 10/31?

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No. Unfortunately I only have weekends to ride.

14. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    NOT counting the 12 weeks of vacation.....

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That would be you Scottay. I only get 8 weeks a year. [emoji14]

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    What time are you starting Todd? Rode the east side last weekend but wouldn't mind riding it again.

17. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I believe it's 7am, just waiting to confirm with Kevin.

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Post Robbers! :roll: :)

Mike give a location and a time and I will work the strategy tonight. :cool:

19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Come out Mikie! Sounds like we will be covering a lot of ground.

20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Oh I would love to! But I been there done that...
    I like to hit up new dirt when I get a chance and I don't get a chance to hit the trail with the "Ted Nugent"" of MTB very often! :lol:

21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Just curious Ted, I mean mike. What time will your ride start. And why the hell is all the good burly stuff so far away?

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, wangdangers,

We can push the start to whatever sane time you guys want. Days are long enough to still finish well in the light, and there is really no heat to beat Sunday. Mo and I did a jumbo version of the ride and it took us about 9 hours, started late, went slow-ish, got benighted in the final :45. I'm guessing three hours quicker this time, doing the normal loop (up San Juan to Main Divide to LP Ridge back thru Lazy W Ranch to TH).

The start is the San Juan Trailhead off Ortega Highway between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore. Heading east on Ortega Hwy, take a left where you see a sign for Lazy W Ranch on your left. Take this paved and dirt rd for a short distance past cabins and you'll come to an open area on your left (the road continues). This is the FS trailhead with bathroom, trash cans, picnic table. The Ranger there is aggro about the national forest adventure pass, so bring/display if ya got.

You guys name a time, I'm there.

hb, idunno, seems like there is some good stuff worth driving for almost everywhere. I don't know your hood well at all, but Nordhoff Ridge above Ojai is similar to CNF down here. I'm surprised if there's not more of that kinda stuff around Angeles and LPNF. But nothing like fresh dirt...I pull out the good stuff when you guys come down, ya know. This is an amazing tour of the southern Santa Anas with loads of techie stuff that a lot of riders simply won't do because of the size/commitment. It'll be a blast...

23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    You've looked at the weather right??

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    NOAA: Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. North wind around 5 mph becoming west in the morning.

Couldn't be better for a long ride, IMO.

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Okay, livegonzos,

9am at San Juan trailhead on Sunday. Or let me know otherwise!

Precip forecast upgraded to 100% tonite and Saturday. Maybe some rain ruts leftover, but no dust and firm surface will be primo...

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey mike! New development is forcing me to ride closer to home this weekend... :( So sorry bud!

as well...
    I did read the ride report by Scott Forty G. . . . Excellent Report! :clap: : <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1591</a>
    It's great to see guys stepping up to do awesome reports with so many pics like that. I know how much work goes in to them... ;)

27. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    Sycamore Canyon

I think I might have to go hit Sycamore Canyon in Riverside if it ends up raining tonight or in the morning. My wife and I rode out there last year in the rain and it held up really well. There is also the bonus of being able to get in a little shopping at Jenson after the ride. If anybody is looking to join someone for a ride feel free to meet up with us at the Jenson parking lot around 8:45. White Honda Ridgeline, Doug and Kam

28. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Doug - we may join you on Sunday @ Sycamore IF this rain really happens.
    Kay

29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Hey mike, I would love to meet and ride with you sometime, I was waiting for a little more info on the ride, thanks for that. I saw the earlier ride report and saw that there was alot of HAB, which I always try to ride as much as possible, and tech I love, but I am just not in good enough shape for a 6 hr. HAB and to many hrs. of driving. I do have some big rides on the books but I need to work up to them. I have a trail in my yard that is best after rain so I'm going to hang in the yard. Maybe we can ride somewhere in the middle.

30. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    That would be great. We are leaving Long Beach at 8, hope to see you there

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?