The IT band...

Discussion in 'Health' started by rossage, Dec 5, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yup! We focus on unconventional medical procedures around her, we stay "cutting" edge. Just ask @Runs with Scissors ...:rolleyes:o_O

Faust29, H2oChick, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Seems like a pretty common sentiment on some trails....

And now for something completely different!

Was feeling much better yesterday, even getting up and down the stairs was easier. But, the damn thing tightened up overnight-I can see this is going to take a while. Gotta wait until the house is empty so I can do my pain limbo with Mistress Blue.

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Has Yoga been mentioned? Couple times a week fixed my many nagging injuries from my work. It hurts so go. And the yoga pants aren't half bad on the other participants.

BigTex, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Looking into that too. Thanks!

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So my wife went and saw a kinesiologist this week for massage and evaluation.

She talked to him about her constant IT issues. He explained that rolling out the IT band is not a good solution. All you are doing is crushing/smashing the IT band...and now you know why the roller hurts so much. Massage and pressure point release of the connective tissues around the hip was the more effective way to solve the problems.

I'm no doctor....I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night. Whether this is just another view point or not...IDK....but my wife feels pretty good.

mike, bvader, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    That's actually good to know. I can safely say from experience that the roller is one of the most painful Physical Therapies I have ever done. I does not seem logical that something that hurts that bad can be that good for you. Certainly not locked in to using a roller, especially if there is more effective (and less painful) ways to deal with IT challenges.
    TFPU!

herzalot, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I noticed that the roller offers an instant, painful, temporary, loosening of the tendon-at least that's how it feels to me. I had seen some articles describing what you have said a out the roller so I have been wary of using it too much.
    Last night I had a massage and applied heat to the affected area and this morning I feel pretty good. Up and down the stairs without too much pain.
    Going to lay off the bike for a few more days....then it's on!

mike, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  8. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Food for thought, take it with a grain of salt:

"Many runners with IT band inflammation have weak hip muscles. In addition to working on hamstring and quadriceps strength, you need to work on the strength of the hip abductors (muscles that move the leg out to the side), adductors (move the leg inward) and gluteal muscles. Do not increase the distance or intensity of your workouts while adding these exercises to your workout. When you have been working on strength for 3 – 4 weeks, then begin increasing workouts. Continue to work on flexibility."

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-coaches/ask-the-coaches-it-band-hip-abductors

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/s...ndrome/strengthening-iliotibial-band-syndrome

mike, bvader, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Abductor, adductor, and gluteal exercise!
    image.jpeg
    Love gluteal calisthenics!

Mikie, Cyclotourist and rossage like this.
  10. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    try picking up olives off of a block of ice-bare-assed!

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    When my kid was still running cross country in high school, the coach had all the runners buy the rollers... My son liked my old wooden rolling pin from the kitchen better.

mike, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah! I was a spectator at this Olympic event. I scored the pirouettes holding two full pints at a solid 10!

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The news of my demise has been greatly exaggerated!
    I was told by my Dr that I should expect 2-3 weeks of pain and possibly more. But, after a week off the bike, some minor roller work, and heat and massage, I went for a ride today.
    14 miles 2200 epevation
    No pain, no tightness.
    Keeping the heat patches on for recovery.
    Let's ride!

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Let's!

Mikie and rossage like this.
  15. Ryan M

Ryan M Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ryan McCraclem
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Fuel EX8 29
    May sound odd....look into Turmeric with black pepper extract supplements. You can get them at vitamin stores all over.

All the research shows the stuff is as powerful, or more so, than advil, aleve, etc. without the side effects.
    I had constant Patellar Tendonitis after rides and hikes. I have been taking the turmeric supplements for about 6 months and haven't had the knee pain or popped an advil in 4 months now. I have a few buddies on it now and the are noticing similar benefits.

Once you read about it, you'll wonder why doctors don't tell people about stuff like this.

mike, rossage, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey @Ryan M !
    Thanks for the tip!
    1. Don't misjudge @rossage ... he lives for the side effects.
    2. No doubt doctors will not tell you about it. That advice would not attach to their bank account and that is all a doctor cares about.

Cathy is reading up on it now. Interestingly the pepper extract assists in making it more soluble by 2000%!
    Looks like a good call! Way to go!

mike, rossage and Faust29 like this.
  17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    We're just a bunch of hippies hiding in foam hats and funny glasses!

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    FTFY :cool:

Mikie likes this.
  19. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Other axiom I use. If you are following a routine to get "back to healthy" whatever time it takes to get back, continue routine for that time more.

I.e. If it takes 3 weeks of every day roller to get back to "no pain" then you actually need to to another 3 weeks to "get ahead" then need to switch to maintenance.

BTW I have been taking some Cayenne, Tumeric, Ginger shots ... not sure if placebo or not... but when someone else mentioned, yeah I am not taking anywhere near the same amount of IBU or ADVIL

YMMV

mike and Mikie like this.
  20. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I appreciate all of the advice and information. I currently do not take any supplements or otc pain relief on a regular basis.

I do have Dr. recommended medical marijuana that I am prescribed to take "as necessary " and since I trust my good Doctor (he has a soul patch! Very professional. ), I follow his directions explicitly.

I will keep the epics to a minimum for the time being....

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  23. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Those side steps with the rubber band are actually pretty magic for knee pain. I've done my share of pt the last few years, and any time I felt a twinge under the patella, a few sets for a few days really helped. Get a band that's almost too strong to extend and do 5 sets across the living room. That reminds me, I've got some work to do.

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?