SoCal MTB shuttle services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dustyyoungblood, Oct 16, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I really like where this thread about shuttling is going :thumbsup::sneaky:

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    So in the days before Shuttle services existed, it was considered normal to ride up a trail and then turn around and bomb down. Now it’s considered E-litist? :cautious:
    I’ll take the challenge of the climb before considering a shuttle. Don’t get me wrong though, there are places where a shuttle just makes a lot of sense: Palm Canyon, Cannell or any other long point to point rides.
    I’ve ridden up San Juan, the climb is not horrible, neither is the climb up to Inspiration Point in the San Gabes. :gag:
    Elitist? Nah, I’m old school at best. :geek:

rossage, mike, SingleTrackJB and 10 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Ding....Ding....Ding......

We have a winner.

Thread complete. :thumbsup:

rossage, mike, SingleTrackJB and 7 others like this.
  4. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Well, considering that the earliest forms of MTB was shuttling, I think that is older school. I'm just not a big fan of driving in general (off track) and prefer to ride to wherever I am going.

tick, mike, Sasquatch9billion and 6 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    San Juan is fleeting on your rides.
    Fleeting, I say!

6. Yeah I get that. Maybe I spoke out of turn.

There was a time when all I rode was a 46lb DH specific bike. Everywhere. Pedaling up SJ was stupid and pointless, but it was possible to shuttle there. A pain in the ass, but fun and close to home. It is an elitist attitude when someone says that one trail or another should or should not be shuttled because they only ride XC bikes and are super human it's possible to pedal. Sure, it's possible to pedal up mammoth to, but why?. Not everyone is riding the same equipment or has the same goals. Today I am more inclined to climb, as my goals are different than 12 years ago.

Infact, I think I am going to wake up in the dark and try to pedal up San Juan before work tomorrow. It's been 2 bikes ago and several years since I pedaled up to cocktail rock. See you soon my old friend SJ

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just think of the bragging rights if you rode up Cannell before you rode down Cannnell. :thumbsup:

mike, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  8. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
  9. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Wicked cash roll @30 sec

mike, Cyclotourist and Luis like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Nice hands-free trick. 8/10.

mike likes this.
  11. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    A buddy and I attempted once but reverse. We started at the bottom of San Juan and our goal was coal canyon. Had to bail at maple when my riding partner had some serious stomach issues.

konakc, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I think his exact quote was "I'm sick of this!... I mean... Aie! my stomache!"

13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    LOL, I have never shuttled it. Just passing on info.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    There comes a time when a bivouac is better than a motor. Doing it completely unsupported would be two big days from the foothills. Doing it P to P looks like it would be easier in a push:
    https://tinyurl.com/ycbkkprs

Yea, let's talk about shuttle services. Sorry, dusty. :bang::)

15. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm no speed demon, but rode Coal Canyon to Ortega Highway along the Main Divide in the 6 to 7 hour range. Many could do it faster. Descending San Juan would have been a good option, but I wanted to finish near the top of Ortega since I was riding the North Main Divide. (A 2nd trip was planned to ride the South Main Divide, but I haven't done it to this point. Maybe I will. It's a great ride on the SMD from Ortega to Santa Rosa Plateau, but paved.)

I shuttled my traverse in the sense that I left my truck at Ortega and got dropped off at Green River by the 91. It's also great in the other direction with a fast finish down Coal Canyon from Sierra Peak.

Oh yeah, did it once as a loop where I parked at Green River, rode the Main to Ortega, then bombed down to Lake Elsinore and dragged my sorry butt all the way back to my truck. That one was WAY outside my comfort zone, but the smooth, fast descent to Grand Avenue was sweet after all those rough descents up top.

BTW, it's not all downhill from Blue Jay to the bottom of San Juan, and according to @bvader, there's some funky brush to deal with on the new or old San Juan. Maybe the shuttle company can put together a work crew..

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Interesting that my sentiments have been referred to as elitist, especially given my avatar and propensities towards DH. Listen - nothing on San Juan requires a DH bike, full face and pads unless you are planning to fall off of one of many outsloped, slippery turns. San Juan is a climb that even I enjoy. Yes, you read that correctly, the man who hates to climb actually enjoys (sort of) climbing San Juan. I hate the rutted parts where you have to use all of your energy to cling to one side or the other or to stay in the groove - that isn't fun.

Shuttling San Juan makes no sense. The DH is not that great and doesn't come close to requiring heavy artillery. Someone above (@dustyyoungblood?) quipped that I've probably shuttled Telonics. Yes, but Telonics is a true DH trail, where a DH bike and Full Face are highly recommended, and NOBODY will be riding up the trail. I stand by the statement - do not shuttle trails that people routinely ride up.

PS: Point-to-point shuttles don't count. I am talking DH shuttles.

evdog, Luis, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Ikr? I caught @mike shuttling from the Canadian border to Mexico... not once but TWICE! We all know that Mexico is downhill from Canada... at least it is on the globe!

Luis, Faust29, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  18. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I heard that Maple suryp in Tj sells like liquid gold.

herzalot and Sidewalk like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I don't mind people shuttling San Juan, however, some of those dudes with the heavy armor forget that people actually bike up San Juan.
    they seemed so surprised when they see some one coming up...
    Most don't start so early so you can usually have the climb by yourself...
    One Saturday, a friend of mine and I went up SJ to Blue Jay and met a mtbker eating a GIANT burrito ... he finished it while we chatted.. put on his armor and headed down behind us... we never saw him or his group again...
    Man that burrito looked good..

herzalot, Luis, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  20. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    And I watched another guy (or maybe the same one?) eat a burrito before dropping Motorway. Descenders' snack of choice? Sure beats Tailwind for taste. Can we get a food truck at Blue Jay?

konakc, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My worst day riding was after having a big burrito... I'll let y'all have my share!

konakc, RS VR6, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm gonna try it. Not your burrito pre or post eaten.. a brand new one. Somewhere on the Main Divide next time I'm up there. :p

konakc and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Unlike fish tacos and Tailwind, the burrito stayed down! But I could barely move my pedals I was so shellacked! Literally laid down on the side of the trail and took a nap!

chris-traeger-literally.jpg

24. Nothing better than a chorizo breakfast burrito to shake off a hang over and start a day of shuttling on non shuttling approved trails

UPSed, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  25. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Gonna pack one for ny next main divide.. eat it.. take a nap then ride down!!!!

26. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Brought along a breakfast burrito on a SART ride once. It was good.

LLPoolJ, kioti and dustyyoungblood like this.
  27. I only helicopter shuttle SJ and Telonics
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding-the-tatshenshini-video.html

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, kioti and 3 others like this.
  28. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    Just skimming over the thread so sorry if I missed it but,

Am I the only one who cringes at the idea of a shuttle on any multi-use trail shared with hikers? I get this vision of some crazy storm troopers on 45 pound DH bikes racing down and taking out a pack of cub scouts in a blind high speed turn. I hate to be the pessimist, but I had to share my thoughts. Generally I find that mountain bikers who earn their DH are more responsible.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No you are not. Saw the San Juan Shuttle Co. a few weekends ago when we rode through. Yes, lots of people self shuttle SJ....but there were a lot of hikers out on the trail when we went through.

30. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Re reading this thread..
    Time for a burrito and a beer...perfect spot would be at main divide.. trabuco..pinos intersection...
    Foodtruck spot...

Faust29, mike, kioti and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?