SoCal MTB shuttle services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dustyyoungblood, Oct 16, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. On Sunday 10/15/2017 I saw a white van with graphics that spelled out "SHUTTLE" on it. It was towing a trailer full of mountain bikes. It was heading west on antonio approaching Ortega HWY.

Is there a shuttle service to san juan? Who is this?

List of known SoCal tours and shuttles and tour guides for reference:
    Please rate them or share your experience with them if you have used them.

http://mtwilsonmtbadventure.com/
    http://www.crazybearbikes.com/shuttle/
    https://www.scoaoutdoors.net/
    https://socalbiketours.com/

2. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Maybe we should put together a committee to do quality control testing on all of the above. Then we can report back our trials and trails for the imtb community.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm not much of a shuttler. But, it's for science, sometimes you have to suffer.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.
  4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
  5. Yep that's the van I saw

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    umm.. a shuttle service at san juan just means I gotta start earlier on the climb... still one of my favorites.. especially the lollipop section...

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I only "liked" this post out of disgust. Don't shuttle trails you can ride up. And don't ride an e-mt bike. Thank you.

evdog, Luis, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    All trails in SoCal can be climbed. Some require a bit of HAB, but all can be accomplished sans shuttle.

Luis, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hey smart-guy, you know I meant riding up the trail - or at least 90% of it.

10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Crazy Bear is Shuttling for 3 days in Kern, doing Camp Nelson, Freeman and Cannel. I think next weekend.

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    How much is it to get a ride down after I finish the climb?

Fanatic, MolarM, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  12. That's just elitist speak. Don't tell me you never shuttled Telonics when it's just a simple pedal up around the corner.

13. They pay you, if you drive the van

Mikie, SnakeCharmer and mike like this.
  14. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm getting a hardtail and get paid to climb!

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Sidewalk and 3 others like this.
  15. I used to self shuttle San Juan all the time, like 10 years ago, wicked good fun on a DH bike with a Full face helmet and pads and goggles in/after a rain event. Totally unnecessary but fun.

But I feel kind of conflicted about a $20 shuttle ride to blue jay. Maybe it will bring another element and level of traffic to that zone? Maybe a sense of entitlement to the descent given it was paid for? Oh whatever. I'll probably try it once this year.

herzalot, MrGreedom, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Come do one of my rides.....we get to San Juan all the time, but we don't climb it or shuttle it. :sneaky: ;)

herzalot, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 5 others like this.
  17. You are an insane person, you really can't like yourself very much to enjoy that much suffering. That's a compliment

herzalot, MrGreedom, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Xavier and crew at Crazy Bear are good people and riders themselves. Always a good value and experience with them.

Paying $20 to miss a fantastic 9-mi climb and barely save any time? Bad value all around!

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've ridden San Juan several times now. I have never climbed it or shuttled it. And I plan to keep that record for as long as possible... Although I may climb it, without descending it in the near future. :p

20. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    One of my favorite climbs actually so dont see the appeal myself, but would it not make more sense to offer a shuttle from a (mainly)HAB only downhill trail, like the Chiquito trail there? You can even do repeats then :)

21. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I have done the big loop and not climbed San Juan but you are missing out on a great climb. Maybe reverse it and climb San Juan and descend holy jim.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Makes a good approach to Los Pinos, from what I've heard..

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    San Juan is a great climb! One of the better ones in the OC. The worst part about it is the shuttle riders... many times they rip down the trail without wondering if there is going to be a climber around the corner. I have had a fair number of close calls.

I am going to sound extremely elitest but here it goes - if you can't climb it you should be allowed to ride it :) Reminds me of last week's climb up Maple Springs. I had the trail to myself and suddenly found myself being overtaken by a tour group of 10 dirt bikers who were doing a mid-week tour. They passed me, and stopped to take a break in the shade... so I passed them. Then they passed me again... and stopped again. I went to pass them a second time... and they asked if I would wait because they had a photographer up the trail taking photos. So I waited. Then I passed them when they paused to check out the photos. I actually passed them four separate times on my way up to Four Corners. At one of the last stops, one of the guys stopped to chat with me and he was panting from the exertion so much I thought he might keel over... from riding a dirt bike up Maple Springs. I was wondering whether or not they were in good enough shape to even dirt bike on Main Divide.

Another time I was chillin' at Cocktail Rock after climbing lower San Juan and a group of shuttle riders approached. They were all upset because they hadn't seen enough downhill yet. "Where's all the great downhill?" they complained. I didn't want to be on the trail with them if they were going to be bitching about climbing on the Lollipop. :)

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Aye :cool:

Do San Juan-Bluejay CG out-back once or twice, and the LP loop will feel manageable. Still, I'd wager LP gets shuttled as much as ridden in a loop. I reckon some shuttle it all the way up to the start of LPR – that sounds grueling! :D:cautious:

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  25. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    My thoughts exactly. Not that I mind climbing but it'd be nice to avoid the dangerous pedal up Ortega from candy store to blue jay. Alas I doubt they'll offer the shuttle on wednesdays so it's not something I can take advantage of anyway.
    When I do sj, I just climb it its a grat climb. Chiquito, usually climb but will shuttl it somtims whn i can find a wdnsday riding partnr- its a shortr shutll and kind of a pita climb.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

"Elitest Remark Upcoming".........You become more aware when you climbers when you descend, after you have already been in their position.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  27. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    That would be a great shuttle... up San Juan to Blue Jay.. across main divide and come down Trabuco... except ... no San Juan downhill...

One of these days, I would like to do a Santa Ana Traverse... Blackstar to Main divide, pass Motorway to 4 Corners to Santiago Peak, to Blue Jay down San Juan... But I would need a moto....

BonsaiNut, Luis, mike and 5 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been thinking of something along those lines for a winter ride...

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. Dang that sucks about the dirt bikes. And for sure the concern about SJ shuttles is valid. I'm totally conflicted about it. I want to use it occasionally, but then I also don't want to deal with a group of 8 decenders who paid to shred.

Faust29 and kioti like this.
  30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^This^^^
    There is no way I would drive the 2 hours down to San Juan to shuttle it. That should be a felony in most states! San Juan is a joy to climb and I too have to add the Viejo Tie. That's a moral imperative!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?