Rider down in El Moro 4/17/16

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by knucklebuster, Apr 17, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    On the fire road after the bottom of Rattlesnake, we were told a rider broke his arm in a crash and EMT were on their way. A number of hikers were looking after him, a lady hiker nurse had him immobilized on his back with padding on his neck. Hope it was nothing worse than the arm. Helicopter circled but with the wind and nearby powerlines couldn't get too close. Three EMT vehicles came up as we went down towards Mach/east cutacross. As we passed the guy I said hang in there bud, and he gave a thumbs up in return, good sign.
    IMAG1688.jpg

Seems so many crashes come in routine places, letting the guard down because the hard stuff (rattlesnake in this case) is behind, and then something goes wrong. I have a bad tendency to let it roll on fire roads and then get sketchy. Sometimes the easier stuff is the most dangerous.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for the young man.

Kreature, kioti, Fueledbyex8 and 11 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Bummer... Hope it is just the arm and nothing more.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mt. biking is dangerous. Be careful out there. :confused: Here's an enthusiastic (and casted) thumbs up for some fast healing for our downed brother. :(:thumbsup:

4. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Healing vibes to our fellow mtbker !!

Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU, knucks.

Another reminder that it can happen – usually when not expected. Rubber down, y'all.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for posting this Dave-O!
    Bummer that an injury to a Brother has to remind us to be safe out there.

Cathy always says to "Ride Safe" when I leave on a ride. I always think about that as I leave getting ready to push it up to the thrill factor.

"Ride Skilled" is more apt... Not riding over your head, gradually gaining the talent to handle the more challenging.

It's a shame the simplest of conditions can get us the most. I guess its when we let our guard down.

I hope it was a simple injury and the feller is Back On Bike in no time!

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Well said! Healing vibes.

Mikie likes this.
  8. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Good point @knucklebuster . I usually take it the easiest on fire road descents. For some reason, they sketch me out more than ST because of the speed you can build up and sometimes loose conditions. Hope this guy heals up and glad it wasn't worse!

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good thoughts, palz.

I catch myself sometimes when I'm tired, thinking I can ride like I'm fresh. Yea, I can ride that, but in a beat down state it will be harder...

So true, Cisco. I do the same.

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I've crashed and sprained my hand In that exact spot. Heal up soon, whoever u are.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My worry on that section pictured above is going about 35-40 mph and missing the turns, flying right off the edge. By the looks of the skidmarks and shrubbery along that section, seems some have done so. For better or for worse, the washboard bumps along that fireroad serve as rumble strip reminders to perhaps slow it down a bit. Again - healing mojo to the rider.

Mikie likes this.
  12. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I almost went over the edge at that spot a couple weeks ago doing that exact thing. Just barely saved it. Scared the Sh!t out of me.

herzalot and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?