Ride Review: Niner WFO 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zerogravity, Nov 28, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. zerogravity

zerogravity Newbie

Name:
    Charlie
    [youtube]Vsmzj63GzMg[/youtube]

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsmzj63GzMg&list=UU4Gj4QebOSH4LWNFi3EC5Gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsmzj63 ... WNFi3EC5Gg</a>

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Went to a Niner demo a few weeks ago and test rode one. Two wheeled monster truck!

fb377f626219db66d767e3b97c031882.jpg

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Charlie - I seriously hope those guns are registered! Thanks for the review.

My 6'2", 235 lb friend rides one and just logged about 48 miles and just under 10,000' of climbing in one day, while riding LCWP's and A-W's more notorious trails. I guess the bike works.

Here he is on the tougher section of the Fully Loop. Note the new Hurley riding shorts!

Some Guy on a Trail.jpg

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Herzy...
    Is that REALLY on the Fully Loop??? ;)

Whether it is or it isn't that's a really nice pic...

5. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I'm to short for a Niner, but I have always loved their look, and they have got to be good!

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Shhhh, that's a little-known section of the Loop :silent:

OK, no it's not. That's about an 8' near-vertical roll down somewhere in the Laguna Coast - on a PERFECTLY LEGAL trail, I am certain. :angel:

7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    After demoing this bike twice, I had to have one. Picked one up a couple months ago at BP. Absolutely loving it. The bike does it all from Snow Summit to the Loop. Climbs and descends like crazy. My other bikes just collect dust now.

Some modifications I've made:
    replaced 90mm stem with a 50mm blue ano Race Face Atlas
    replaced 180mm front rotor with a 203mm ( gotta stop this rig ya know)
    added a KS dropper with blue ano collar, lever and button
    replaced 9r grips with Red Monkey
    replaced Sram chainring/spider with Wolftooth direct mount
    changed seat to a titanium railed Volt

29lbs as pictured.

Oh, and it glows in the dark!

000_0338.JPG

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the review, zg.

That's a lot of bike, surprisingly lightweight. That thing would terrorize rock gardens. It begs for some wide CF hoops, though.

I would be into a bike like that if I were bigger. I think, being under 6' tall, I'm better off with smaller wheels because I want 150 mm of travel. For most riding in socal, anyway.

9. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I read about someone who wasn't happy with their WFO purchase (not sure if height was the reason), but he threw on some 27.5 wheels and claimed it fixed the issues.

10. zerogravity

zerogravity Newbie

Name:
    Charlie
    I think it really depends where you come from as far as type of bikes. I am already a 29er rider so the transition was quite pleasant and found this to be WAY more numble than my 120mm travel 29er. If you are coming from a 26er background, then the 27.7 version will most likely suit you better. I didn't even know they made a 27.5 version...

11. ernesto

ernesto Guest

Nice bike, super geometry. In fact I was going to get one myself but I had a 4 inch travel 29er already and wanted to have another 29er that was in another world rather than 5 and 6 inches of travel, so I built this Lenz PBJ in Feb. 2012. It has 7" up front and 7 rear. Its kinda heavy though, but 4-5 lbs lighter than an average 26" DH bike.
    Enjoy the Niner they are great bikes!

p4pb7683700[1].jpg

12. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    They don't sell a 27.5 version, but that didn't stop the dude from putting a 27.5" wheelset on it.

13. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I've got to disagree with you on this comment. Yes, in the past your comment was probably correct. I'm 5'9" and was a diehard 26" & every time I tried an old school 29er, I just hated it. I'm currently on a 2014 Niner Rip9RDO & this bike I'm faster everywhere! Climbs, flats single track & down hills. The modern 29er geometry makes a huge difference, so in my opinion shorter riders can have a great time on these wagon wheeled bikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    I think there are plenty of women 29er riders who would also disagree.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I changed my post so that it will be impossible for you guys to debate wheel size with me.

Now I'm gonna drink another beer. Cheers!

16. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    Why are you taking all the fun out of Internet debating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?