Random Product Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigTex, Jan 11, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    It's a rainy Sunday, so why not post some thoughts on some stuff I've tried? Would love to see others do the same for things they love (or hate).

First one: Scorpion Bike Stand.

I love this thing. I think it's a tad pricey for what it is, but for a quick repair job, or just holding the bike while you lube the chain, add air to the tires and get it ready for a ride, it's wonderful. Beats getting out the repair stand and setting it up for something quick. It's pretty basic, just a stand with a rotating spindle that inserts into the drive-side crank hole/bottom bracket. They make a version that comes apart and goes flat for storage/transport, and a road bike version as well. This one works for my road bike, but the spindle is a pretty snug fit.

I got this one it the final OTH last year and they were on special. They're a local company, so look for them at events where they usually have the things on discount. Honestly, though, I don't think I would feel bad about paying full price for it. Really happy with this purchase.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://scorpionbikestands.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://scorpionbikestands.com/</a>

Scorpion.JPG

2. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    SRAM Garmin adapter

I wanted one of these things for a while, and so far, at least to my knowledge, SRAM is the only company that makes one.

It's an adapter that allows the old-style Garmin GPS computers with the slide-on mount to mount onto the new-style quarter-turn twist mounts. Probably more useful for road bikes where you want the computer out front, but should work with any of the out-front style mounts, including those that also have a mount for a camera or light, whether you place it out front or over the stem. There's really not much to say about it other than it works - never had a problem with it coming loose. I think it was in the neighborhood of $5 - a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.

SRAM.JPG

3. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Ergon SM3 Pro

I have both the road and MTB version of this saddle, and love them both. Shortly after getting the road version, I did a century ride and didn't once think about my butt, which I think is about the best thing you can say about a saddle.

The Ergon is nice and flat, and I have no trouble getting my butt behind it on descents. I like the long nose to add a bit of control when I'm off the saddle. But the best thing about the Ergon, to me, is the three widths. My sit bones are wide, and previously Specialized was one of the few options in saddles at 155mm. Nothing wrong with Specialized saddles, but I think I prefer this one. The Pro is the middle of the range, with TiNox rails and carbon frame - they also make less expensive version and a weight wienie version, along with a monolink. They also have a new all-mountain saddle...I'm not sure what the difference is, and for some reason that one only comes in small and medium.

At any rate, if you're in the market for a saddle, check Ergon out. I'm pretty happy with it.

Ergon.JPG

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... If we're on the subject of saddles... I needed to find a saddle that was better anatomically, especially on longer rides of 4 or more hours. My PA is an avid roadie who spends some time on the dirt, as well. He recommended a few brands to look at, and I went with this one about a year ago.

The "numbness" that we bikers sometimes experience is non-existent. The saddle forces me to sit on the sit bones, and there is no pressure on the man parts, due to the short nose, and split rail design. It's the strangest looking thing, but I won't be changing it out anytime soon.

peak.jpg

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    These are awesome reviews!

Question for you guys. Do like the "Product Review" software over under the Product Reviews tab, or is it too much of a pain. The reason I ask, is one of the things I found frustrating on other sites was searching through forums to find out what the members liked or disliked. That's why put the Product Review setion together.

I'm guessing since there is no connection to the Forum where we spend 99% of our time,it's out of site/out of mind and your reviews would never really get the attention.

Thoughts.....?
    :cool:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Re: SRAM Garmin adapter

I bought the SRAM adapter and use it on my Barfly.

I also have the SRAM mount, but I flip it around so it sits over the stem....less likely to get ripped off on trail.

7. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Man, if you didn't post that picture of the Ergon saddle, I would've been proud to have ID'd your HT frame by the scorpion stand shot alone.

I don't like the outfront mounts, since, uh... I crashed doing a rock roll that didn't have quite a nice transition at the bottom and lawn darted, with the bike falling in a way that busted the tabs off my Garmin Edge which was connected to the outfront mount.

Mikie, I find the formatting of the product reviews to be too rigid. The freedom to format however you like, having all the familiar editing tools handy, and the discussion part of the review are valuable. Maybe if you convert the "thread rating" star thingee to product rating, and create a forum just for product reviews and discussion, and change the format from flat to threaded... hmm, just ideas. Not sure if it'll actually work. Just look at mtbr as an example. Their review portion is mostly ignored, in favor of product discussion on the forums. Not to mention there's that weird bug that resets your post count after posting a review, due to whatever script you used to link the forum account with the review account.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for the honesty Dan! I never caught the Post reset, but that does explain a lot. I'm not a software guru and would not know how to do what you suggest. Searched a long time for that product review software as there is just nothing else out there.

I'm cool if we don't use it. I like it personally. But it's more important what the imtb family likes than what I like... Thanks again! :D

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Man, I feel stupid now... I never saw anyone mention the Product Review section, so I never ventured in there until just now. I think that means I'd have to vote for including product reviews in one of the more frequented areas.

10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Okay, I can do a short term review of my new 2015 Troy Carbon. So far the bike has been a dream. I have been mostly on some sort of Single pivot bikes, lastly a Foes XCT 5. Devinci calls it the ultimate trail bike, and it seems like it so far. It has an adjustable geometry but flipping the link on the swing arm but have not done so. The internal cable routing is makes the bike look clean and it does not make a sound. The Split Pivot design is very active and pedals great.

image.jpg

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I got a pair of Box X carbon riser bars. Box is known for their BMX stuff, but is starting to make MTB stuff. These bars are 760mm wide with 15mm of rise. They are 35mm bore and are exceptionally stiff. They are not completely round, but have a flat profile on top and have a funky semi oval rise in the bar. Great bars so far and will get their stem when they come in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Doooood!
    No worries Mate! :D
    The goal was to gather all the product reviews in one place categoized so they can easily be searched and found. I have gone to mtbr's product reviews many times to see what others thought and it's not connected to their forum so I thought it would work here. If it does not, then it does not... :cool:

13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    This is a great cheese slicer. You guys should try it.

bac5a2e63bc046cd517b8b6057387843.jpg

herzalot likes this.
  14. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

Yeah I've taken that same one on several rides, works great! The new split pivot design works better!lol

15. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Looks heavy. Do they make a carbon version?

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Yeah... Like Faust29 said, I usually just head straight to the forums and hadn't noticed the product reviews. But I'm happy to use them. Is there a way to directly feed new product reviews into a forum post?

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hmmmmmmm...... :|I don't know. That would be awesome though. I bet I could get a script written to dump a review into the Forum as a new post... :idea:

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm thinking like you are about this.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've had this grinder since 1992 and I use it daily. No suspension. Single speed.

KrupsGrinder.jpg

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Pfffffftttt........black is so last week. Needs to be bubble gum blue with magenta graphics.

herzalot likes this.
  21. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Mmm, looks good for making some nice sandwiches with cheese that I actually like (ex. Pepper Jack), but after buying sliced cheese (from cheese block) to put on burgers, I noticed that I like the process cheese singles better, since it seems to melt better and have a creamier texture. How's this work with grilled cheese? Makes me wonder what's so bad about the singles, specifically, other than people dislike how unknown-to-them by-products are processed together to make a new franken-product that frightens them. Quick research: moisture can be up to 40% of the weight, containing oil, salt, and emulsifiers...

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Melting is cool. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I believe that model is a blade grinder, and not the higher end burr grinder. It's useless for espresso!

Sort of the fully rigid single speed of coffee grinders...

herzalot likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You would think so, but man this thing grinds it into a super fine powder. I was joking when I posted, but I speak the truth!

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    [youtube]w5VEojXFtyI[/youtube]

Almond Grove

One of many gems from the awaited new release by Cracker, the double disc Berkeley to Bakersfield. A great enhancement to any ride — before, during or after. De rigeuer for California lovers.

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wingnut Packs. Designed for cyclists; made in USA by a guy named Scott in New York.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wingnutgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wingnutgear.com</a>

Biking is more fun without a pack on. With that inescapable fact, the best you can do if you must wear one is have it be a comfortable one that works with the activity.

I have numerous small packs for riding, from classic c-baks to 33L Osprey Talon, used for everything from short to multi-day rides. Recently I loaded up my trusty 22L Talon with a 20-plus-lb load for riding all day and went at the trail with vengeance. The following days began to show that I injured something in my trapezeus/neck area. I was flat screwed up for a couple of weeks and was close to heading into the clinic. Like the worst stiff neck I'd ever had.

Something had to give, so I decided to try a Wingnut. I got the largest one, the 26L Adventure Pack, with the idea that it would work great as a bikepacking pack and generous trail pack. I have two rides with it and feel confident to say the concept here is an absolute winner.

Getting that weight down your back is the right place for it while you're running ST. Your CoG is lower with a Wingnut compared to a traditional pack. If a light load it's really optional, but for longer or hotter rides the design is a MTB windfall. Yes, it will put more weight on your seat while it reduces weight on your upper back and arms.

Construction and materials are impressive. Generous mesh pockets, generous "wing" pockets (positioned appropriately rearward) that you can actually unzip with one hand and access something larger than a gel packet. No compression beyond an outer bungee which secures the main mesh pocket. Separate zippered bladder channel with hose ports (under-arm routing) and interior key clip. Appropriately wide shoulder straps and waist belt.

Really tough to pinpoint a gripe so far. A phone pocket a la Talon would have been nice, but easy to add. It's easy to set the pack down on your bite valve, I learned a few times. The low back could have more ventilation with foam/mesh-type panels. Beyond that I'm very happy with the unit, even at the $145 price point. I plan to add another (smaller) Wingnut to my pack stable in the future.

vvv Rossage knows!

27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Been riding with a Wingnut for years. Best mtb pack I've ever used, even if it doesn't meet up to herzalot's hirsute
    Fashion standards. ....

herzalot likes this.
  28. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    So it's like an oversized fanny pack with shoulder straps. Can you pull stuff out of it by undoing a clip to loosen it and rotating it to the front, or do you have to take off at least one shoulder strap?

I had a Camelbak Charge LR that used a similar low CoG concept, but with a more traditional tall and close to the back storage arrangement. Its bladder blew a seam when I fell on it and I just started using another pack. My biggest gripe is how inconvenient it is to basically pull off the whole pack to get access to stuff in it.

29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The Wingnut has....wings! Side-pocket "wings that semi-wrap-around and allow easy access to whatever you can fit in there. I put a camera(phone), food, multi-tool, extra gloves or sweatband. They also pull away from the main body in the back to allow for carrying larger objects out back.

To access the main storage compartment you would have to remove the pack.

And besides, it's pret a porter!!!! Right, Herz? :eek:

30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Seriously, this grinder lasts. I have the same one but white. Been using it around 10 years now.
    Funny you mentioned it because every once in a while I wonder when it'll give up the ghost, but it just keeps grinding along!
    Before that they would bur out every 6 months. And Ya, I drink a lot of coffee.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?