MTB Brother down at SS on 8/15

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by pachaven, Aug 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Yesterday at Snow Summit with my friend Alex, we came up to the first ladder drop on West Ridge to a guy who was stopping riders because his friend Alen (don't know his last name) had crashed bad and was unconscious. We didn't want to move him because of possible neck injuries and we could feel a faint pulse. Someone called 911 and I asked a rider to jam down the hill and make a report for medical professionals to get up here. The 911 lady walked us through the CPR steps and by then a couple of guys took over because they had some first aide training. Long story short. Once the paramedics had loaded him onto the back board and truck and were gone, Alex and I said a prayer and took it easy on the next two runs. When we were done we stopped by the first aide station and were told that the doctors had worked on him for some time in the ER but Alen didn't make it. RIP Brother!!
    The reason I post this is for a call to action. As Alex and I were having a beer for Alen, we wished we could have done more for him. So we made a promise to each other to sign up for first aide training including CPR and AED training. Please consider doing the same because you don't want that feeling of regret or helplessness.

abuck55, BBlov0515, Squirrel and 13 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Good call on getting some training. I required all 35 employees of my old construction company to be CPR certified. I paid for it!
    I need to get a recert...
    Thanks for the reminder...

And WOW! Simply WOW! on the reality check. Rest in peace Alen.....:(

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh wow very sad, RIP Alen. While I do carry some basic first aid supplies in my Camelbak, reading this thread made me realize that I would be basically useless if a true emergency arose. Time for me to get some training cause I owe it to the awesome people I ride with.

Mikie likes this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That sucks horribly. Three mtb deaths in three weeks. Yeny Vergara at El Moro, Will Olson in the EWS competition, and now this. This is a hard sport to balance risk/reward - but usually, it's just a trip to the hospital for some broken bones or dislocations. This is a disturbing trend that I hope and pray is an anomaly.

My condolences to Allen's family. May they come to peace with their loss. Thank you for helping, Pachaven.

Mikie likes this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have nothing but peaceful thoughts and prayers for his family...

I can't imagine what they are going through. Be careful out there...

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  6. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Good job doing all you could for Alen. Sucks to hear he didn't make it:(. R.I.P. MTB brother!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  7. lisakanani

lisakanani Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    LISA-ANNE MITSUKA CH
    Pachaven: Thank you for writing this. The rider you were talking about was my husband, Allen Chan. He was a husband, father, son, brother, friend and worked as a RN. It is comforting knowing more of what happened since I was not there. He didn't suffer, everyone there did everything they possibly could, his two good friends were with him and he died doing what he loved. That gives us, the family, a lot of comfort.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hi Lisa,
    I'm a bit overwhelmed with you joining and saying such kind words...
    Cathy and I have prayed together about your situation and we want to extend our most sincere condolences and offer anything we have to help in the future. I know my passion for cycling, and I have had my share of tough bike "get offs". My family has always been there for me. I want you to know that here on imtbtrails, "We are family", and if there is anything we can do, please just let us know...

Sincerely,
    Mikie
    imtbtrails

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lisa - thank you for posting. What Mikie says is true - we will rally around any fallen brother (or sister) and their family. Bumps, bruises and injuries are a part of our sport and an acceptable part of our passion - but not this. A death while riding is shocking to the entire MtB community, and devastatingly difficult for the family and friends. We offer our deepest condolences, our positive thoughts and prayers, and can rally to provide more tangible support when needed.

Chris

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Lisa,
    Thank you for taking the time to join and share with us about Allen. He, and all those that he touched, will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Lisa, Thank you for your kind words and my prayers are with you and your family. If I can do anything for you, will you please ask? Mark

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Actually, you can add a 4th:

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-stor...biker-dies-during-grueling-leadville-100-race

An experienced cyclist is dead after participating in the grueling Leadville 100 mountain bike race in Colorado.

Fifty-five-year-old Scott Ellis died Saturday near the end of the 100-mile, high-altitude course.

His Peloton-Specialized team said he apparently suffered a heart attack.

Lake County coroner Shannon Dent said natural causes seem to be to blame but wouldn't elaborate, referring questions to the race's organizers, Life Time Fitness. A spokeswoman, Amy Henderson, said the company would not share details of Ellis' death out of respect for him and his family.

The race is nicknamed the "Race Across the Sky" and draws about 1,500 riders a year. Past participants have included Lance Armstrong and Levi Leipheimer.

Ellis was competing in his 19th Leadville 100. His death is the first in the race's 32-year history.

13. Lisa,

Let me add my most sincere condolences.

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Lisa there's not much I can say that the other guys here haven't already said. The fact that you joined this site and posted such kind words with such composure tells me everything I need to know about yourself and your husband. Please if there is anything we can do as MTB brothers & sisters let us know as I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the group of people on this site.

15. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Our prayers and thoughts are with you Lisa & with your family and friends. .

Faust29, BBJohn and Mikie like this.
  16. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Life certainly is very precious, and it can be taken away so swiftly. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Lisa.

Faust29, BBJohn, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  17. Pochem

Pochem Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Peter
    Current Bike:
    Turner 5 spot DW
    Hi All, I just joined this forum because of this post. I am a good friend of Allen Chan and we have been riding trails together for over 12 years. Your thoughts and prayers and responses have been uplifting. I was not with Allen on that tragic day but knowing that fellow brethren were there to help Allen is comforting. Allen was an RN and would have done the same to any person he came upon on the trail that need help both medically or mechanically. He was an experienced rider and this was just a freak accident that is still under investigation. Two other close friends of Allen were there on that tragic day and they cannot believe that it actually happened - we had just returned the week prior from a 5 day trip to Bend Oregon where we rode some awesome trails. How often do your wives let you leave for 5 days to take a road trip with your buddies to do what you love - our wives let us do it every year. This has been a very difficult time in my life however in talking with Lisa she is very appreciative of all the responses from his friends and even strangers. She is handling it much better than I am - she is so strong I can't imagine what she is feeling these last few days. I could go on for hours talking about Allen and all the fun we had together on and off the trails but I just get an empty feeling thinking about it.

If I know Allen he got his hands on the new Turner RFX and is riding Whisler in heaven. Allen you will be missed my brother. Rest in Peace.

To Mark and Alex, thank you for stopping and helping Allen after his fall. I would love to meet up with you guys and give you a little more information about Allen the father, husband, friend and mtb rider.
    sml-Moab 2012 - 47.jpg

sml-Bend SC 2015 - 342.jpg

18. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    To Lisa and Pochem, Im very sorry for your loss. I was there and came up on the incredible rescue team that was working so hard to help Allen. My buddies and I said a prayer for him and your family, i'm so sad to hear this news.

Pochem, is there a fund setup to donate to the family. I would be grateful if i could help in some way.

Richard Trujillo

19. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Very sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

20. Pochem

Pochem Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Peter
    Current Bike:
    Turner 5 spot DW
    Hi Richard, Thank you for your thoughts and suggestion regarding the donation to the family. I am checking into that and trying to find the best site - also I am checking with Lisa to see what her needs are and if she wants a fund setup for his two girls.

Again - I appreciate all the support that the mtb community is showing. This truly shows character.

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Pochem.
    Thanks so much for joining the site to share this. It sounds like a great group of guys that you ride with. This is definitely a good home here at imtbtrails for guys like you. Please do not hesitate to fill us in on the donation fund site and keep us posted on how Lisa is doing from time to time. We want to be there for her and for you guys as well for that matter. Thanks again Pochem!

Sincerely,
    Mikie
    imtbtrails

22. tavo80816

tavo80816 Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Gus Fernandez
    Hey people,

I heard about this forum from a co-worker and decided to join just to say a few words. I worked with Allen for 3 years at City of Hope helping patients with cancer and all I can say is that he will truly be missed. I was at work when we heard the news and it was devastating for everyone there. He was an awesome person to work with. He was the only person at work that would get my jokes and we always looked out for each other at work. My condolences to his family, especially his wife and twin girls. It hurts me to think that his little girls will grow up and never meet their father. I have 2 boys ages 2 and 3, and when these moments happen you tend to hug your love ones a little tighter, a little longer because you never know when your time will come.

Rest in peace Allen.

Gus Fernandez, RN

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thank you Gus for adding your personal knowledge of Allen and his family. It makes this loss that much more human, and unfortunately, that much more tragic. I will take your advice and hug my daughter a little tighter. It is one of the oddities of life that to enjoy it to its fullest, we need to take some risks, and those risks might take it all away.

Again, thank you Gus for taking the time to join and to share your knowledge and thoughts.

Cornholio, BBlov0515, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  24. BBlov0515

BBlov0515 Guest

Hi all,
    I like Gus, joined this site to share about Allen!
    First, I want to say Thank-you to all of you that stopped and offered first-aid and support to our Friend and Co-worker Allen! He was a wonderful guy, and most certainly would have done the same for any fellow biker, or anyone that needed assistance!
    Also, thank-you for posting about the rescue efforts that took place. It is comforting to us to know that he was well cared for after his accident!
    As Gus said, Allen worked at City of Hope, as an RN. Taking care of people with cancer. He was an exceptional RN, providing very compassionate and expert care to his patients! He was also a terrific friend and co-worker!! He always had a smile, and always willing to lend a hand to anyone that needed help!
    He was also a very dedicated Father, Husband, and Son!! He would often speak of his love and dedication to his wife and twin daughters, along with the rest of his family!
    We at City of Hope are all shocked and extremely saddened to hear of his passing. He was a tremendous asset to City of Hope, his co-workers, and his patients!
    Our thought and prayers go out to his wife, daughters, and the rest of his family!
    Please post any information you have on any go-fund pages or any forum to provide assistance to his family!
    Working at City of Hope, we all realize how unpredictable and uncertain life can be, but when something happens to someone so close, it really makes you think!
    Life is short and there are no guarantees for tomorrow. So go out and have a great ride in honor of Allen, and live life to the fullest!!
    Namaste!!
    Barbara

BeckTrex, Cornholio, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  25. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    My condolences to all that new him.

I rode Snow Summit yesterday - it was quite surreal. If it's any consolation Lisa, it would have been the way I would have wanted to go. I'm relieved he didn't suffer.

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @Pochem @tavo80816 @BBlov0515

Thank you for letting us know even more about Allen... He sounds like the kind of guy that we would all like to ride with. May he rest in peace, and may those he left behind eventually find peace of their own...

Cornholio, ridinrox, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  27. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    Pochem,
    Thanks for joining and sharing with us the information about Allen. Alex and I both live and ride in OC. we are leaving for Mammoth on Thursday and return on Sunday but would love to meet up and ride and drink a beer. PM me when you have some time and we will make it happen.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Cornholio, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think we need a "Ride for Allen" or "Ride for Lisa and twins" fundraiser event. I can work on something after September 8. If someone else wants to get a head start, go for it.

Cornholio, jaime, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  29. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    There was a time when I was an avid runner and learning of a runner dying while out on a run, I would put on my running shoes regardless what time it was and would finish their run.

Let's finish Allen's run at Snow Summit.

jaime, pachaven, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  30. BBlov0515

BBlov0515 Guest

Herzalot,
    I think a fundraiser ride, and/or a finish Allen's ride is a great idea!
    I live up in Big Bear, and I would be willing to help out!
    I will check with Allen's co-workers, and see how they can help!
    In fact, just the day before Allen's accident a couple of my co-workers and I, had taken the scenic chairlift up Snow Summit, and were admiring all the bikers heading down the mountain.
    A lot of Allen's co-workers are avid hikers, so maybe we could do a ride/hike type of fundraiser!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?