Hiawatha Mountain Bike Trail (fun!), Montana/Idaho Border

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ULEWZ, Feb 11, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    My wife has relatives in Northern Idaho (Coeur d'Alene area) and they are always looking for ways to get us to come up and visit. Great area in the summer (almost moved there), but the long winters are not much of a treat. On one of those visits, my sister in law suggested a bike ride on the Hiawatha trail. It is 14.7 miles long and has a shuttle service at the bottom if you need it (ya, we used it). There are 10 tunnels, the longest being 1.66 miles long (8771 feet). Not so much a tough trail as a scenic trail (bring a bright light or two and a light jacket as it is very dark and cold in the tunnels). Just thought I would share this adventure and suggest it to anybody in the area. Anybody else done this trail?
    https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/montana/hiawatha-rail-trail

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Looks gorgeous, Lew. Fantastic location... Pretty wild country up there, we spent a day near CDL at a relative's cabin, no bikes : (

3. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    We rented. Would have loved the tracers up there. Only got a hard tail, but still fun.

herzalot and mike like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for sharing... Not even @mtnbikej ‘s rides start and end in two different states! :p

The tunnels sound cool...

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Is that a challenge?

MrGreedom, herzalot, LLPoolJ and 3 others like this.
  6. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    While there is absolutely nothing tough about the ride, it sure leaves a special memory. I was fortunate enough to share the ride with my son. If anyone goes, definitely bring your GOOD lights. Most riders using the rental bikes forget to turn off the lights between tunnels and end up riding back in the dark - like, I can't see my hand in front of my face dark - or shuttling back.

There are a lot of MTB trails on the north side of the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene and they add a lot of climbing to get there. The Trail of the Coeur d'Alene itself is a 70-ish mile 200' paved trail through some of the nicest views around. Again, a great ride to do once especially if you camp out on one end and then pedal back the next.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?