beginner mtb jumps

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Adrian, Mar 27, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Got kinda big in size. Bought a bike and fell in love. Now I'm more comfortable being on the bike and want to start sending it. Any help on tenique/ where to start with beginner jumps out here in riverside/ orange county. Something like small gaps, doubles, table tops ect. Just not as crazy. Any good tails to find these on

bvader, kioti, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The FLoop is always open...

Welcome to our little corner of insanity. Ride lots, write lots about riding lots, check out Trailhead and I Rode My Bike Today threads. But above all, have fun!!

Grego, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Can you jump off of curbs and small ledges? Can you "pop" of of things like the little curb ramps on driveways? Can you bunny hop? I wouldn't suggest people go out to learn jumping on actual jumps right away if they can't drop off of small ledges first or jump off of curbs (or similar sized things). If you didn't grow up jumping bikes around then it will be tougher and will take some time to get used to. It's tough to point you in the right direction without knowing your current skills and equipment.

There's a ton of little features all around on trails to pop off of to get the feeling of being in the air but when you get to the point of real jumps with takeoffs it's a whole different thing. Even larger speed bumps can be helpful for a beginner, I say forget about finding a set of jumps and start with catching air on the natural trail features first and playing around in the street some.

Edit: Oh, and welcome!

Grego, bvader, H2oChick and 11 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Everything he said is correct. You only get better by doing it....but starting small and working your way up is the way to do it.

5. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Thanks guys but I meant like small gaps, doubles, table tops ect. Just not as crazy

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Those don't happen in county parks....so most of those kinda things are gonna fall under Fight Club rules.

7. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Don't talk about these jumps don't bring no one to these jumps kinda thing?

kioti, herzalot, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    you want jumps? big, small, in the middle? Go to Sheep Hills in Costa Mesa. Google it!! It's along the Santa Ana river bed, about a mile inland from the beach on the south side of the river. They mostly have mega size jumps that you see in X-games. BUT, there are small jumps to learn on. Even some small little pump tracks. If you go, plan on doing some house keeping. help out packing dirt, or picking up the trash if there is any. The more the locals see you putting in work to maintain the place, the more they will be willing to give you pointers. Bring your helmet!

Grego, HBkites, kioti and 7 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, @Adrian, two things Cornholio wrote:

1) Getting a handle on skills like bunny-hops and manuals (if you don't already) will help immensely
    2) Welcome to the IMTBT! (from another member of the OC contingent)

Be careful of wrists and shoulders – no armor is gonna keep you from breaking one of those. At least nothing you'd wear while riding. Stick it, bro!!!

Adrian said:
    Don't talk about these jumps don't bring no one to these jumps kinda thing?

Bring anyone you want who can keep it cool. Broadcasting on the 'net? You got it – not cool. Thanks for your discretion! :thumbsup:

kioti, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yo @Adrian !
    (Sorry... had to)
    Hey bud! Welcome to imtbtrails from Frazier Park.

What @Cornholio said above. Also, as silly as it may sound, hitting up How to's on YouTube, and going up to Big Bear and hitting the lifts with guys and talking to them about how they got started comes to mind. But man PLEASE go easy and gradually build up to clearing that fashizzle.
    Speaking as a guy that has collapsed two lungs from jumping , ease into it and learn the body English to stay out of trouble!

Welcome Brothah!

Mikie

kioti, herzalot, Torrent77 and 3 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Things like these are usually not built legally...thus those that build them would like to keep them, so they tend not to broadcast to everyone where they are. Not saying it is right or wrong, just the reality of underground things.

Like @Mikie said...hit Big Bear up in a couple months....practice all the jumping you want on the DH runs up there.

kioti, herzalot, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  12. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I don't jump. I am old. I can't help. I don't like breaking things. Good luck. Welcome.

kioti, Mikie, Poofighter and 4 others like this.
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Fairview park in Costa Mesa has a grip of small dirt jumps. The park sucks for mountain biking overall, but the jumps are small and decent to learn on. There are gaps, etc ... but nothing extreme. I started there myself because it is close to me. All legal, no nonsense.

Grego, bvader, Oaken and 3 others like this.
  14. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    You could check out Hulda Crooks in Loma Linda. They have quite a few smaller jumps mixed into some of the single track that runs next to Scott Canyon. I'd recommend starting with smaller step downs/ups as these have a lower penalty for failure, then I'd work up to tabletops and save the doubles for later.

Grego, kioti and jaime like this.
  15. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Welcome from Coro... Wait you are in my hood ! Hey guys this is Adrian, I invited him to @Mikie best mtb forum a couple weeks ago. Haven't ride with him but soon we will ! I was finishing a ride on my backyard and caught up to him and showed him 2 little tricks and exchanged numbers and now he is a member, he did a blackstar-skyline ride already and looks like he is looking for jumps now...well well well...snow summit season is around the corner !!

Grego, kioti, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  16. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    yes those jumps at hulda look fun, gotta try them soon !!

kioti, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  17. since I turned 40 the idea of flying between 2 mounds of dirt seems ridiculous. I do air all the trail hits I see though. Fun.

Flash back to Oakley Jumps (R.I.P) probably the only jump in the area small enough I would try. A perfect non lippy dirt jump.That place was nutz.

IMG_6842.JPG

Grego, kioti, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  18. Oh that's right. I used to do those after work many years ago. Totally "less lethal" jumps

19. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    And necks.

mike likes this.
  20. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    "lippy"

s
    n
    o
    w

s
    u
    m
    m
    i
    t

A little under two months until it opens for us.

Grego, kioti, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh god - here we go. I was shamed off of STR because I dared to critique the jump builders at Snow Summit, comparing to every other bike park in the world (Ok comparing to Whistler, Northstar, Keystone, Winter Park and The Canyons). I never called them "lippy" but that word was attributed to me.

I went to Snow Summit twice last year, once on my DH bike and once on my Tracer. I had fun both times.

bvader, Ebruner and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  22. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    snow summit actually rocks. Learning to scrub lips is a critical skill for every mountain bike rider, not just park monkeys and dirt jumpers. I'm a firm believer that everyone should be able to have fun at Snow Summit even on the jump trails. Either you jump the limps or you absorb them, either way, those are skills that every rider needs on trails.

Grego and Redman like this.
  23. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    no need to go to snow summit... just fully... make right instead of left after tunnel... enough said!

Grego, jaime and Runs with Scissors like this.
  24. But first you need to avoid getting lost 2 or 3 times to even make it that far

25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Hey man we don't condone that here...

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    There are no downhill runs with jumps anywhere around here. No, Sir. :stop: :whistling:

27. Anyone know this spot?

IMG_6851.PNG

28. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    ^^ red bull rampage..?

29. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    There should be a first time FLoop Strava thread with snapshots of their maps. :laugh:

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Is it near Ladera and RSM?

If you're looking for some jumps to hit with that Foes, there may be something not far from you...

Runs with Scissors and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?