Alkalized Water

Discussion in 'Health' started by Tom the Bomb, Aug 14, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    @Doug, no tailwind in the concoction. As a matter of fact you should not mix anything with tailwind. My concoction is ice, 16oz. of coconut water and the rest alkaline-electrolyte water from Trader Joes. Ok secrets out.:sneaky:

2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

BTW,@ Tom the Bomb, I did do the, not secret recipe you suggested but with the ULtima, ice and all, (no tailwind) and it worked great. Granted it was only 11 miles, but I had not ridden at all since SB, I had plenty left in the tank and felt great, came close to adding more, but I'm learning more about myself, no since in putting that kind of stress on my body when it's not ready, and then having to have a day of recovery. Instead I still got plenty done today. Thanks Tom!

Since @Varaxis always knows exactly what he is talking about, he would probably say the product I injest is only a placebo. :)

3. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Nice Doug! You rock my friend! Ride on baby!

Hahaha!

mike, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  4. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    You don't know me then. I don't see any reason to get on the defensive, or be judgmental. If you were spreading misinformation, that's another story; I have a low tolerance for that stuff. If you say your modified TTB drink mix works great, based on your recent experience, we just have to take your word for it. I'm hesitant to try to dissect and analyze anything, since I'm glad people are experimenting at all.

Anyways, alkaline water caught my attention and I started looking that up. So far I got a laugh out of the "see also" section of a related wiki. Drink mixes aren't on the same level as Steve Jobs foolishness, and I already perceive you as having a healthy body, one that I expect can adapt to something like this just fine, so I'll just be moving along.

@LLPoolJ should know a bit about alkaline water. ;) Perhaps @Grego can chime in too. If you know the exact chemicals in the mix, you can then figure out what they break down into and what the body uses, and where the rest goes. Perhaps you're getting the sugars, and the sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and various trace minerals, but what does the other stuff, such as the chlorides and what not, do?

5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Is Alkaline water better than, let's say Smart water? Thanks

mike, Tom the Bomb and Varaxis like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Alkaline water ain't good for pools, it scales them if to many minerals are present. I have heard and tend to believe are bodies have internal adjusters for alkaline and acidic water. I would venture to say alkaline is better than acidic. Acidic eats or erodes things Pools have me to do the adjusting. Acid anyone?

7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I prefer 'shrooms....but if that's all you got...:geek:

mike, Sidewalk, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  8. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am sure you do. Organic!

mike, Tom the Bomb and rossage like this.
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Back to the derail. We are biological and so are pools. A solution for one may not be the solution for another. To many variables. I have had many situations where pools have the same problem with the same fill water and it takes different solutions to remedy the issue. Point is you may need to try many different things to find something that works. Nice to have the experiences others as we do here, so you have somewhere to start.

herzalot, mike, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I will fill my bottle with my neighbors salt water pool water. Maybe as good as Smart Water....

11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    If you like chlorinated water have at it. Salt and electricity produce the same type of chlorine that I pour in a non salt pool.

Varaxis, mike, Sidewalk and 3 others like this.
  12. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Well I use trader joes alkaline electrolyte water. I have heard many different theories on the subject. The electrolytes help with the cramping associated with the general dehydration during mtb.
    If your diet is as good as it gets, non acidic then probably no worries. Most of you know I had major surgery in Jan. to remove a 10" section of my colon because of a polyp that was too big for my gastro doc to remove . The thing was the size of a quarter! Blood in the stool etc. Long story short I should have had cancer, it was not cancerous . I asked the doc why I did not have cancer? Technically irregular cell growth is bad news. He said "I can not tell you but what ever you are doing keep doing it." So I looked back at my diet and water and realized I had been drinking alkaline water for about 15 years. That with my heavy fruit and vegetable diet ( no preservatives, fried fatty, foods etc.) had to be it. I have since cut out all beef, strictly white meat, fruit, veggies, nuts and such as organic as possible. There are a few spots in the in the world called blue zones. In these areas the water in the springs is alkaline naturally. Yes they have a paleo diet as they live off the land but the interesting thing is in these zones the people do not contract the diseases we see regularly. If it is an animal eat it, if it grows out of the ground or on a tree or bush eat it. If it is in a can or package do not eat it. Preservatives are toxins.
    Thats my thought.

herzalot, Redman, mike and 8 others like this.
  13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    If it grows out of the ground, can you smoke it?:whistling: [inhale]

mike, Tom the Bomb, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You can, but banana peels and oregano do not contain psychoactive constituents. :rolleyes:

15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey! People of derailment, let's move this to health since this is good stuff and will be lost forever in a trail invite...:rolleyes:

Varaxis, mike, hill^billy and 2 others like this.
  16. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom

mike, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  17. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    mike, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My opinion as an endurance athlete:

If something is a placebo, and you perform better with it, that's all that matters.

I don't like giving my opinion on nutrition because people don't like it. Not worth arguing with people about.

19. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    IMO the best water to drink is pure water. Pure water is considered neutral with a PH 7. Alkaline water has a higher PH around 8 - 9. The higher PH will dilute you stomach acid at a higher rate. This could have an affect on your digestive system. Stomach acid also kills bacteria. The PH of your blood is around 7.4 +/- a little. If you desire your blood to be a little more alkaline for whatever reason, you can do so by watching what you eat. Most of what we eat/drink is acidic in it's form but after broken down/digestion some foods mostly the healthier ones will produce alkalinity.