Zerode bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluesrider, Mar 9, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Has anyone heard of this company? I looked at the website and they have some good looking bikes. Would be nice if a demo option was possible. Real curious to see if shifting is a crisp and efficient as a regular set up.

https://zerodebikes.com/

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sounds expensive.

3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Kiwi company, at one point I had a plan to fly home for a holiday, pick one up and bring it back with me. $10,000 NZD turns into $6,000 (ish) USD.
    But the buggars changed the law that let you claim the GST back when you fly out of the country :(. Not so much a bargain after that.

From all accounts the bike is supposed to be very good. When I was checking them out a few years ago there were demo options in California but that looks like its changed.

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Interesting.....

Issues:
    1. expensive
    2. resale value...not very in demand.
    3. rear hub? Will any 142 SS hub work? If not, they spec it with a Novatec hub....not the most reliable hubs.
    4. support
    5. cable routed under BB shell.

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Not sure where you're coming from with this... Mine lasted 150 miles before the internals liquified into slag. And Santa Cruz stopped shipping bikes with them... Great hubs! :laugh:

It does seem crazy to spec a junk component like that on such an expensive machine...

6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    No, they don't.

I really like the idea of a gearbox bike, I do, but the transmission isn't ready yet. I'll ignore the pros because I can't overlook the major cons:
    1. Can't shift under power. That's right, you can only shift when coasting.
    2. Lots of drag. A lot of power gets wasted just spinning the gears. I personally can tolerate that part, but that's a major con for most people who actually like to pedal.

Once they figure out #1, I'm interested. Once they figure both out, most people will be interested.

7. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Thanks for the info everyone. I kinda figured it would have flaws, such as drag and the shifting perhaps you could adapt over time, but maybe the company will work out those flaws down the line.

Faust29 likes this.
  8. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    $4223 (USD) today for the frame, X2 factory rear shock, gearbox, cogs, cranks, belt, tensioner etc.

Or get a Santa Cruz hightower (V3) frame for $4099... btw you don't even get a rear shock with that, let alone most of the drivetrain.

herzalot, Sidewalk and Faust29 like this.
  9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    The trail bike started at about $10K NZ, so $6K US; not bad.

Sidewalk likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?