YT Rolling Circus @ Skypark

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Derkderkall, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I was able to make it up to Lake Arrowhead today and check out the YT Demo at Skypark. Here's my rundown.

Thoughts on Skypark:
    I had a really good time. Bought my ticket online before I left the house, printed it, signed the waver and set out on my way. I arrived, found a parking spot (which was really hard to do at 11 am Sunday). Luckily my Elantra GT is not very big, because I was able to get into a spot where somebody in the opposite side left their 4 bike tray down and taking quarter of the spot I was parking in. Went through admission and headed to the demo booth.
    It was really busy today, but the trails didn't seem too impacted, just a lot of traffic around the "village." I have never been to a bike park before today, so this was a good introduction. The climb to the top was extremely easy, only about a 6 or 7 minute spin up from the bottom.

I didn't sample all the trails, just stuck with the blue mostly. but they were pretty fun. Started with "evergreen", a fun twisty/berm filled flow trail that goes about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of the upline. Then back up and on to Sleigh Ride, a good trail to hone the pumping and jumping, then onto playground, which incorporates some features to make it fun. Cool looking skinny to a teeter totter? over a pool at the bottom.. several different little side tracks for black or dbl black challenges. I tested 2 different bikes, so tried each trail on the bike at least once.

Finally, hit up deck the halls, which is an xc style trail through the forest as a detour on the upline. Intermediate trail, but one tricky looking drop (for a blue trail anyway). This one has switchbacks, and some climbing that got my lungs working.

So for bikes. i really wanted to try the Jeffsy 29, since that has been on my short list for next bike when the day finally comes. The first bike available in my size was the xxl capra 27. Felt really good, climbed like a .. capra... I was zipping by everyone heading to the top. (fresh legs maybe?) took it down the 2 easier trails and had a blast. Made sure to hit all the features on playground the second time down since I had a good look at them now. I liked this bike the most. It felt like the sizing was right on. Way more bike than I need for any of the riding I currently do. and the flowy and smooth trails didn't make the suspension work that hard... Comet trail mihgt be a good test for this one... but if it truly is a double black diamond I wasn't prepared for that...

Next tried a Jeffsy 27 in XL, I wanted to try this one on deck the halls, because it could be a good indication for how it handles a lot of the stuff I liked to ride. Not sure how I felt about this bike.... I think it wasn't quite roomy enough... was still a fun bike, just not sure if it would be the best fit. The stats say up to 6'6".. but I think 6'3" would be ideal, 6'4" at the higher end to be truly comfortable..

Something I noticed with both, pedal scraped the ground a few times on the rollers.. I have to be more mindful of feet in neutral position but really surprised me... makes me wonder if the suspension was set correctly for my weight.

I was really impressed by the e thirteen range on the drivetrain. The jumps between gears didn't feel too big at all, and although I didn't have to go to the 46 tooth, I think I would consider this drivetrain over 12x...

Overall, fun day, glad I got to try these bikes,

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Thanks for your report on both Skypark and the bikes. How tall are you? Comfortable on an XXL means you are 6'4" plus, or you like really long bikes.

3. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I'm just a hair under 6'5"without my shoes on. have a positive ape index, so wingspan is probably closer to 6'6".

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Modern frame geo with it's low BB heights has created more contact by the pedals and cranks.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Good write up Brothah!
    @Derkderkall looks that you hit the @Tom the Bomb and @burt build so I'm naturally going to assume you be fast! :)
    Hitting up Sky Park this Saturday with imtbtrails. I can't wait!

6. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Oh, just to add. The hubs were way too loud...

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    What? o_O

I'm with you. Another reason to love ST Swiss 240s.