YT Bikes / Canyon Bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 23, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Any members with any experience with either of these two direct-to-consumer bike brands?

Brother-in-law is asking... for trails in the Appalachians. More flowy than chunky, trail riding versus downhill bombing.

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Our very own @Lost Kiwi has a YT Izzo.
    He kills it on that, just check his luge time.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    How can you go wrong with German engineering?

The Izzo that Danimal mentions caught my eye, too. If I were in the market for a squishy bike, that's the only one on the list.

Danimal, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  4. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Does YT have any demos in So Cal? Would be good to sit on one before buying... for a 6footer their sizing says Large or XL...

I want a squishy bike again... not sure inventory will be avail until 2025 at this rate... lol

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    San Clemente... Right off of La Pata, within throwing distance of the San Clemente Single Tracks. No idea how they are operating during Covid though...

https://us.yt-industries.com/world-of-yt/the-yt-mill/

Edit: It says closed due to Covid. :thumbsdown:

6. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    That's just down the road from the house... damn Covid...

7. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    Main office/warehouse is in San Clemente. You used to be able to demo a bike right out of their office in an industrial park (which is near the SC single track trails). With CA starting to open up, maybe they'll restart the demo program but with all companies selling out every thing they can make, might be a long time before factory demos come back in a big way.

Edit: I see Faust29 beat me to it with the info

8. G Haymond

G Haymond Member

Name:
    G
    I have a Jeffsy and love it. Like they said, not sure currently, but when I purchased I went to the factory and demoed the Capra and Jeffsy in M and L and 27.5 vs 29 to figure out what felt best to me. Also, totally my fault but within the first week I was messing with the fork and over tightened the damper cartridge breaking it. They swapped it out no questions for a new one. Even have free Artifex beer on tap in the showroom.

Danmtchl, Obsidian, BonsaiNut and 5 others like this.
  9. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As @Danimal said YT Izzo owner here, my experience has been all positive so far. Very easy bunch of guys to deal with. They responded to my questions in a reasonable timeframe. I picked my bike up directly from them so can't comment on the shipping side (couldn't test ride or anything due to covid). I had an issue with the remote lockout on my bike, a lot of people did. Sent an email they responded quickly asked for a video showing the problem, I had a new lockout two days later in the post. I've got a problem now with the Fox Transfer, started with YT to find out what to do and they've been very helpful pointing me in the right direction and who to contact at Fox to resolve.

As to the bike itself, I was coming off antiquated 26'ers that probably should be in a museum somewhere so hard to quantify against anything recent. But, I can't fault it, and nearly 6 months later I'm still trying to find its limits. Stonking value for money. Mines the Pro Race so carbon bits everywhere, Fox Factory shocks and post, X01 and DT Swiss carbon wheels, all for under $6k incl taxes. No one else can really come close. I'd say for fast flowy type trails the Izzo would be a hard proposition to go past.

You're welcome to throw a leg over mine if you want to try it on for size, I'm 6ft and went for the large. Fit wise for me I think its bang on. Didn't feel the need to change stem or bars. I have read of some people (same height) who went to the XL for the extra reach but then had to put a shorter stem on to bring the bars back. If you do get one and its the wrong size just take it back and swap it over (assuming they have stock!). They appeared more than happy to help with things like that.

Danmtchl, herzalot, BonsaiNut and 6 others like this.
  10. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Both are good brands with SoCal operations (Canyon is in Carlsbad just off the 5) and both provide excellent values. YT values are the best in the industry in my opinion and that's why they are always sold out.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  11. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Canyon, been waiting for their road bikes to be in stock. But, it looks like I'd be a small or even and XS. I know when I've bought and demo'd mtn bikes in the past I've been steered in the right direction by salespeople to go with a Medium-and, rightfully so.

But, going off my 52CM track bike, I still think a small would work best. Does anyone own a Canyon road bike or gravel bike? Do they run small?

HBkites, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    The short answer is no.

My road crew many members of the "Canyon Mafia". One of them is 6'3" and he ride a Large (road and MTB).

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?