Yeti SB5c and SB6c demo at Sycamore Canyon

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Varaxis, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    [youtube]ewp5vYQohCg[/youtube]

<a class="postlink" href="https://app.strava.com/activities/282477146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://app.strava.com/activities/282477146</a>

2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
  3. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    SB5c - Stiff, smooth, and comfortable. Stiffer than any 5" travel bike I've ever ridden, esp considering its weight. I can pull the front Shimano brake to the grip hard and it still slows down in control, allowing me to steer accurately even on a steep DH slope and stiff enough to not let hard landings throw it off course. I can only explain the difference as perhaps my other bikes sort of compress under similar braking and let the front end lock, with it springing back in a way that throws everything off balance. It's more of a bike that follows the riding style that smoother is faster. The lack of harsh feedback makes things comfortable. Generally, it's made to go fast and will let the rider know that you're not pushing it hard enough. I felt out of breath trying to keep it merely at my limits, but not yet at the bike's limits. I personally like some feedback and some springiness in my bike, since I consider that kind of fun, but I can see how this appeals to racers. Didn't feel like I was going fast, but it got a bunch of medals on Strava.

SB6c - a true Enduro bike. Significantly stiffer than the SB5c. My Enduro doesn't deserve its name, as it's merely a well balanced all-mountain bike in comparison. The SB6c is a weapon. It gives you the confidence to go faster than you've ever gone before. I wasn't used to that kind of speed. For how fast it was on the downhills, it behaved exceptionally well on the climbs. It motored up with minimal attention span needed. Just turn the pedals and point the front wheel, and it handled the rest. I didn't need to move forward on the saddle, try and weight the front end, or even bother with gaining momentum. Felt like I could have rested on the uphills if I turned off some senses and spun in a low gear, leaving my lower half in automatic putting out the same power output, shifting gears to maintain RPM. It was beyond my capabilities for sure, even moreso than the SB5c. I can see why it was capable of competing with DH bikes in the Aus national DH series under Jared Graves and Richie Rude.

I can't believe bikes have evolved to this point so fast. Bikes released just 1 year ago had the same feeling of evolving capability over past bikes, but Yeti defied the Moore's Law of bikes and 1-upped the competition. Personally not for me, as I find I'm regressing into casualville and it's impractical for me to be on a Ferrari of bikes, but for anyone still with ambitions, these should be on the short list of bikes to consider. I dunno, it could probably turn me into a training freak, as it did make me feel like I was out of shape and I react to that feeling by training.

4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Thank you Varaxis! ;) . Trying to hit the lotto now. I admit, it looked like you just got going to fast on some of that stuff but trusted the bike, and didn't have to post this on Crash Confessions. :cool: .

5. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Trail ninja!!! you make sycamore look sooo easy !!! nice video, thanks !

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    That review of the SB6 alone is making me nervous! Like, I might instantly contract Obsesive Compulsive Disorder and go further in debt!

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Don't view this then...

<a class="postlink" href="http://gear.bikemag.com/2015-bible-of-bike-tests/all-mountain/yeti-sb6c-x01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://gear.bikemag.com/2015-bible-of-b ... c-x01.html</a>

Thanks Varaxis. This bike was at the top of my list, then I read about the flurry of broken rear swingarms in their "pre-production" demo bikes they sent to Pinkbike and Bike magazine and took the bike off my list. It's back at the top. The new Warden in 2016 better be pretty dayumm great.

And, uh, no, you are not too old that you need to turn down the throttle. Talk to me in 25 years.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Varaxis - I have viewed your video now and 100 comments come to mind. I'll keep it to less than that.

1.) You clearly let loose once on the SB6c. You hit everything you could find! Impressive. If your other posts imply you do not have courage or skill - you sir, have both!
    2.) I can help you with your overshooting flat turns problem. Come on down Sunday.
    3.) I have never ridden Sycamore, but have always wanted to do so. I had today off. I am a huge Yeti fan. I HATE YOU! FU%%%%%%!
    4.) We would all like you to study Claudio Caluori and then do this again. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-claudios-course-commentary-lourdes-2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-clau ... -2015.html</a>

:clap: :wave: :thumbup: :clap:

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oh crap! I went there anyway... :eek:
    After Kokopelli, I'm saving my tractor money!
    I can get a killer deal exclusively for imtbtrails members when 3 or more bikes are purchased at the same time...

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    herzalot,
    I just PM'ed you...

11. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yea, that SB6c was ridiculous. I was purposely looking for ways to challenge it, since it made things too easy. I wish my bike were as stiff as it. I wish my Pike were as good as that 36. Makes mine feel like it needs some damper work.

The SB5c is probably as close as it gets to the perfect trail bike. Suits me better, since it still leaves some challenge in the trail (challenge that's just above my skill level = fun) and merely tells me to go faster, which I agree with. Sounds like an ideal partner to me.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And I now publicly HATE you!!! :shifty: :wave: You are truly evil but not this kind of Evil...

But more like this kind of evil...

:twisted:

The Following.jpg

YetiSB6c.jpg

13. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    I wouldn't mind that other Evil. :twisted:

14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Great riding Dan! I miss you! ...but not like that...

15. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Newbie

Name:
    Osmar
    Fortunately Sycamore's turns are very forgiving, not like there's any trees or anything.... :lol: :lol: :lol: thanks for the video.....I used to ride all that stuff till one day I realized I have a couple of dependents... :cry: ....