Wrightwood with Doug and the Crew

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by AKAKTM, Oct 13, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    This is Doug's ride and I should let him post, but I wanted to thank him for calling the ride and allowing me to join. We did about 25 miles and 3700ft (a few did some bonus miles) and rode some amazing trails along with a few, ok more like 10 miles of roads. The company was great with Jose, Luis, Rodney, Burt and Doug. Thanks again Doug for showing us some excellent trails and beautiful vistas.

Burt deserves a special mention. If you haven't ridden with Burt, he's amazing. He's about 6'6" tall and makes his hardtail 26 bile look like a toy bike. His bike has V-brakes in the rear, a short travel fork, worn tires and a meter long seatpost...yet he hauls a**. Up or down, Burt rails that bike around. Very impressive.

Unfortunately, someone in the group had an expensive booboo at the end and crunched a beautiful carbon rim. Fortunately nobody was hurt and a fantastic day was had by all.

I can't wait to go back and next time, I'll make sure to allocate eight hours so as to let Doug ride to dark...and I will not let Doug provide directions to the gas station. Sorry you had to head back Maddog!

IMG_0174.jpg
    Just the beginning of a wonderful and cool day.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg
    Some pretty cool hardware up on the mountain having fun.

IMG_0180.jpg
    Time for Doug to eat his PBnJ and take in some scenery.

IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0184.jpg IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0192.jpg IMG_0195.jpg
    A very bad way to end the day, but fortunately nobody was hurt...other than in the wallet.

2. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Love it up there. Me ,doug, scottay , maddog ride up there often. Thx for the pix.....and what the heck happened to that wheed!?!?!?

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice run down, nice ride. TFPU.

I second hearing more about the casualty. To be filed under Try Not To Do This.

Mikie and hill^billy like this.
  4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Scan>Well, he smoked it!
    Toni>Always good riding with you and the others on that fine fine day!
    Yah, I tried to drop who ever it was on my wheel going down the Logging Trail? Only to find at the bottom it was Burt beaming with a adrenaline fueled smile of happiness! So Burt is riding an inferior bike I think? On a trail he has never ridden, and I get the feeling I was surely holding him up! Yah he's talented! And just a little crazy?

Postal Pat, Mikie, mike and 1 other person like this.
  5. burt

burt Member

Name:
    burt
    Great riding up there at the top of the ACH, thanks for leading and setting a wicked pace on the single track Doug; could've railed leprechaun had you lead that one too.

I'm not 6'6" AKAKTM, but I'll take what I can get ;)

Bummer about the wheel, hope Ibis comes through with a reasonable fix. It seems to me, after ~200 years of wire wheel development, a 2 foot slow speed drop should fall under the category of just riding along.

Faust29, Luis, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Thanks for the post-mortem on the hoop. Note to self: Trying to drop Burt may have serious consequences : 0

Glad there was no ER time. Parts are expendable. Good work, lads.

hill^billy likes this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Burt will make every one of us feel foolish for our expensive equipment. A Dart, an ill-fitting 1990s frame and v-brakes - and he will ride circles around all of us, up, over, and down.

mike, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 1 other person like this.
  8. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    One fall I had to push/ride my bike across the ski slope in the snow because they had started making snow. The most excellent Acorn Trail is way up top so during snow making no choice but walk the slope in the snow. Blue Ridge Trail pretty nice but Acorn mucho better. I thought they might run me off but no one complained.

Dean

hill^billy, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Tony!
    Thanks Man! For such a nice report rich with pics! I'm so glad to see a blend of good guys riding together!

Hah hah! I was thinking the same thing! Great response!

hill^billy likes this.
  10. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Ride well done gentlemen!!

Luis, you're such a ham!! Luv it......:thumbsup:

Mikie and Luis like this.
  11. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    scene of accident.JPG Great day of riding except for the wheel mishap at the very end of the ride. Came down wrong on the front wheel after not seeing this drop in front of me, blew out front tire and destroyed carbon rim. Ibis is sending me a crash replacement rim for $300 (retail $450). Lesson learned, don't ever take your eyes off the trail and always pay attention to what's ahead. Can't wait to get up their again. Gotta get me some Leprechaun.

Luis, ridinrox, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  12. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    I've done the same thing a few times; most recently about last Feb. There was no snow at all up there except for the remnants of the man-made stuff on the slopes. Conditions were horrible for skiing but great for mtbing! As I was trudging over the slushy mess a skier gliding over me on the lift yelled out "Why are you mountain biking up here?" I kind of chuckled and retorted; "Why are you skiing up here? There's a lot more dirt than snow!" He had nothing! I had a great ride on Acorn with the additional bonus miles on the SOT!

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    But this concerns me...
    Should that rim blew apart like that?
    This probably should be a new post...

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Don't ride carbon unless someone is paying you to!

hill^billy and Mikie like this.
  15. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie, it all depends on how you land on a rim. I'm pretty sure that the rim had no choice. If it were an Al rim, it would have severely tacoed, but carbon doesn't have that option. I expect this carbon rim was stronger than a similar ZTR, but pushed to the failure point off axis, carbon breaks where Al may bend. Both fail.

Luis, Mikie and MCB2K like this.
  16. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Not wheels, but you get the general idea.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Needs more whacking: :)

Oaken and Mikie like this.
  18. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name: