Wrightwood 50 - 2019 Social Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Oct 27, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'll start it off... But I'm really looking forward to hearing the perspectives of the first timers. They absolutely knocked it out of the park today.

A few days before the big event, my allergies went into overdrive. Watery eyes, sneezy, stuffy head... I held off on taking anything, but finally gave in Friday. By Saturday morning, my head was completely plugged, and I looked as if I had cried all night. :cry: As I left the house in the morning, I told the wife that if it weren't Wrightwood, I'd be crawling back in bed. She mumbled something incoherent about "don't fall off the mountain." Good advice... :D

I picked up @mtnbikej at o'dark thirty and we made good time to Wrightwood. We were early enough that we hit the McDonalds off the interstate instead of waiting for the one and only Wrightwood restroom to open at 6.

It was 46 degrees on the thermometer as we rolled into town, which is the warmest we've seen at the start over the last 4 years. I'm pretty sure we both thought the same thing... Nice and comfy now, boiling like lobsters later on in the Devil's Punchbowl.

There were a lot of familiar faces at the start: @Sidewalk , @Walleye , @SS Barby , @mountaingirl sara , @evdog , @mtnbikej, Calvin (Rumor has it he's an IMTB lurker...) and myself. It was nice to see Josh again, and I knew he had a small axe to grind after just missing the top spot last time around after blowing the final turn at the gas station. This year's race did not come down to a photo finish. He hauled ass and kicked the course's ass. He was still classy enough to pull over for an old fat guy on Boy Scout... :whistling:

Jason, Sara, and I rolled out with the herd. Walleye and SS Barby were out ahead at the start... The pavement out of town is pretty damn steep, but we all made it up without issue. That pavement sets the tone for the entire ride. You know right away that this is for real, and you're going to suffer. You will work for every downhill and you just might be a little too fried by that time to enjoy them...

Jason and Calvin hiking up Acorn...
    IMG_0120.jpeg

Evdog- and Sara in the background riding one of the few short flat sections. This was the last Evan sighting until the end.
    IMG_0123.jpeg

1 hour and 20 minutes into the ride, we're at elevation- 8200 feet. Everyone is still smiling.
    IMG_0128.jpeg

As far as I know, there was only one mechanical in our group for the day... :whistling:
    IMG_0130.jpeg

After the initial jaunt across the fire road, it's a whirlwind of trails, including: Blue Ridge Trail, Logjammer, and Leprechaun. The DH order was pretty consistent throughout the day. Jason led down, with Sara hot on his heels. Calvin was not far behind riding the fully rigid single speed, while Bill and I brought up the rear. The trails are all in fun shape... A little more blown out and dry than some years, but they are all a riot. It was on Leprechaun that we hooked up with @Walleye again, and we remained together for the rest of the ride. :thumbsup:

Regrouping on Boy Scout
    IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

The Fenner DH is short, and the climb back up is tough, so it's not popular on group rides. The trail is a riot, though. It starts out fast and flowy, and then quickly throws several blown out hairpin switchbacks at you. I did not clean a single one today, and it was glorious... :D

Manzanita. Holy Sh!t that trail is a riot... More rugged than Cannell, looser than anything around here, ankle deep acorns, trail falling off the mountain, washouts, bouldering, HAB, white knuckle descents, and 6 miles long. John caught us on Manzanita. Apparently he missed a turn or two in the beginning and ended up doing something like the Wrightwood 65. :eek:

Still Smiling..
    IMG_0144.jpeg

Some years there's a line through here, and some years you carry the bike over boulders...

IMG_0146.jpeg

This section was completely different than last time. New lines... And it's a lot sketchier than it looks.
    IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0154.jpeg

The climb out was hell. In direct sunlight, the GPS showed 104 on the pavement. I just put my head down and pedaled. Not much choice there... Thankfully the prison water was cold and clear. :inlove: A bottle or two went straight over my head... And I wasn't alone. :D

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

The fire road was mostly a HAB. John and Calvin were out front. Rumor has it that Calvin cleaned the entire thing on the single speed. :eek: Sara, Bill, Jason and I took our time... It was a nice hike. It was also about the time that my voice completely failed me... Jack Nicholson meets Kermit the Frog. :laugh:

After the Manzanita loop, the rest of the day is actually a little easier... Down Boy Scout, a short jaunt down the pavement, and back onto the trails behind Apple Campground. Another pavement climb that seems a lot longer than it really is, and down Table Mountain Trail for the final dirt of the day.

This is my 4th time out there... 3rd finish, so I'm back up to batting .750. :laugh: The group was freaking awesome this time around and I wouldn't change a thing... Best Wrightwood 50 to date. :thumbsup: I find it incredible that we have the people on this forum who can turn a ride like this into a social outing. Amazing...

We'll see who comes back for another try at it... :D

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 6.54.36 AM.jpg

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Fantastic report and ride!!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations to all current and former Aye Empty Beers who ticked off the monster. Especially ones with an allergy handicap! AYE!!!!!!

OTHRider, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 12 others like this.
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    @Faust29
    Great RR Steve!!
    This ride was brutal from the start, internally I wanted to quit quite a few times:oops:. Had it not been for the encouragement of you hooligans I’d have been a DNF.

4. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    38BC5EBC-8193-43BD-A961-0C653EE53641.jpeg AD2B0B54-38C1-4630-BDAB-8524D9C5DC10.jpeg 60E51C5B-A8F1-47DD-9009-74B72277F6D2.jpeg Welp, wholly shite we made it!! That was by far the toughest athletic endeavor I’ve ever attempted. This ride truly tested my boundaries and revealed weaknesses.
    @Faust29 @mtnbikej @SS Barby @Walleye and Calvin~ what a stellar group! The fact that we could regroup with big smiles after every grueling climb says it all!
    Those freaking climbs were downright soul crushing, but the downhills were soul rejuvenating. Leprechaun was a blast, and Manzanita, like Steve said was sketchy AF, but a blast as well!! Getting to dunk into the cold stream after Manzanita and before the next big climb was genius!
    There were moments where I thought my legs were just gone, but somehow the will to finish kept them moving.. however slowly.
    Toward the end of the ride I took the downhill sections more slowly as my judgement at that point was questionable:coffee:, so thankfully no crashes, and only the one mechanical when I noticed the rear brake rubbing after the first huge climb (thanks J :oops::inlove: @mtnbikej ).
    Would I do this ride again?! I can’t say yet..probably yes, but I’m also still a little delirious :thumbsdown:o_O
    The bonds created on such an epic ride are strong, I appreciate you stinkin hooligans and am thankful for every one of you:inlove: @evdog it was nice to meet you! Love seeing your epic RR’s and hope to ride with you again!
    Calvin (lurker) so great to meet you and ride with you, such a gentleman and a superhero athlete! Hope to meet up and ride again!
    9DC799EF-3ED7-4C29-A4DD-AB355F61DF30.jpeg

64D43560-E6C9-40C6-B241-8ACA0820E2C6.jpeg

274E0F34-0820-49B5-B21F-D6718C029860.jpeg

AA4D01F0-3743-4187-9F62-DFE40604070C.jpeg

6A86E61A-B74C-4323-8BBB-CEC5572EA201.jpeg

5. Walleye

Walleye Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    You imtb-ers ROCK! As advertised, the WW50 done kicked my a$$, & I liked it! Steve, Jason, Sara, John, & Calvin, you were were so kind & gracious to me, while I dragged up & down the trails (aka The Boat Anchor). Your 'no man left behind' credo buoyed my spirits, & made me thankful once again for joining this group! Great pics Steve &Sara; all I got in my cramp-filled delirium was a shot of a tree:
    IMG_20191026_140912.jpg

~JB~, Postal Pat, OTHRider and 24 others like this.
  6. Walleye

Walleye Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    ~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    After seeing you spring back to life after the pickle juice, I'm a believer! What else is in that stuff? :eek:

One of the funnier moments yesterday... Near the end, as we were discussing the merits of single speeding, I offered to swap bikes with Sara for a spell. She said something to the effect of, "You made your choices, ladies." That was classic, but what was even better was the "you're so full of Sh!t" look I got after telling her that I thought the ride was easier with one gear. :Roflmao She wasn't buying it... IMTB gold...

Is anyone else famished and parched this morning? I can't open the fridge. I want to eat and drink everything in sight. :eek:

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So WW50 #4 is now in the books......

@Faust29 eluded to, this would be the more social WW50 that we have done.

We rolled into Wrightwood about 6:10 in the dark, and it was surprisingly warm....40*...which is warm compared to the 30* temps we have seen in the past. Geared up, found Calvin and @mountaingirl sara and headed down to the start. Checked in and said hello to @Sidewalk , @evdog , @Walleye . Soon we were off.

It was sooooo nice not to be all bundled up. Went with just the sun sleeves this morning. Was able to light.

We immediately drifted to the back of the pack. No problem with me, I knew the first 1.5 miles was gonna be crappy. The road climb always has a few extra turns that you forget about. @SS Barby and @Walleye took off with the fast guys. Steve, Calvin and I took a quick break when we reached the dirt. Sara rolled up a moment later. She was probably thinking WTF did I get myself into. Short climb to get to Acorn Trail.....then it was shoelace express. It was just a grind to the top. Lots of jibber jabber to help the time go by.

Soon enough we got to the top. We assured Sara that we all suffered on the HAB, and that the rest of the ride would get better. A little ways down Blue Ridge Truck trail she said her bike was kinda hard to pedal....turns out her rear brake was dragging. Quick fix and we were on our way again, and she wasn't fighting the extra resistance. A short time later we'd hit the top of Blue Ridge Trail.

I dropped in first, Sara followed, Calvin and Steve in tow....this would be how the day would go.....mostly. Passed a few hikers but it was pretty much wide open. At the bottom a quick turn around and up through Mtn High we went. Now it was 3 SS's and 1 geared bike....so we would pull ahead a little bit on the steeper climbs, but our geared compadre was never far behind.

Over and across to Logjammer was quick. Another fun run down it. Someone on a geared bike was never far behind. Calvin on her heels....on the rigid. Smiles all around at the bottom, then the traverse over to Leprechan. It was a bit more beat up than last we were there....but that was in the dark. About 1/2 down we caught up to @Walleye . He heard us charging and let us go by. He would join our foursome the rest of the day. The bug started to get bad on the climb up to Jackson Lake. At the top we were passed by 2 ebikers. Best quote of the day heard from one of the ebikers "hold on dude, I need to change the setting on my bike"....sissy's. It was around this point that Sara said something about if we weren't here, she would have already bailed out.....we were only 18 miles in.

A quick stop at Mt Oat? campground for water, then we began the climb up Boyscout. Such a nice climb....never steep, just a nice gentle grade. We made it to Fenner Saddle. We only do this part of the loop to get the required distance and elevation for the day. The descent down Fenner Saddle is fun and short, but you pay for it with a crappy climb back up the fire road to the top of Boyscout.

My only pic of the day....I was having too much fun to pull my phone out...... :geek:
    IMG_5687.JPG

Quick break at the "neutral support" cooler and party bucket. Downed a Coke and some Halloween goodies. It was warm when we dropped down to Vincent's Gap and onto Manzanita. The top section was a little tight and slightly overgrown. As we progressed down we reached the first scree/rock/washout to navigate. Today there was no trail through it. Once on the other side it was back to fun. Yeah, acorn season is in full effect. We spent miles surfing down 6" of it on a trail about 16" wide....it was glorious. Everyone had a smile on their face.....giggles and laughter abound. At the big scree/rock/washout, we were a bit strung out. While we waited for the back of the pack, we took advantage of the flowing water in the creek. Dipping in the cold water helped offset the warm temps. @SS Barby rolled up while we were there....apparently he had some navigational errors along the way....now our group had grown to 6.

We reached the bottom of Manzanita and started the slog back up Big Rock Creek Rd. There is no way around it....put your head down and pedal. Try to forget that it is hot, dry and windy....it is all uphill. We again got spread out. What seems like an eternity...finally ends when we got to the Prison Fire Camp. We were told in the ride notes that there were 2 spigots for water. The one that looked like a Hornets Singer was the one that would run cold and clean. So I headed to that one. Turned it on, and the water looked like orange Gatorade. Turns out the other spigot was running cold and clean. The water was shockingly cold. We did what we could to cool down.

With tired legs we remounted and started up the dirt road. We knew that we weren't gonna pedal all the way. About 1/2 mile up, it was HAB time. The bugs were pretty annoying in the shade. John and Calvin pulled ahead. Us 4 just kept plugging along. Yup....it seems like it just goes on forever. Finally we reached Vincent Gap again. The HAB was over. Now we could remount and pedal again. Just before we started rolling another ebike rolls up the road we just hiked up in jeans and tennis shoes. "Watch out for the all acorns on Manzanita" he tells us...yeah we already did it. He loads up his car and drives away. We continued our ride.....sissy.

The climb back up to the "neutral support" cooler and party bucket went ok considering the tired legs. I did have a quick twinge in my quad a few times, but it went away. Another coke at the aid station. This break was a little longer than usual. Sara was looking a little tired, Steve was a mute and Bill was fighting some cramps. John gave his pickle juice and mixed with a coke, straightened out the cramps. All the hard parts of this ride were over. 10 miles to the finish with only a few short, mostly easy climbs. Down Boyscout is always a treat. Today I didn't attack it like I usually do. More people in our group, so a few more regroups to make sure everyone was accounted for.

At the bottom of Boyscout, John would have a few navigational troubles....but we quickly sorted those out. We knew where we were going, he was going how he usually does. The road spin up to Apple Tree Campground was a grind. We got spread out on the ride into the short HAB above it. Steve was still feeling like crap, Sara was well beyond her comfort zone and Bill was just trying to finish. Climbed up past the bottom of Logjammer and out on the Hwy at Leprachan. This is my mental spot on this ride. The 2nd time through here plays with my mind. The hwy climb back up to Mtn High was just put your head down and pedal. My bike had developed a tic-tok at the bottom of Manzanita that I had to listened to for hours....it was maddening.

Finally made the left hand turn and started up the climb for Table Mtn. It's about a 8-9 min climb. It was late in the day so the temps had cooled back down. Soon enough we all made it to the overlook. Climbing for the day was finished. All that was left was an easy traverse on a paved path followed by a fun run down Table Mtn Trail. Everyone made it down with smiles on their faces. No crashes.

Short high speed coast back down into town......and just like that the ride was over. Checked in at the finish, found out there was still one rider out there, turns out it was @evdog .

Sara headed home, the rest of us grabbed burgers.

All in all a great day on the mountain. Awesome trails, good peoples, fun times.

Congrats to @mountaingirl sara Sara for taking a chance and stepping waaaay outside of her comfort zone. Way to keep pushing on. :thumbsup: A death march with the boys and she survived.....see, we aren't really that bad. :rolleyes: :sneaky: Now we know you can do it....we expect to see you on more of them. ;) :facepalm:

Steve pushed through a tough day feeling less than 100%.....wonder how he's feeling today.

Only a year to the next one.

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 23 others like this.
  9. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    You all are RAD

10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Lol, you offered that SS while climbing..not the smoothest move Jack:Roflmao:p How’s your voice BTW?
    And yes, when I finally made some food this morning, I realized how crazy hungry I was! Should have had a burger with you guys last night, dang it!:facepalm:
    Before bed I took some CBD oil, two Advil, ,melatonin, magnesium oil and NyQuil... that was dinner. :laugh:

~JB~, Tom the Bomb, Luis and 11 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Well @Walleye I was glad to have you with us! Otherwise I would have picked up the rear :Roflmao :whistling: Plus, waiting for you was a no brainer, we were able to breath for a minute or two!! Glad you made it through the leg cramps and to the finish!

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Now wait a minute...Are you implying that I’m doing this next year?! :confused::geek:;)
    J, you are a stellar human:thumbsup: Thanks for pulling me through that hell and out the other side!

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

You learned what you are truly capable of on a bike. :thumbsup:

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Fantastic reportage, great hearing and seeing the different takes on the day!

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Two Benadryl this morning immediately worked wonders, but I don't think I can ride a bike like this... :sleep::sleep::sleep:

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Wow, you guys dug deep...extra props to Sara and Bill for hanging on!! :thumbsup:

And Steve the mute? No patented giggle? Tough send!!!!!

17. Walleye

Walleye Member

Name:
    Bill P.
    Current Bike:
    Trek Fuel EX7
    Steve was a STUD -making it look easy while coughing & frog-talking up the hills!

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Well done Hooligans, Hooligal and esteemed guests!! Too many things are called "epic" but this qualifies. That or perhaps a shared ordeal.

Regardless - AWESOME! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

19. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Fantastic stuff! Love the ride report. Really love the camaraderie report. Nice work, all.

20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Wowtch! Well done all. Blown away and so proud of y’all!

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    rossage, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Good to see no asterisks this time around!

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Too bad for @Sidewalk. Hope he finds some motivation next time. :eek: :facepalm:

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Touché!

25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Someone has to break the 5:00 mark!

26. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Why is J Tootle’s elevation only 9000’ ?

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Because our recording devices are not very accurate out there....for what ever reason.

28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    He may not have let Strava correct the elevation. Mine only recorded 8500 this year. I knew it was off, because it only showed 1500 at the top of Acorn...

In Oregon, my Garmin was almost useless. Dense canopy and cloud cover can prevent good signal...

29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Darn, that’s a big discrepancy! Makes me think I need to use a Garmin along with my Strava.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

The 3 of us were all within about 250' on our devices.

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.