Wrightwood 50- 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Congratulations to @Sidewalk. He flies- up and down. :thumbsup:

Let's just say that my 3rd Wrightwood 50 was not my best Wrightwood 50. I still had a riot, even though I was the boat anchor of the day for Amy, Calvin, and @mtnbikej . Fortunately, I'm familiar enough with the area that I was able to make a couple modifications, and skip a descent or two. Still ended up with 46 miles and just under 10,000 feet. It wasn't pretty...

As far as the course... Just wow. Temps were perfect, scenery was awesome, and the trails were in great shape. Manzanita seemed a little rougher than last time, but that may have just been me...

I'm going through the video I took yesterday... This was one of my favorites, even though I was dying by this point... One of the crossings on Manzanita:

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And this section of Manzanita freaked me out this time around... :D

3. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I agree, Manzanita felt harder. But my time was faster. I think the rock sections were harder, but it was less Sandy overall so I could go faster in the other areas.

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Narrow, off-camber, exposed, and paved with loose gravel...
    What me worry?

Great job guys!

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I was thinking about you as I was crawling through there yesterday. Riding that stuff at your speed? I would have been over the side... :D :eek::confused:o_O

6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Super proud effort, Steve, especially considering the load you've been pulling the last few months. :thumbsup::notworthy:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I'll have to add this to my list of trails to NEVER do. :stop: You guys and gals have nerves of steel to cross that exposure. :eek: o_O

Nice work out there, ya masochists!

8. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My second run at it.

I recently hired a coach to help me for next race season. I wasn't expecting any input on this event as it is more a 'bragging rights' event. Or, just a beautiful day on the trails that some of us choose to go batsh!t on. But really, this is as 'grass roots' as you can get, and that's the best racing. So when he called me and started giving me advice that included "you need to take a risk, go out hard at the start, and don't hold back. What would Tinker do?" I thought "I like this guy!".

I managed to get everything ready the day before and in bed at a decent time, 7.5 hours of sleep is a lot for me! Arriving at a decent time to get ready for the roll out is always nice.

Eric rolls us out at 6:35, and the guy who won last year (didn't know it at the time) takes off quick, so I jump on his rear tire. I figure I'll pace him for a while, then decide if I need to go harder after Acorn begins.

Rolling through the neighborhood, it is just barely twilight and quiet. I'm following Guy Sutton when a Jeep approaches at an intersection to the right. The Jeep stops at the stop sign, we continue rolling. But as soon as guy clears the Jeep, the Jeep starts accelerating! As we are climbing and barely moving, and I'm trying to spin, I'm not in a position to evade. So at the last moment I unclip and prepare to land on the hood. But at that same moment the Jeep hits the brakes and comes to a stop with the bumper barely touching my calf.

I continue on behind guy, and the rest of the group slowly fades away. Guy's pace is pretty quick when we hit the dirt on Acorn, and my heart rate is at a high, but manageable level so I sit behind him a short distance. About a 1/3 of the way I could tell he was at his limit, so I went by at the first obstacle where we have to dismount (large rock and root). From there he slowly fades behind. On some of those places you can't even manage your HR anymore unless you just come to a stop, it's just that steep. And my 32/42 gearing has me barely even spinning (I look forward to Eagle). I bit my max HR on this climb just like last year, except last year it was on accident.

I don't know how fast I went up at this point, but it felt like KOM territory. I was pretty happy, though I was wondering what that did to my legs for the remaining 45 miles...

I had a clear lead here and kept the push with Guy now out of sight. I tried to be a little more conservative going down Blue. I know Carl Bauer ended his race with a slashed tire here last year, and I didn't want to lose all the ground I made by making mistakes. Guy was on a full sus with dropper, so I'd lose time to him just about no matter what.

Get to the bottom of Blue nice and smooth with one minor wrong turn at the bottom and fill my bottles. I planned my water stops better this time.

I make the turn and start rolling up the resort and there is Guy again a minute or so ahead of me. Sigh.

I start chasing him up the climb, slowly reeling him in, and he disappeared! I assumed he put the hammer down, so I started pushing. At the top I saw Eric get out of his car when he saw me, so I started to think guy missed a turn? Weird. On the flyby replay it looks like he stopped in the middle of the trail, but I'm guessing he pulled off the trail to take care of business and I didn't see him. I kept looking for tire tracks down the Logging Rd and Leprechaun, and occasionally saw signs that he was ahead, but nothing definitive.

I fill up with fluids at Jackson Lake and take in some extra water as I remember it being a long way to the prison water and start climbing again. I encountered my first Hunter going up Boyscout... listening to headphones! My GPS got all confused and I didn't take steps to correct it, and missed the turn down Fenner. I did nearly the entire Boyscout up before turning around. By then Guy (who had completely closed the gap) and Carl had passed me. I was chasing them now. I saw Eric at the cooler and asked if I was in second, be said third but they were just ahead.

I got on to Manzanita and decided NOT to try and close the gap here. Goal was to try and flow it, no risk taking. A few minutes in and my front brake starts feeling soft. I could pump it up, then it would feel soft again. I take a quick glance and see if I could see fluid leaking, but nothing obvious. I decide that this is the last hard DH, and I'm already in it. Worst case I just nurse it back on the rear only, give up going fast.

I survived getting down and see a rider barely ahead of me at the bottom, I was amazed to be that close. Now with the big climb up Rock Creek, it was time to get some work done. I ramp it up, hoping my locked out hard tail pays off here and start spinning fast. I slowly start reeling in Carl. I get by and he doesn't respond to the effort. I then see Guy ahead, and reel him in too. He gets to the fireroad just before me and I see him loop around the water, see me, then take off. I think he was deciding not to stop for water. I stop and fill up a bottle...that water was very brown...and get rolling before Carl catches me. I catch guy about 5 minutes later and keep pushing on. I can't see him when I make the uturn to keep climbing up to Boyscout, and hope I have enough of a gap that he doesn't catch me on the descent.

I forgot to charge my GPS and accidentally drained it down friday. I thought it had enough juice to get through the race. But I powered it off going up the fireroad at 5% to help me navigate the end. I powered it on down Boyscout and it helped me miss one turn...and helped me navigate back on to the right trail.

I figure Guy had passed me at this point, so I push hard going up Hwy 2 after Jackson Lake and see a rider getting on to the dirt ahead of me. I run him down to see it was Carl again! I get by, but now I think Guy is pretty far ahead based on the last time I saw them so I went extra hard up Hwy 2 to Tabletop to try and catch him. But after I tried to power my GPS up again to figure out my turn off for the final DH singletrack, I found the battery totally dead. So I pull out my phone while soft pedaling to try and figure it out, and Carl comes back around me. Sh!t! I'll follow him down the trail, then hammer by on the road to the finish. Not a great strategy, but my only one!

I think he tries to screw with me (in a competitive way) and slams on the brakes and swerves at the last second for the turn, and I barely hold on. I chase down the trail, but at a distinct disadvantage with him on a trail bike full sus with dropper compared to my XC HT with rigid post, so I had to sprint every corner. I lose about 14 seconds on the trail. Once on the road I find I can't close the gap. The road was too steep to pedal, so I'm doing 35 MPH tucked in, hoping the road flattens out. Sure enough, it did. So I start hammering the pedals and get by. I am ahead by about a second when I realize...that's my turn for the Yodeler! Be makes the turn, I lock the rear and full sprint up the road. But, though I rode right past it, we agree he was there first with me about 2 seconds back. First sprint finish for the WW50!

We both set a new course record, finishing at 11:59 am!

Appearantly Guy started having stomach issues and took a long break at the cooler to recover. I think his time was near the old course record, which he missed by 2 minutes last year.

Needless to say, with those last few mistakes known, I'm ready for next year! Should have my new to me Epic soon too!

Instagram Link

IMG_20181020_055714962.jpg

IMG_20181020_072454186_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20181020_075213997.jpg

IMG_20181020_080450145_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20181020_114936596_BURST000_COVER.jpg

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Such a great trail......felt like a kid in a candy store. Think I was giggling the whole time down.

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    That was good stuff...:thumbsup: What camera and mount? It's much smoother than my session 4 mounted on the stem cap and you're on a hardtail.

11. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Very nice.
    Great job all.
    One of these days...

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    3rd straight year for this one.

I know earlier in the month, I wasn't looking forward to this. Earlier this week, I really wasn't lookin forward to it. All 3 of us had our concerns as we all felt we were outta shape.

Weather looked like we would be good with the temps....but I saw that the SA's were supposed to start blowing again Fri/Sat. I wasn't happy.

We pulled into town a bit early.....the gas station restroom wouldn't open for another 20 mins. It was cool, but not cold.

Rolled down to the start talked to @Sidewalk and @evdog ....then we were off. The paved start and climb seem to go on forever. Today was no different. However, I took it a bit slower and controlled my HR.

Once we hit the dirt, it was an hour of HAB. Our hike up Acorn Trail was about 10 mins faster than last year and a few mins faster than 2016. We made it up to Blue Ridge Truck Trail and immediately welcomed by the wind. Cool and crisp mountain wind. The 4 of us made our way across BRTT and dropped down Blue Ridge Trail. Had a couple of "oh sh*t" moments on a few things I forgot about. I also dropped a bottle that rolled off the hillside about 25' down. Yes, I did retrieve it.

Through Mtn High and over to LogJammer was kind of just a blur. Still a fast and fun descent. The run down Leprachaun seemed a bit rougher, but my corner was in much better shape. The climb back to Jackson Lake went by quickly. It was about this time @Faust29 was planning his route deviation, so Amy, Calvin and I pushed on up Boyscout knowing we still had to drop down Fenner Saddle and climb back up the top of Boyscout. I forget how long the climb after Fenner is.

IMG_4153.jpg IMG_4154.jpg

Short brake at the cooler, then we headed down Manzanita. Calvin had never ridden it and Amy isn't a fan of it. Still a fun trail. Parts seemed rougher, parts seemed not as rough, parts seemed more packed down. Finally caught Steve just before the terraced section above. That section is such a neat experience. The exposure is crazy and you will fall a long ways. Through the campground before the road climb back up to the prison. Noticed the wind was blowing in from the North. Out on the hwy, we got a nice tailwind for a good portion of the paved climb. This section just sucks the life out of you. This is also where we hit our high temp of 78*.
    IMG_4157.jpg IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg

After the short brake at the prison water stop we began the slog up the dirt road back to the cooler. About 3/4 mile up I gave in and walked with Steve. Amy and Calvin took off. Got back on shortly after we made the uturn at the parking lot....it felt good to be pedaling again. Back at the cooler, it was time for a Coke and some halloween candy. Calvin was there, but Amy had continued on. Down Boyscout.....fun fun fun. At the bottom Steve took another route deviation....Calvin and I stuck to the route.

We would be on our own most of the rest of the ride. The short punchy climbs on the way to the bottom of Log Jammer were finally starting to take their toll. When we made it back to the hwy and began the climb back to Mtn High, the legs felt dead. Made the left turn to climb to to Table Mtn....again there was nothing in the legs. It was all I could do to turn the pedals over. Good thing it was only a few mins before we reached the top. Another fun and flowy run down Table Mtn.

Just at the bottom saw Steve and Amy roll away on the other side of the hwy. We hopped on and headed down to town. I passed those 2 and they were surprised....I thought they saw us at the bottom of Table Mtn.

Fun day on the mtn. Still a fun event.....still a painful event. Was good to get a 10k' climbing day in. Weather was perfect all day long.

50 / 10580'

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Session 5... I shot in 4K, but only uploaded 1080 to YouTube. The mount is the GoPro handlebar mount... The overpriced metal version.

14. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    I thought I heard you breathing like Darth Vader ... and I can see why you was freaked out. XX-posure
    Nice job on the video

15. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    This was WW50 #3 for me too. Having torn my acl and then surgery last spring I had not been doing bigger rides til last month, so wasn't sure how this would go. But was feeling pretty strong on the bike lately so decided to give it a go.

I drove up Friday night after traffic cleared and found myself a campsite below Lone Pine Rd. Temps were nice even for the early morning wakeup call. Got to the start line a few mins before go time and said hello to a few people.

Without wasting any time we were off. As usual I was at the back. I actually passed a couple guys towards the top of the pavement. Then a couple other guys dropping back down just as I hit the dirt. I HAB'd more on Acorn this year but was still making good time.

IMG_20181020_073201.jpg

IMG_20181020_073207.jpg

Getting up early makes the sunrise and views from the trail worthwhile

IMG_20181020_073700.jpg

I got to the top of acorn right at 8am. Stopped for a quick snack just as these guys got to the top. One had got a sidewall tear at start of Acorn so they went back to change tires. And still caught me right at the top.

IMG_20181020_080503.jpg

My calves were burning on the HAB up acorn and legs felt pretty dead overall on the road pedal to Blue Ridge. Felt better descending again though there were plenty of hikers by the time I got there, so held back the speed some. The legs woke up by the time I got to Logjammer though my knee was starting to hurt.

Some footage from Blue Ridge and Logjammer: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/494728/

Always take time to pick up balloons when I see them...

IMG_20181020_095147.jpg

A bit of footage from Leprechaun and Manzanita: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/494749/

Felt pretty good the rest of the day with just some persistent knee pain. Thankfully it never got worse. @Sidewalk and Carl passed me a few mins before the turnoff to Fenner.

Had a beer and my sandwich at the cooler. Albert and Jason who had been behind me caught up there, and a few other riders came through the other way while we were stopped. Got to Vincent Gap just after noon and headed straight into Manzanita. I thought it was in the best shape I've ever seen it aside from one of the scree field crossings. Though who ever is maintaining it likes to put a curious trench on the upper side of the tread.

Some more from Manzanita and onto Boy Scout: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/494727/

IMG_20181020_125840.jpg

It was just after 1pm when I hit the pavement. The climb wasn't bad. A bit of tailwind at first then a bit of headwind just before the prison. Did some HAB up the fire road.

IMG_20181020_145301.jpg

3pm back at Vincent Gap.

IMG_20181020_150634.jpg

I was doing mental gymnastics whether I could finish the ride in 10hrs or not. Last year's time was 10:15 and while I didn't check my time splits I thought I was back at the cooler earlier this year. Seemed like I could make it, then a section would take longer and it would seem like I wouldn't. But I kept a steady pace. 40mins left when I got back to Big Pine and I was back to having doubts. Still had 4 segments left each of which I thought could take 10 mins or more - seemed to recall them each being longer than I'd expected in prior years. Took a bit over 10mins up to Table Mtn, then both the road traverse and singletrack were pretty quick. But only 6 mins left to drop the highway back into town. Maxxed out my gearing so just dropped saddle and crouched down. Watched the minutes tick away, aiming for 4:35pm. Turned the last corner just as the time clicked over to 4:36. So...10:01? We'll see when the results are up I guess...

Whatever it is I was pretty stoked on the ride. My last ride >50mi was back in March the day before I tore the ACL. Felt pretty good all day and cut another 15min or so off my time. Looking at stats my moving time was 20min less but ~5min more stopped time. Great way to spend a day!

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Love these RRs and pics coming in, thanks, guys!

17. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Looks like Kevin Hopkins in the 4th photo in the SCV jersey. Fast MoFo, wondered why he was slightly lagging.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

He was the tire failure.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Found this guy guarding the goodies when I finally made it back to the top.

You can tell that a ride is really coming into its own when they have to double the level of support on the course from year to year. A red cooler and a bucket! :D :thumbsup:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 11.39.47 AM.jpg

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    That whole ride looks like loads o' fun. :thumbsup:

Except Manzanita. :eek: Big barrel of nope right there.

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Manzanita is awesome! Definitely going to do this next year.

Faust29, HBkites, hill^billy and 8 others like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Manzanita was the crown jewel for me the last two years... Absolutely incredible trail. Not so much with how fried I was this time around. I should have stayed and guarded the beer in the cooler, while the others did the loop. :D

And... with how slow I was going this time, I found the hidden car. Ten feet off the trail on the high side, and I completely missed it the last two times! Apparently it slid down several hundred feet from the highway quite a few years ago... :eek: o_O :confused:

23. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Exposure doesn't bother me like it used to, but that is freakin' ridiculous. I'd do it. At a walking pace. :thumbsup:

24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Nuthin' wrong with that.

25. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Great report. Loved the videos. I need to ride Manzanita some time.

26. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Nice work all, looks like a good route.

27. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Love the place! Especially in the fall! Nice job supper people!

28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    Not my favorite.

The trail by itself is fine. The climb back to the cooler (in 2017) was some of the most challenging things I have done ever.
    Every time I thought about doing it (this year), the memories of the hot paved road drain any motivation I was trying to build.
    I don't know why they are not making that loop optional (like CC and VQ). it will increase the number of participants for sure (that might be the answer).

I'm planning to do the WW50 next year........ I got lots of plans for 2019!

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

I look forward to descending Manzanita....but I don’t look forward to the climb back out. This year wasn’t as hot, so it didn’t seem as bad. Don’t get me wrong, it still sucks the life out of you. It’s just the price of admission.

30. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Manzanita really was the best part. I should go back on my big E bike with my camera and do a high speed run
    It is also a free event with no official anything. I am guessing he doesn't want it to get too big or it will attract bad attention.

But...could be wrong.