Wrightwood 50 - 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Oct 15, 2017.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Exactly.....you get 1/2 that elevation gain in the first 3 miles. :thumbsup:

After that.....it is a cake walk. :cool:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    If I go any slower I might as well take up hiking. :cautious:
    I am struggling with the slowing down part. During the 6er I went out what I felt was a slow pace ended up with my fastest lap of the day.
    Not sure how to fix this competitive aspect of my brain.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Treat it like we did on Saturday....we kept the group of 4 of us together....turned it into more of a social ride than a race.

Because other than bragging rights, we got the same thing that the 1st place rider got for doing the event. :thumbsup: And I definitely got my money's worth out of it. :D

5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Maybe ride w/ @Sidewalk ? The two of you might really compliment each other if you ride a similar pace. But I bet you have the fitness to pull it off, as long as you didn't blow up early on. Serious, good job on the 6er!

kioti and Faust29 like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am no where near his pace. Blow up would be eminent.

kioti, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I actually race for fun and the challenge. It forces me to train regularly and push myself. Winning or placing well is a bonus not my main objective.
    Someday I will figure out the formula to pace myself better. This last race was much better than past ones.

Mikie, kioti, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    We've got plenty of time to chat on it. But the elevation is deceiving. 1/4 of the climbing is so steep that you are forced to just spin an easy gear or HAB, another 1/4 is long and steep and also forces a low gear.

That's half the climbing done forced at a slow pace. Some of the other climbs are shorter and still force you slow, or you can go fast, or are so nice that it feels like you are flowing.

We could literally pair up until about the 33 mile mark and then separate. That is when I opened up my effort. Even if I was too fast too early, we've done enough trail miles together that I know you would do well on this course.

Faust29, Mikie, kioti and 2 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    You ANIMALS!
    I'm not sure this is in my parameter as well. I climbed one of their last brutal climbs at the beginning of one of my rides and it is horrid. Simply.... horrid. The Wall of Death and The OC Wall combined got nothing on this climb due to length.

10. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    This was year 2 doing the Wrightwood 50 for me. I'd been meaning to make a trip up to WW to ride, so it was a no-brainer to sign up when the 50 was posted.

Last year I was late and the pack took off just as I was pedalling toward Cinnamons. The only riders I saw all day were Carl B and the other race leader who lapped me just before turning onto Fenner, and another rider I passed before prison camp, who DNF'd. This year I made sure to show up on time. It was good to meet J, Faust, Amy and later Sharone.

I've been riding a lot more than I had last year, and felt pretty good on the climb up to Acorn passing 2 guys who I never saw again. I rode what I could up Acorn keeping a steady pace, and could hear team IMTB a turn or two ahead the whole way. Caught up to them at the top. Last year I had a lot of stopped time so my strategy this year was to have a quick snack at the top of each climb and try to keep moving. I was a few minutes behind the others leaving toward Blue Ridge, and caught them again at the fountain/restrooms at the bottom. After leaving a few mins behind again I caught up just after Grassy Hollow, and followed down the descent. That is where I'd last see them for the day.

I dropped off enough that I didn't catch them on Leprechaun or Manzanita, though hikers told me a few times they weren't far ahead. I was feeling pretty good for most of the ride. Leprechaun was fun as always and in better shape this year. I was feeling good up Boy Scout trail too. I had planned a longer break at Vincent gap to get some more substantial food down to fuel the climb back up. That was 15 mins. I was stoked to see Manzanita had been worked on and was in much better shape too, a lot of benching and brushing was done. Think I only got off the bike twice, one of which was some steps up out of a wash and another on a short steep loose uphill corner. Smooth sailing all the way down.

I thought a head wind riding out to the pavement would mean a tail wind toward the prison camp, but that was not the case. My legs started to drag and it was a lot warmer on the pavement. I had many short breaks in the shade but made pretty good time. The dirt climb wasn't as buggy as last year and I just kept a steady pace with short breaks. Back at Vincent Gap the worst was over, and I made quick time up to the cooler. I had joked earlier about shotgunning a beer. I didn't, but downed it in the time it took to eat a snack, and I was off.

No traffic on Boy Scout but a whole boy scout troop moments after it just before the unnamed trail. Legs were starting to drag on any steeper climb at this point but they finally got going again. Until I got to the pavement climb to Table Mtn, I had to stop for a moment every few hundred feet. No cramps, just tired legs. Things were good after that. The "flat" pavement after that was more uphill than I remembered but went by quickly, and had a good singletrack run down to the highway. Then just a few mins back to town. I was stoked to finish just before 5. Last year I finished just before pitch black and was happy to not have to turn lights on.

My time was 10:15, a full 1.5 hrs off last year's time. Next year gotta get it under 10. I may have to jump on this tailwind bandwagon to cut out more stop time!

I was interested to see where I made up the most time. It looks like I was a few minutes faster on almost all the ride segments, and made up big chunks of time on Acorn and Boy Scout. It's hard to reliably distinguish between stop time and moving time so I suspect the shorter breaks at top of Acorn and Manzanita make up a lot of that.

Burger and beer at the Yoddler was excellent as always.

Easy to tell who the racers are and who was riding social pace :D
    IMG_9714.JPG

Good morning from Acorn Trail

IMG_9715.JPG

Such an awesome place to be at that time of day, and perfect way to start to get you warmed up in cooler temps

IMG_9716.JPG

IMG_9717.JPG

Manzanita Trail. Had to stop to let some hikers past, no room to pass here! They said the IMTB crew was a mile ahead...

IMG_9720.JPG

I soaked my bandana and sleeves at the prison camp spigot, which kept me pretty cool til the top of Boy Scout at the cooler. Quick beverage and I was off... (this won't display vertical for me, but you get the idea!)

IMG_9721.JPG

That was it for me, for pics. I consciously tried to take fewer of them in addition to shorter rest breaks. Seemed to work out as intended!

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Basically do two laps of this (without conking your head)... https://www.strava.com/activities/1219704569

Faust29, Mikie, evdog and 2 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Pics are great @evdog , thanks for taking them (even sideways)! As I said above, this looks like such a great ride!!! I need to get past my 20 mile riding wall!!!

13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Turns out though, my day wasn't quite over. The downside to weekend trips when days start to get shorter is what do you do in the evening? Often I end up starting rides late and riding a couple+ hours in the dark. I wasn't going to ride more today, but figured I could go do some recon for a bikepacking route I've been working on. Connecting from Silverwood to Wrightwood has been a pain because of the railways, freeway, and undesirably long stretches of pavement between the two. There were a couple forest roads I wanted to check out for suitability, so I headed back toward Cleghorn exit. The first road was gated, no luck. The second was not so I started up it.

Not even a mile in I dropped down a short hill and came to a wash after a sharp turn. The exit was kinda steep but looked solid, and I aimed for the right side which was less steep. Turns out I didn't give it enough gas and spun out part way up. Backed up and gave it another shot but when wheels started to spin again and I gave it even more gas, the back end kicked over 2-3 feet. This put me off the compacted sand when I backed down, and I was quickly 2/3 axle depth in loose sand, and spinning hopelessly. Perfect, digging the truck out was exactly what I wanted to be going after a 50 miler :gag:

Looking around there quite a few flat rocks to lay down, but the problem is my truck was now at a completely wrong angle for getting out. With one rock as a base I jacked up the back wheel and dug out the sand. Then I laid a big rock under the wheel and followed by the rest, creating a solid path forward and turning back onto the solid patch of sand. This got me over to the left but it took a couple back and forths, moving the rock pathway each time, to get the truck angled to where I could back it out the way I came in. One final adjustment to the rock pathway and I gunned it out of the wash. Whew! Good times! Time to dig out was about 1.5 beers.

Ready to roll forward out of the deep sand

IMG_9725.JPG

After a couple back and forths the truck is now lined up to back out of the wash if all goes well

IMG_9727.JPG

Looks pretty innocuous, I certainly wasn't expecting any problems. This is only the 3rd time owning this truck I've wished it was a 4x4. Still probably not going to buy one of those, but it may be time to start packing a shovel and some planks for explorations like this. I called it a night at this point and found the closest flat spot off the road to camp.

IMG_9729.JPG

14. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    And since I'm posting pics, here's a few from yesterday's ride. Since one road was gated I figured I'd loop it with the death wash road from Cajon Pass.

Starting from McD's I HAB'd up a fire road to the east which would circle around and link up to Cleghorn Rd. Great views...

IMG_9731.JPG

I dropped down Cleghorn and under the freeway. Looks like this winters storms had some victims. Anyone need a jeep? All you gotta do is dig a bit of sand out of the engine compartment...

IMG_9733.JPG

And pretty much everything else...

IMG_9735.JPG

I navigated a maze of dirt roads before crossing the tracks and picking up the gated road. It climbed fairly steeply for tired legs but was all rideable, and brought great views.

IMG_9737.JPG

It stayed up on the ridgeline which was pretty cool once up top.

IMG_9738.JPG

Dropping down I discovered Lost Lake. Some locals were fishing, said this site was just re-opened a couple weeks ago. Prior to this winter it had been dry for many years. There was a short singletrack to it from the powerline road I'd been on.

IMG_9741.JPG

That's all you get as the other pics are all portrait orientation and I can't get them to display upright.... The fire road from Cleghorn to the Lake is a winner for the route. The other road became impassable a mile after the death wash with massive ruts and washouts. So it's just as well I didn't make it further the night before. I also looped back around and found a way to get through to the McD's from Cleghorn without crossing the freeway. This was an clutch find because the gas station there will be an important resupply, first one on the route since Big Bear.

MattB, DangerDirtyD, scan and 7 others like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Adventure riding!!!

evdog and Faust29 like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    @evdog - Always looking for adventure!

Your portrait orientation pictures display correctly on the iPhone. Sideways on the computer...

evdog and Mikie like this.
  17. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    You could consider a locker and high lift jack. Locker isn't cheap, but turns a 4x2 into about 90% of a 4x4. High lift jack helps get you out of bad spots.

evdog, Mikie, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  18. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Don't sell yourselves short @Mikie and @Cyclotourist, and anyone else. You can pull off a lot longer ride than you'd think possible if you pace yourself and keep up with hydration and food intake. Give the route a try sometime. Worst case just skip the Manzanita loop or Table Mtn if you're feeling beat.

Rockers would be nice and probably would have gotten me out of this as one wheel was still on hardpack. But my truck is closing in on 300k miles...too old to put that kind of money into.

A hi-lift jack would be wise. I have a feeling though I'd seldom bring it with me because you never expect to have an issue. This weekend was the first time I've really had the truck stuck, and first time I've used the a jack for anything besides changing a tire. The jack I have wouldn't work in all circumstances but worked fine this weekend. Something I'll think about more. Exercising good judgment in where I do or don't try to drive has been my best tool to date.

MattB, kioti, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    WHAT???? :eek: Blasphemy!

evdog, Sidewalk and Mikie like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Feexed it. Cuz I'm THAT kinda guy...:whistling:

herzalot, Cyclotourist and evdog like this.
  21. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Good call

evdog likes this.
  22. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks @Mikie! Can you tell me what I did wrong so they display upright next time?

Mikie likes this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Nothing you can do Brothah. It may only be the vertical or horizontal way you took the pic. I added a Forum Add-On that allows me to rotate pics if they are sideways or upside down.
    Your in the good Evan!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    This is on my radar, for sure! It looks like a really fun ride/race/event. I need to get my mileage and MPH up before thinking about it. When healthy, I can pretty much ride all day, I just do it really, really, really slowly.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    If you take a pic with an iPhone (not sure how this works on Android...), the home button needs to be at the bottom for portrait pics, and on the right for landscape. If you reverse that, and take a picture, it will self-correct on the phone and look correct on the screen. When it's exported, however, some software can't read the orientation data correctly from the photo and it gets turned around...

If you're using an Android, I got nothing... Haven't used one of those in a few years.

herzalot, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It sounds like there is enough interest for a group ride up there. We can then decide how much work is needed to be done for next year for those that have not yet been up there.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Nah..just sign up next year and go in blind. We will then follow you and let you do all the navigating. That’s the fun part of it. Even ding it last year, we still had a few missteps.

Sidewalk, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have ridden most everything up there just not all in one day. I think I could do 50 miles and 10K. Just want to make sure I can do it before I pay to do it.

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Shhhhhh........don't tell anyone, but it's free.

MattB, Sidewalk, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?