Wrightwood 50 - 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    IMTB was more than adequately represented out there... Around 19 riders signed up, and 5 of them post here. @Sidewalk - Nice to put a face to the screen name. Nice job out there today. You fast guys always amaze me. :thumbsup: @evdog - I've read enough of your reports the last couple years. It was nice to put a face to the name behind all those epic adventures. And rounding out the IMTB contingent was @mtnbikej , @HBkites , and Amy (honorary member- due to her 28 top 10 Strava Trophies yesterday :eek:).

They advertise the Wrightwood 50 as an ass kicker. It is. I know that it's at the very upper limit of my daily endurance, but it's too good of a ride to miss. 50 miles, over 10,000 feet, some of the best raw single tracks around, not another biker in site, and awesome views for miles. Turning it into a "group social" was awesome.

My first surprise of the day came on the drive into town... The car started beeping at me. Then I saw the snowflake icon in the dash. It was warning me that there might be ice on the roads. Mid 30s at 5:30... :eek: Thankfully we weren't cold long. Climbing Acorn Drive and then Acorn Trail for 2600 feet in 3.5 miles made us plenty warm.

The trails were a little softer and looser than last year, with some of the exposed sections a lot less than single track width. I dropped the front wheel off in a couple spots, but no unplanned dismounts. @mtnbikej, @HBkites, Amy and I stayed together for the day. Jason and I rode it last year, and knew the course. It's tricky to follow blind...

On a personal note, this one kicked my ass more than last year. A lot more pushing the bike uphill instead of riding it... @bigringrider101 should have been there. I cramped and walked the pavement section above the Leprechaun turnoff where we passed him last year. :oops: I might be able to blame some of it on the heavier bike (23 pounds versus 28 pounds) or harder gearing, but not all. The climbing legs were completely shot at about 9000 feet. Note to self for next time: Maybe take the much lighter Highball, or at least lighten up the Chameleon and switch to a spinnier cog.

Suffering the last 10 miles doesn't make the day less fun... It was still awesome. I'll do it again. :thumbsup:

And... With this list, @DangerDirtyD doesn't get to pick on our fire road jaunts for awhile! :whistling:
    • Blue Ridge Trail (2 miles of fast, switchbacky fun)
    • Logging Road Trail (A little fast gem that I completely forgot from last year)
    • Leprechaun Valley Trail (2 miles of raw, loose fun)
    • Boy Scout Trail (2.7 miles of fast and flowy!)
    • Fenner Trail (1 mile of fast and flowy with some very soft switchbacks- none of which I cleaned)
    • Manzanita Trail (6 miles of rough, loose exposure. This is the crown jewel.)
    • Unnamed Single Track (That we've almost missed two years in a row)
    • East Table Mountain Trail (A mile of fast luge-type descending)

Evoracer, scan, Cougar and 15 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Now you have your own "ghost of Bernie" ride. :laugh:

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    A few photos from yesterday...

Sharone headed up Boy Scout...
    IMG_1285.jpg

Manzanita fun!
    IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg

Our only support of the day. Beer, soda, and candy! And it was awesome.
    IMG_1320.jpg

Evoracer, H2oChick, scan and 18 others like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Good job!
    Great pics!
    Manzanita is looking good!

5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm glad you stopped for photos. I so badly wanted to, the scenery is so amazing. But, I was in race mode!

I just realized I was holding up the start for you. You entered the gas station as I left, Eric was going to start us but I told him there was one more rider coming. Weird way to put a face to a name!

kioti, herzalot, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Great job, all! This sounds like a fantastic ride. I'm stoked to see it continuing!

SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The missing rider at the start was Sharone... Mr. @HBkites on the titanium hardtail. We told Eric not to hold up the start, because we were in social mode. Eric seems like a really cool guy. He and his girlfriend (?) were there until the very end, and hung out with us stragglers.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Wrightwood 50 version 2.0

Had soooo much fun doing this ride last year, knew it was gonna have to go on the schedule this year. Wasn't looking too good when the sign ups didn't go live until about 2 weeks before the event. Eventually they did and the ride was a go.

Knew @Faust29 was in and talked our friend Amy into joining.

We got into Wrightwood on the early side and it was chilly.....mid/high 30's. We hung out in the car til the gas station opened up then popped in for the facilities. Got geared up and headed down to the start. The bakery smelled so good, I went in a bought a muffin.....I don't normally do this, but it tasted soooooooo good. I think there was a speech from Eric, but I was too focused on the chocolate chip muffin. Saw @Sidewalk circling around, and @evdog came up and introduced himself. @HBkites got there right in time.

Some will treat this as a race, others(like us....used it as a social ride). The 4 of us took off at the back of the pack, mostly because my Garmin was slow to load the route. We finally got going and it was even cooler. Garmin showed a low of 32*....brisk, but tolerable. The road climb up to Acorn Trail seemed longer and steeper than last year. Knowing what was at the top kept my pace in check better this year. Finally off the pavement and onto the dirt....even the approach to Acorn Trail seemed steeper. Passed the Acorn Trail sign and pedaled about 100 yards, then it was HAB for the next 2 miles/1500'. It's not a hard hike, but it just keeps going and going and going...........After 1:20 we made it to the top. Chatted with a Dutch fellow out hiking the entire PCT.

IMG_3099.jpg

Finally the ride can begin. Up and down along the Blue Ridge Truck Trail. I'll admit, I wasn't feeling very good at this point. My injured thumb was going from throbbing to numb to tingling along the way, not to mention my grip strength was limited. Toss into the mix that the glute muscle that had been tight on the right side at the Grizzly, mysteriously moved over to my left side....had me a little concerned. I didn't push the pace on any of the early climbs. I actually backed off a bit hoping to save some legs for later in the ride.

In short time we reached Blue Ridge Trail....yay, the first ST DH for the day. It was a bit softer and looser than last year, but still a lot of fun. Lots of hiking traffic today on the way down. Quick water refill at the bottom then the climb back up to Blue Ridge Truck Trail via Mt. High. Again, just backed off the pace a little here and before we knew it we had reached the top. At this point we started getting the smell of fire/smoke. Looking up the canyon you could see the smoke....something was burning.

Another drop back down to Hwy 2....this was where we would have the biggest navigational error of the day. @HBkites got out in front on the Hwy section and started to pull away on a descent....problem was we needed to turn up into the campground. We stopped, he kept going. Several minutes later he came pedaling back up. Water stop in the campground and we again headed off. Down an old logging road we eventually popped out on Big Pines Hwy....up a short ways and over to drop onto Leprichaun Valley Trail. Fast, flowy, some chunky spots, wooded, soft.....good stuff. Of course with every down there is an up....and up we had to climb at the end of Leprichaun. Again I backed off and just cruised up the fireroad.

Another short section of Big Pines Hwy and another water stop at Mt Oak Campground. Across the Hwy we would begin the climb up to Boy Scout Trail. This was the section to get lost on last year. This year we knew where we were going....no problems. Boys Scout is a great climb....not steep, just narrow. A ways up we got the drop down Fenner Trail. Fenner is funner. Fast and loose. Again at the bottom meant a climb. A couple miles up the fire road we finally reached the unoffical aid station.......the red ice chest. We stopped to check the contents.....M&M's, KitKats, Peanut Butter Cups, Cokes and PBR's. 2nd Place rider came back up from the Manzanita Loop while we were there....he warned us that even though it had been nice and chilly all morning that the canyon was warming up.

We headed down for the 12 mile loop. The top of Manzanita was well brushed this time....last year it was some bush whacking. The trail this year was also quite a bit looser....no problem, just made it more fun. 6 miles of DH....who could argue with that. We reached the bottom at South Fork Campground and there was quite a breeze blowing. Sweet, we are gonna have a tailwind blowing us back up Big Rock Creek Rd to the red ice chest. About 1.5 miles up the road, the tailwind immediately turned 180* into a head wind. Amy pulled away out front, Steve stopped for a breather, Sharone fell off the back and I just put my head down and pedaled. We reached the "prison camp baseball field" at the end of the road a short time later. Filled our bottles from spigots that probably haven't been touched since WW50 last year. Sharone was hurtin' pretty good about this point. However we still had the worst climb still to come. Up 4n11 to 3n26 we would gain 1700' in 3 miles. I was able to ride about the first mile, but eventually gave in and had to walk the mile up to 3n26. I think Amy was the only one to clean it all.
    IMG_3100.jpg IMG_3104.jpg IMG_3102.jpg

I got back on and pedaled up 3n26 back to the ice chest/aid station. I don't drink sodas anymore, but I had a Coke.....it was tasty, it was cold. Everyone made it back up to the ice chest. Some were feeling better than others, but the good news was we were only 12 miles from the finish. Bad news was we still had another 1600' or so of climbing.

Fast, flowy and fun run down Boy Scout Trail....had the trail to ourselves. Pushed through the bottom of Jackson Lake. A few punch ups and downs. Then back out on Big Pines Hwy again for a bit. Last year around this time I was feeling my legs. The punchy little climbs were taking their toll. This year, I was feeling better the farther we went.

At the Appletree Campground we were once again back into the dirt. A steady climb followed by a short steep HAB at the end.....we didn't tell Sharone about this one til he got to it. We retraced a bit of trail we had ridden earlier in the morning before dumping us out on Big Pines Hwy near Leprichaun Valley Trail. This time we would continue on the highway up to Mountain High. Steve and Sharone weren't feeling to spunky at this point. Steve was fighting off the Ghost of Bernie Cramps, and I think Sharone was just cramping no matter what he did.

We reached the fork in the road to Table Mountain. There was earlier discussion that Sharone may just head straight back to the finish from here and skip the Table Mountain Climb. However at the turn off, he dug deep and pushed on. It was only about a 9 minuted climb on the road. I was feeling really good now. Maybe I was on a caffeine high from the Coke.....I dunno. We had now reached the top of the ride....no climbing left. A flat spin on a forest access road before we dropped down the East Table Mtn Trail. Fast, loose and flowing Luge style trail. A couple of hikers towards the bottom, but not a problem. From there it was a 2 mile fast coast down Big Pines Hwy to the finish.

Grabbed some lunch at the Yoeddler, chatted with Eric the organizer, as well as @evdog .

Overall great day on the bike. I felt as though I got stronger as the day wore on. I know there was still plenty of gas in the tank at the end. Didn't seem nearly as tough as last year....maybe it was knowing the ride this year....maybe it was taking it slower it at the start...maybe it was the Coke.

I know I only did 6 scoops of Tailwind all day....but I also started the ride with a fresh muffin in my belly.

I'll be back again next year.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    In addition.....we rode our bike for over 9 hrs.....for 50 miles, and the only other riders we saw were part of our ride. Otherwise we saw no other bikes the whole day....spectacular. :thumbsup:

10. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    I would've done this but I had to work. Correction I chose to work.
    Good job peeps. Should see y'all next year.

11. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Nice report, that ride puts together a hole lot of good! Did anyone miss the mass crowds of all kinds of users? And it's more known now than ever, still no conflict, just a perfect day in the saddle for you's.

12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    You got to love that last pic........ I'm not skinny, but the 120oz of hidation and the back pocket full of cold weather gear make me look FAT!
    Next ride no side shots.

Cyclotourist, MattB, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Yah I was thinking that guy sure is fat for a ride like that. :Roflmao

14. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My perspective:

Acorn climb is beautiful, and hard. Real hard. I am over geared for endurance racing (really need to get another ring) and that was a struggle to get up and not blow up. I could hammer it if I had to, but then my legs would be wasted the rest of the event. So I literally pedaled as slow as I could with my lowest gear (I normally try to avoid using it too), I still hit my max HR of the day on that climb! At the top I accidentally turned onto the PCT instead of the fireroad, losing like 30 seconds and feeling upset with myself for the time lost correcting onto the right route, little did I know...

I got passed by a rider climbing up the fireroad, who I then passed back going down the fireroad to Mt High. Felt like backwards world, he was on a FS bike with dropper and extra supplies passing me uphill, while I'm on a HT with a single bottle. rigid post, etc. I just laughed inside about it. We both got to the top of the ski lifts and couldn't find the singletrack entrance. He went one way, I went another and found it. I yelled back to him and he followed me down. We passed a rider with his bike off the trail and for a moment I thought maybe he had wrecked! I was nearly at a complete stop surveying the situation to see what I could do when I realized he was fixing a flat, he ended up ending the race there with a slashed tire. Coincidentally my rear tire started feeling squirmy on the way down, made me nervous. The backwards land guy followed me down the whole way, even after I offered to let him by. I pulled out my CO2 at the bottom and aired up, I hope I brought enough CO2...

Refilled at the sink in the restrooms there and started climbing up Mt High following the same rider. I stopped at the next spigot, spent a few minutes looking for it, and didn't see that rider again until the Yodeler. He says he made a wrong turn at some point and came up short about a mile and disqualified himself. Bummer, but integrity!

Spent a few minutes looking for The Logging Road trail entrance. It was obvious, but my GPS made it look like I was going the wrong way. Poorly named trail, that was fun singletrack!

Leprechaun was the only trail I have ridden before, exactly once. Yep, still fun!

Spent several minutes looking for water and the trail to get up Boy Scout. Beautiful climb though once I found it!

Got lost trying to find the entrance to Manzanita. I circled around a few times and even started going down the fireroad, having to climb back up again! Lucky for me a random beautiful woman popped out of a car and asked "Are you in the Wrightwood 50?" She then told me where the entrance was. I could have married her on the spot, love at first site, but I was in race mode :(

Manzanita was worth the whole day. Wow. The climb out SUCKS, but I'll do that climb any day to do Manzanita again. So worth it!

My plan was to hammer the pedals hard after Manzanita to burn all the energy I was trying to save at the beginning of the race. The thoughts going through my brain on that climb were not pleasant. I am a very negative thinker, backwards I know, but I basically hate failure and internally bashing myself makes me faster. And I'll tell you what, not being back to catch up with backwards world guy down Manzanita, and then not seeing him on the climb when I was going all out really put some negative thoughts in my head. Of course at the time, I didn't know he went the wrong way somewhere...

FYI, the fastest time up that fireroad is by a girl...

I misread my GPS and went right by the entrance to Boy Scout and kept climbing the fireroad. Another 10 minutes lost at least. And that doesn't include turning left at the cooler, but a rider was there and yelled to check my directions. He probably saved me 5 minutes of climbing.

Flying down Boy Scout...do I need to say it? Beautiful! Made a wrong turn here or there getting to the lake, of course.

I started going UP the logging trail, instead of around towards the road. Yes, more extra climbing.

Barely missed the Kare Camp singletrack. Only a few seconds that time at least :)

And to add insult to injury, missed the road to the Yodeler and went an extra block around. But I made it! I missed my goal...by a lot. But ALL of it was my fault. The event was exactly as advertised and I'm really looking forward to putting in a solid effort next year. If you take into account the time lost from being lost, it would have been a close event for me. I don't feel bad about all the mistakes. It was a learning experience, I got to find a lot of fun trails. I felt like my efforts were legit, even if I was disappointed in my descending time down Leprechaun. All in all I added about 4 miles and probably 500 or more feet (doesn't show on Strava though, weirdly enough).

I had a really good burger (pretty sure it would have been good without 10,000' of climbing!) and chatted with Eric and the backwards world rider which is when I learned he made a mistake somewhere. Got to pet some puppies, the group next to us had a pitbull and I am a sucker for little pibble girls! Got a little chuckle out of the fact that the guy who finished first had to rush back to San Diego to get a washer/dryer delivery...that never came!

Next year I'll be prepared. Might bring my trail bike that I'm planning to build for endurance rides, and see if I can't shave off that 40 minutes!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1230508856

Seriously, 9 hours is more work than going fast!

Evoracer, H2oChick, scan and 13 others like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I had a hectic start. I got to bed late and barely made it on time. My pump decided it didn't want to air up my front tire this morning, never even put the gauge on the rear to check just guessed it was good on feel. Didn't check my fork, hoped it was still fine. And my body decided I needed to use the restroom one more time. I ended up borrowing a pump from the guy who ended up finishing nexy behind me...on an SS!

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Ride time was 7:30.....but we stayed together as a group of 4. We were also in no rush. Just out enjoying the trails.

We were also 7 mins. moving time faster this year, but 30 mins slower overall.

The HAB up Acorn also added a ton of time.

bvader, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  17. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I was going to contribute, but my fingertips are too numb.....

It was a long day. Left the house around 5 am. Finally returned after 7 pm.
    The ride itself was too long (I should have turned around the first time we got to the cooler).
    I felt like I was the weak link of the group all day.
    The first 3 hours (20 miles) where awesome.
    The Manzanita loop was unnecessary.
    Next time I’ll try the WW35.

scan, Cyclotourist, bvader and 8 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I know it's not the route but I have heard climbing up Manzanita is actually easier than the paved and fire road climb. It is definitely a fun descent. Need to get back up to that area.

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Interesting....but it did seem awfully loose and sandy....might not be too doable "at this time" at least. :cautious:

bvader, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

You did fine....for someone who hasn't been doing long'er rides with that kind of elevation gains. When cramps happen, sometimes they slow ya down. You hung in there and completed the route as intended.

The climb back up from the bottom of Manzanita is a morale killer. We were there walking with ya. Chalk it up to us knowing the route and what to expect. We were in your shoes last year.

bvader, Cyclotourist, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  21. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Seriously, Acorn, the road up from Manzanita, and the fireroad up from Manzanita are no joke. People in the Temecula race complain about having to do Dam Climb, and all those climbs are FAR harder than Dam Climb!

bvader, Cyclotourist, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Results:

2017 Results
    Guy Sutton 5:34
    Scott Amundson 6:08
    Joshua Tootell 6:24
    Max Leonov 7:11
    Alexei Desatoff 7:34
    Dean Lihou 7:37
    Marlon Olivares 7:38
    Richard O'Bryan 7:45
    Jeff MacLean 7:49
    Jason Martin 9:52
    Steve Macko 9:52
    Amy Travis 9:52
    Sharone Levy 9:52
    Evan S 10:15
    Jason Roach 7:50 - Route Deviation
    Eric Brunt 5:27 - Route Deviation
    Albert Anthony DNF - Broken Frame
    Carl Bauer DNF - Cut Tire
    Dan Lenberg DNS
    Patrick DNS

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Sidewalk and 5 others like this.
  23. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I appreciate your kind words.

If it was up to me, I would create a “Wrightwood 40” (like VQ and CC), and give participants an option to choose.
    I would have a more enjoyable experience riding 38 miles (8000 ft climbing).

kioti, Faust29, bvader and 2 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Thanks for the write ups, all y'all. The more I read, the more this sounds like such a great production. Love seeing the 9:52 shared times... riding w/ your peeps is what it's all about for me!
    And good job with that third place finish, @Sidewalk ! Very impressive!

25. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Many of us do these kinds of rides fairly often. Get in all the quality ST in 1 ride. FUN and a good workout!!

26. Sidewalk

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Thanks. I'm going to try and drag some of my friends out for next year. I know @LLPoolJ would like this race, more than he realizes, and I bet my friends Dean and Dan would too (one super fast, one loves to climb).

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    50 miles at 184+ ft / mile... Just like riding Harding three times in a row :eek: That is, of course, if the start of Harding was located about 4000 feet higher elevation :)

Love the area - I have camped back there and my daughter and I drove the Crest Highway about a month ago. I got tired driving it and had to take a nap afterwards :)

28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yes, good call on that... he would be great out there! I dare say you could almost get @Mikie talked into this one as well!

Mikie, Sidewalk and mtnbikej like this.
  29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Hmmm, 10g' is not in my wheelhouse. If I can find time to train for that I would definitely be interested.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

It is if you slow down.