Wobbly Tire - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by bvader, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:18 PM.

1. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Friend notices this while riding.

So this is on a perfectly true rim...really! My carbon 30mm ID We Are One wheels.

I have deflated, deseated the bead , reseated the bead and reinflated.

Bead looks even all the way around.

Maxxis aggressor fairly new.

This is one of the wobbly sections both sides.

I don't remember it being this way when I first put it on but I have done some serious banging down TNA and serious banging down stair steps. I don't see any obvious damage curious for the real wrenches out there... Your opinions?.

IMG_20181109_160751.jpg

IMG_20181109_160738.jpg

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I thought only Continental tires did that. :unsure:

Pose question to retail source? That's what I'd do. Explain how this will impact your ability to hit 50-plus on the straights. Be convincing. I smell new rubber coming... :geek:

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I had the same thing on a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 DC. I decided the DC stood for Deformed Carcass. The tire was simply made incorrectly. Take it back.

4. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have seen this before on several different brands. I was told that it is due to a separation of the different layers used in the construction of the tire. This can allow the tread to wander over the carcass of the tire creating the situation you have.
    Take it back to the LBS where you got it. Do not mention the words "serious banging ". You may get some warranty love.
    Got it online? Good luck.

5. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Amazing new tire is completely straight. Thanks guys. Basically just too old and too precious to risk a blowout / disintegration at the wrong time.

First real issue I've ever really had with A maxxis.

new tire was difficult to put on but at least I did it the right way first time after everybody schooled me on labels on the drive side.

Yeah bought it online but I'm pretty sure I own this one... I'll save my retail karma for when I need it.

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

As the others have said, it's a bum tire... I had an Ikon once that did the same thing. Maxxis did not honor mine, but I remember Dean at the Path saying I had a 50/50 shot. In the olden days, you would see this with car tires, also...

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, mike and 3 others like this.
  7. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    So why you're on this which kind of tubeless pump do you guys like.

Non powered...

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I have that going on to a much lesser extent with a Specialized Purgatory. I too have seen this with several brands. Bad casing. Return to the retailer for a warranty exchange.

10. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Finally got a compressor but this worked/still works for me...
    2017-09-13 19.53.05.jpg

Pump up to 100 psi and watch your tire inflate in 0.20 seconds... :whistling:

11. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    I have the Bonty one. A sweet tool for seating tubeless. An okay everyday floor pump with a notably inaccurate gauge. I give it credit for sharpening my squeeze testing accuracy. Raul at the Path said the same thing. He uses one and also a separate real gauge. The head on it has been easy and perfect, best of any I've owned. The keeper for the head is hopeless but easily rectified.

That style of reservoir pump is what I'd get. Not sure if the Lezyne is better. Their Floor Drive pump was not impressive, died before its time.

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

The inner casing may have separated from the outer shell...this usually happens with low pressure, but you have to really twist the tire.

If it is low miles...contact Maxxis, I understand they are pretty good about this.

bvader, Danmtchl and rossage like this.
  13. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Purchased a new DHF. The bead was in check but it wobbled like crazy. Took it back for exchange no problem. 2nd DHF has been straight for almost two years now. Not sure if it was really a bad tire or if I overstretched it going on the rim. Have to be careful the tire is completely deep in the center of the rim while installing or removing. Over torquing the tire levers could stretch the bead me thinks.

mtnbikej, Fueledbyex8 and bvader like this.