Wildlife encounters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Aug 15, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Peacocks yelling in Black Star, bighorn thumping on Baldy, black bear sniffing at midnight, an insolent deer chewing my T-shirt, a mountain lion disappearing on MW, a lion pup sitting amongst cacti, a slow skunk on Borrego, a snarling fox on the Santiago, owls hooting on Concourse, bats swooping, burros chilling, coyotes tricking, vultures circling, hawks perching, antelope blending, ground hogs digging; a rattler hunting mice in the root cellar.

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    ...and a partridge in a pear tree....:whistling:

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sure they are...

536465_21065_L.jpg

536473_24933_L.jpg

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    yep, but not for the squirrel.

5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Marmot looked cute chomping on my right hiking boot.. had to chase it down.. needed it for hike back out.. still 2 days out..

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Enjoyed reading this thread.
    Most here in So Cal don't know there are bighorn sheep behind Cucamonga peak near Baldy. had a couple nice encounters with them back when I was a teenager spending most of my time backpacking and hiking all over that area.

Most of my wildlife encounters have been when riding alone in the earlier part of the day. I'm quiet and they are out!
    Saw a Cougar in O'neil park. Biking I went onto a side singletrack and just around the corner there it was. Looked at me and walked away. I was checking it out, then turned around and rode out. I didn't have the least bit of fear, was more elated to have seen on close.

Used to ride down a hill in O'neill couple times a week and a Roadrunner would jump out and race me down. This happened dozens of times and i knew coming up to that spot I'd have a race on my hands.

Bobcats galore! Love seeing Bobcats. Had one jump right in front of me with a rabbit in it's mouth. Pretty cool, but of course not for the rabbit... ;)

Multiple snakes, a lizard about a foot+ long. Never seen a lizard like that before or since. Probably a pet that got away.
    A big turtle, Deer, horned lizards, Marmot, eagle and all kind of the usual critters.

O'neil park, 4-12-08 002.jpg

7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Looks like my daughters tortoise...
    U know when a tortoise passes u on west fork ..its time to call it a day..

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Waitin for my daughter to finish tennis...so...
    Ever see a skunks little fingers open up ur brothers back pack that he is using it as a pillow...still sleeping.. dont move brother..why? Bc there a skunk next to ur head.. just dont move! I had just woken up ..sleeping next to him out in the open .. sleeping bag.. when i heard.felt something go over my bag..the skunk was now 2 feet from my right unmoving eyeball.. one inch from my bros head..
    The skunk unzipped the outer pocket ... took a plastic bottle of cooking oil.. and looked at me...
    What u gonna do about it punk!
    Waddled away about 15 yards and slurped the oil..
    No one got sprayed..

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Where did you see that terrapin (turtle)?

mike, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I saw a couple of bunny wabbits today while rolling through the Santa Monicas.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    It was on the trail outside of Oneill park in OC. Moved it off the trail and it was not happy about it.
    That was about 2007.

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Holy jackrabbit fest, they were darting everywhere this morning. Even a cottontail for good measure. They must be breeding like rabbits...I'm sure the raptor, coyote and bobcat population is healthy.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Oh yeah.....totally forgot about that.

Desert tortoises' on Zen Trail in St. George:

Zen5.JPG

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Okay, I guess @UPSed is not going to chime in.
    Ride Report: https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/cherry-creek-epic-frazier-park.1463/#post-5399

I promised to take UPSed and his then fiancé @MrsUPSed on an adventure ride in my neck of the woods.
    Turned out we came across a desert tortoise that was way out of place up in the mountains and then we came across bears, lots of bears. In fact, they were dropping out of trees in front, behind and between us. I had never encountered bears in such a way, so it was somewhat intimidating me. Especially since I thought I was going to be responsible for my friends getting ate.
    Turned out to be a great day, but wow! What an adventure!

15. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    I saw a mama bear and two cubs on pineknot trail in Big Bear probably 4 years back. Almost Tboned a big black bear that was attempting a high speed trail crossing in Whistler on Blue Velvet last week.

16. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Was there water nearby? That's basically a type of water turtle.

17. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    There is a small creak a ways away, it drys out for summer though.

18. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    I'm not a big writer but here goes my wildlife encounters. Ride two weekly evening rides with one being a Lonewolf one (I know Lonewolf at night- wife tracks me with Glimpse). Have seen my share of sunset red rattlers which are hard to see while the sun is in your face. Plenty of quail, hawks, owls, squirrels, skunks, raccoons, deer, and all sort of the creepy crawlers. All this within a mile from home. The best encounter has to be the attacks by two owls at different time with one actually landing on my clipped in shoe. Scarred the b-j out of me. No pictures hauled the mail out of that area. A frighten deer darted across the trail missing me by a yard during a cold Dec evening (grandmam got ranover by a rain deer came to mind). Forgot the coyote pups playing on the trail no stopping for pic mother might be near. Here's is the once in a life time pic of a quail sleeping. 20170131_202003.jpg

19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Interesting. It's an invasive species, the Common Snapping Turtle. Somebody likely released their pet when it got too big for them to manage.

20. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I have an ongoing game I play where I chase lizards. I try to stay on their tail and make them run straight ahead as long as possible. My record is probably around 20 yards.

21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    C
    Cool story.

22. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    We came across a Cheetah in San Clemente. I didn’t realize that they were indigenous to Southern California. :)

478D8838-78C6-4391-A5AA-5C8695AF6C4C.jpeg

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Agreed! Very cool story! Thanks Juan!

24. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Thx guys. Did I tell you about the cougar I encounter in Ketchikan, Ak. back in the sailing days? Oh wrong site..

25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    That cheetah was much healthier when I saw it a couple years ago. Looks like it's has a rough time...

26. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Is that in CO, @mike? Staying at a friend's place near 50 Yr in Tucson we were told to park under a light and leave our hood open to discourage pack rats from getting into the engine compartment and chewing wires. I can't imagine a tarp would keep any determined critter away.

I've had a few cool wildlife sightings riding. Had a bear drop out of a tree right next to me at Sun Peaks one year - scared the crap out of me. Had a mountain lion run across the road in front of us on Mingus Mtn while bikepacking. On the AZT near Kelvin I came across a whole herd of javalinas that scattered in all directions. I was shocked how fast those things could bolt straight uphill including huge vertical leaps up and over rocks. I still have never seen a gila monster, which is something I really want to see. Need a reason to keep going back to AZ I guess...

A few other memorable ones I did get shots of:

From summit of Ben Lomond near Ogden. Was resting at the summit, heard a noise behind me and turned around to see this guy hanging out. The rest of the herd was in a meadow below.
    DSC06639e.jpg

Moose probably scare me more than bears, they can be ornery, unpredictable and territorial. We had to wait for this one to move away from the trail. Jackson Hole
    DSC03652.jpg

Then a creature I'd never heard of before on Mt Lemmon last fall. Riding along there was an explosion of fur flying in all directions. Couldn't even see what they were, til I found another one further down the trail that didn't hear me approaching. Coatimundi
    DSC01777.JPG

And these guys near the top of White Mountain
    DSC04358_zps85399e99.jpg

And probably the coolest sighting ever for me. This wasn't on a ride, but was on the drive back from a ride going through Yellowstone. Wolves taking nips at an injured bison. Still too strong for them to go for the kill, but letting him know they were waiting.
    DSC00278_zps8d1e7672.jpg

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I once saw a bird...

"I'm a Hufflepuff!"

28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Incredible pics!

29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Really nice pics!

Sasquatch9billion, evdog and mtnbikej like this.
  30. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

I bet you wish it did.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?