Wildlife encounters

I really don't want to offend the neighbors, but they have an ugly dog.
Bring out the camera and he really hams it up...

20231229_100542.jpg

Heard some sad news about our local OC Mtn lion celebrity Uno. She got hit by a car last night around 5:30 on Santiago Cyn Rd right by Cooks Corner and had to be euthanized… Two cubs from her recent litters were also killed by cars.
That's sad to hear.
I think I caught a glimpse of Uno about a year ago, loading up the bikes after a night ride, I heard a noise on the hill above us along Santiago Canyon near Modjeska Grade. I shined my light around and saw one glowing eye staring down at me.

Just checked a map to see where Coarsegold is located. Nice! How are the mtb trails?

Some of the best I have been on.
Bass Lake area, Shaver Lake area, San Joaquin River Gorge ( eventually from Fresno to Mammouth Mountain). China Peak during the Summer bike season.
There are probably 80-90 trails within an hour drive from my house.
Whatever your flavor of riding, it's up here.

There are a couple of non-ebike trails other than that, it's wide open.

Where is @SnakeCharmer?
@herzalot haven't you mentioned this method before?
Yup. Stomping my feet on the trail has never not worked for clearing a rattlesnake calmly into the bushes. I've probably cleared over a dozen that way. Most recently though, I just had to bunny hop the dude as he was halfway across a singletrack trail and I was descending pretty quickly.

There was a fatal flaw in his experiment - the snake he was trying to move was sleeping in a protected area and not stretched out across a fireroad, fully exposed. The snakes I have cleared have been stretched out across the road - sunning, but vulnerable. Mr. Snake knows he's fully exposed and would prefer not to be if something or someone is coming along.

Last edited:
Back