Why should I get it?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by HBkites, Mar 14, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Let me be the first to welcome our new bicycle corporation overlords!

2. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    Just a thought, when I see things on sale, I have trained myself to think that spending zero still less than (insert sale price here).

I always compare every purchase to zero because in a lot of instances, I don't need to buy anything. Here you go... $5,400 plus tax saved. Haha

In the past, I've purchased a couple of bikes on a whim as well. I convinced myself I needed them for whatever reason. The truth is I just enjoy riding bikes, whether it's on dirt, the road, or with my family. For me, I really only desire one bike for mtb, one for the road stuff, now, my cargo bike to haul the kids.

mike, Danmtchl, Sidewalk and 7 others like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Now I'm concerned I may need to get rid of my "Huffy" and get a real MTB. :(

Luis, Old&InTheWay, mike and 10 others like this.
  4. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    HKites. Orange grows on you trust me:sneaky:. And if changing the grips on your old bike seems like a hassle then go get the new bike. You can't ride often?? Well put it in the living room (if you're not whipped) so you can stare at it every day. You might be eating fruit-loops and look at it and think "ya know" I could be riding that pos ! Priorities are very important.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Unless there's some inside joke I'm missing or you're a Niner fanboy, my opinion is there are too many other options nowadays...like the aforementioned YT, Intense and now Canyon bikes at great deals. I've always been a huge Santa Cruz fan but I didn't even look at them when I wanted a new bike because the deals at Intense and YT were so good. I missed out on the new Capra so bought a new Tracer that originally MSRP'd for $10K for $5500.

6. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I've test ridden a lot of Niners and I can't say that I like many (if any of them) all that much. I'm not saying other people don't by any means... but I would test ride many many other bikes before I locked myself into a niner. Their geometry misses the mark for me (especially seat tube angles) and they just don't ride with the character that I feel other mfg's frames have.

In addition, you can always find a niner on sale, and from talking to industry insiders, the sale prices you find are about 10% less then said bike shop paid for them (at cost) about 6 months ago. Long story short? Never rush to get a good deal on a niner... other brands? Sure... but a good deal on a niner is like a good deal on swamp land in florida.

7. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    The only Niner I'd buy.

bi190a03-blue~green.jpg

UPSed, littlewave, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    bikes are beautiful...

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    My pivot is getting thrashed... its only 3 years old and still great but it got one scratch on it... time to start looking ...

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Voodoo Tom likes this.
  11. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    Surprised by all the Niner comments. I may or may not have an option to purchase a brand new 2018 Niner RIP 29er for 50% off retail, and I am seriously considering it because I want to have a second bike that I can use on some epic trips that would offer more travel than my XC Anthem bike. It wouldn't be my daily driver, but it sure would be nice to have something more than 100mm up front and 110mm in the rear for places like Mammoth, Cannell Plunge, Moab, Oregon, etc that I would like to start hitting now that I'm going to have more time to ride. I figured for 50% off retail, I would be happy with the 3 Star build for a nice trail bike that is brand new. I was looking at the YT before I was offered the deal on the RIP. Looking at the new RIP 3 Star build, it is nicely equipped for the price I can (or cannot) secure. Heck, the front shock is nearly $1000 retail.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Do it, sounds like a deal too good to pass up! If you get a deal.

Fijirob and HBkites like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Everyone's a comedian. I have at least 4k miles on my 17 Jet 9 RDO and have not had a single issue with it. It's not ridden lightly either. If I was in the market I would jump/be all over that RIP!

14. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Ed to say you haven't ridden your Niner hard is an understatement lol!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?