Why Not....Counting Coup w/ Friends

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Feb 26, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    So last week @Faust29 posted up the Saturday ride:

Blackstar-Motorway-Maple Springs-Peak-Holy Jim....basically Counting coup. Sure why not. It is Counting Coup....it's not that hard. The big caveat was we parked up just below Maple Springs gate, and we rode back around from Holy Jim. What?? You though we were gonna shuttle this? o_O:eek:

So Steve and I met up at 6:50 or so....and it was cold....really cold....like 28* cold. Bundled up like eskimos we headed down Silverado to meet the others at the Tree Farm. Even with 2 pairs of socks on my feet were frozen. We were in the shade all the way out of the canyon. By the time we got to the Tree Farm, the sun was out. Whether it was actually warmer or not...mentally it was warmer.

We met up with @HBkites, Amy, Hugh, and Kam for a 7:20 roll time. We rolled a little late because someone wasn't on time. No problem we had all day. When Amy arrived, she asked why we were starting so early....why didn't we start at 9:00 or so. This is what we do.

Down Blackstar Cyn Rd and it was again pretty damn cold. As usual the pace starts out kinda quick. We had 4 SS's and 2 geared bikes. Hugh and Kam were not planning to do the whole ride with us, and Sharone was only planning to do the ride up to 4 Corners before turning back.

The ride up Blackstar was pretty uneventful. Not hammerhead, but not slow. My legs were not happy. It usually takes most of the way up Blackstar for me to warm up. Ditched the vest and arm warmers before the first cattle gate, and finally got feeling back in my toes. We dropped into Hidden Ranch, frost all over the place. Hugh and Kam took off as they were just gonna do a short ride. We made it up to Beeks' in no time. Turned the corner and Hugh and Kam were hanging out. They decided to join us to the Motorway.

I struggled up to the Doplar Ball....and the climb up to Hagador seemed longer than usual. Once past Hagador, my legs were still not warmed up, and I was feeling like crap. We pushed on past Pleasant's Peak. We did a pretty good job of kinda staying together across Main Divide. Sharone and Amy were the only ones to clean all the climbs. We finally reached Motorway....and Calvin rolled up right behind us. Sharone and Amy took off early as they had planned to take it easy heading down. A little mechanical assistance with Calvin's bike and some catching up and we headed down. Today the pace was not blazing fast. Kam was on a rigid SS so he would fall back when it got really rough. Everyone made it down safely.

At the bottom we see Sharone changing a flat. He found a good place for it to happen...literally at the bottom of Motorway. He put the tube in after his C02 failed to reinflate the tire with Stans. Once he got the tube in, the valve stem was very short in his deep rim. The pump was having a hard time sealing. Tried pumping it but it would not inflate. Maybe the tube was bad. Removed the tube to find rookie mistake N0. 1.....he left the lockring on tube when he installed it....part of the reason the valve was so short. Sure enough the tube was bad. Ran my fingers along the inside of the tire....poke.....poke. Rookie mistake N0. 2....he didn't check for thorns before putting the tube in. Now this is where things get......interesting. Hugh and Kam had already left. I forgot to put my seat bag back on my bike after Palm Canyon last weekend so I was running empty. Amy doesn't carry anything since she doesn't know how to change a flat, so Steve offered up his tube to Sharone...so he could at least ride back to the Tree Farm. Now this was the only tube that we had between the 3 of us continuing on. :eek: Sharone headed down, we started climb number 2 for the day. My legs were still not feeling that great. It was a slow roll up the paved section of Maple Springs. We reached the end of pavement quicker than it felt like it was. Quick stop at the first guardrail.

From there is was just a constant grind up Maple Springs. Around 3800' we started running across some of the puddles that had frozen over. My legs finally started to warm up and feel ok about 2 miles from 4 Corners. Before we knew it, we had reached 4 Corners. Short break there. Chatted with a few friends that rolled by. We then were headed to the section of trail that none of us were looking forward to. Off we went. everything was going good to start. Slowly, but we were moving. Into the really shale section to Modjeska Peak...finally gave in and walked a little bit. I was starting to fall behind at this point. The legs were no longer feeling good again. Down into the saddle for the push on up to the Peak. This was another slow grind. I stopped for a nature break, and the other 2 kept going. I was now well behind, but I didn't have the legs to chase them down. I could see Steve from time to time. Slow and steady, but I made it to the Peak.

YAY@!!!!! the big climbing is done for the day. Amy rolled early down to Lower Holy Jim, while I took a break and put my arm warmers and jacket on. Main Divide down to Lower Holy Jim is trashed. Usually I don't mind this section as it is normally still kinda fast and chunky. Today...it was slow, pick your line through the rocks. Maybe it was my subconscious telling me not to get a flat. Passed a few hikers and gave a couple some directions. Amy beat us to Lower Holy Jim. Finally we would have several miles of DH recovery. The trail is getting a little tighter with the brush growing. Again, passed a few hikers on the way down. There is now water dripping from the spring....not a lot, but at least it isn't dry. Down into the switchbacks, the trail gets fairly beat up....rutted from the rains. Before we knew it we had reached the turn off for the Falls.

There was a good amount of water running down the creek. We were able to tip toe through them keeping feet dry. This seemed to get harder and harder the farther down we got. Amy was the first to dunk a foot. We made it down to last 3 crossings...the one that went over the hub on my bike, i just said "f*ck it"...and walked through it. Wet feet....didn't seem so bad. About 1/2 hour later, my toes were cold. 1/2 hour after that they were frozen. :( Out Holy Jim onto Trabuco Creek Rd. Gate is still closed, but it seemed a lot quieter out there than usual lately. Weaved in and out of the hikers on the road. It was still a clusterf*ck there at the gate. It was getting late.....after 3:00 and cars and people were still coming in. Finally back on the pavement, we stopped at the Trabuco General Store for a snack. Amy says it was the best donut she ever had.

Into O'Neill Park, you could feel the temps cooling down. The little ups and downs along Hoffman Homestead felt steeper than usual. Maybe it was because I couldn't feel my toes. :sick: Turn up Monastary Rd....ugggggg. Made it, but it wasn't pretty. Live Oak over to El Toro is really chewed up....lots of people out on it when it was really muddy. We finally popped out at the end of the bike trail and onto Santiago Canyon Rd. Ahhhhh.....the dirt portion of our ride was over. Now all we had ahead of us was a long road grind. It was after 4:00 by now....and way later than any of us had planned. Amy and I were both still dealing with frozen feet. We just kept pedaling. As we reached the back entrance to Whiting, we all looked up just in time to see a truck coming at us in the wrong lane of traffic.....fast. He nearly took out 2 motorcycles, and forced a car behind us to swerve into the bike lane. WTF????? o_O That got the adrenline pumping. :eek: From there Amy with her gears, dropped us. She was over the cold feet and just wanted to be done. We rolled into the Tree Farm a few minutes later, said our goodbyes and began the climb up Alp D'huez. This is where I told Amy, this is why we start early. It was 5:00 and I knew sunset was around 5:45. I also knew that I wasn't gonna be able to match my PR of 28 minutes up the canyon. Good thing was I was starting to get the feeling back into my toes. Bad thing was I knew exactly what we had in front of us. Put our heads down and just pedaled. The miles went by....slowly. We finally reached the cars.....however, my Garmin was showing 9993'....so I had to pedal a little farther. :cautious: We even made it there before dark. Yipppeeee.

So, not one of my better days out on the bike. Still made it through it. Kinda sounds like no one out on the mountain felt good today. Everyone I talked to had the same feeling...it was a tough day out there.

This route is mental for me. :( I can do the distance and the elevation all day long, but for some reason this route gets in my head. Maybe it is the 12 mile climb up Maple Springs to the Peak 25 miles into the ride. I dunno. o_O

It was still a fun day out on the bike....they always are.

Screenshot (135).png Screenshot (136).png

Tom the Bomb, ricke24, Mikie and 25 others like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Sorry, still BadAss™. Good work, soldiers!

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Heck of a ride. One of these days I'll join you for this one. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Vision Quest is rapidly approaching, and I haven't had as many big rides as I need. Thus was born the "Counting Coup Extended", which is really three rides in one:

1. Black Star to Motorway (24/4200)
    2. Maple Springs to Santiago Peak and down Holy Jim (26/5000)
    3. O'Neill Park and road miles back to the start (17/1500)

For a grand total of 67 miles and almost 11,000 feet.

Only one hearty soul (lunatic?) volunteered for the entire loop, starting and ending with Silverado road miles. I'm pretty sure anyone who follows the forum knows who that is... For the new people, @mtnbikej likes suffering. Read some of his ride reports... :thumbsup:

Big rides in the Santa Anas require some planning, because there are no water sources. With the cooler weather, I might have been able to carry enough water to do the entire circuit with Camelbak and bottles, but we opted to start at the Maple Springs gate and roll the five miles down to Black Star. This leaves the car with fresh bottles near the end of the Motorway descent. This was a great idea... Until I saw the temperature at 7:00.

A snowflake... Uh oh.
    IMG_2782.jpg

Although the car said 36 at this point, it was actually a few degrees cooler farther down the canyon when I was driving up. I saw 27 on the Garmin when we rolled down. We both layered up just for the downhill to Black Star, and I ended up carrying a pack all day, just for the extra clothes...

Ready to roll down Silverado Canyon...
    IMG_2783.jpg

At the tree farm, we shed some layers, and met up with @HBkites (Sharone), Hugh, Kam, and Amy. Hugh, Kam, and Sharone were in for the Black Star to Motorway loop, and Amy was in for the Counting Coup loop, but didn't want to do the Silverado road miles at the beginning and end.

The start up Black Star was pretty chilly, and we dodged some hikers on the lower section. Thank David Whiting for getting the word out about the waterfalls of Orange County. It's nice to see people getting out there... :thumbsup: Just be ready for Disneyland sized crowds on the lower sections of Black Star and Holy Jim.

Black Star is still beat up, but we made it up uneventfully. Hugh and Kam were on titanium single speeds running pretty stout gearing, so they sprinted ahead in spots, and waited in others. The rest of us just kept a steady pace, and arrived at Beeks in a comfortable 1:11:00 pace.

We cruised by, rejoined the two single speeders, and made the climb to the ball. It was a little loose, but it went by quickly. The climb from Beeks to Hagador and Pleasants Peak is tough... My heart rate was a little out of control, and I walked a couple sections that I normally make. Later on I discovered that I may have been seeing mtnbikej's heart rate on my Garmin, and not mine... I've never hit 185, and shouldn't have on this ride. My gaskets aren't designed for 185... o_O

Up and down Main Divide, which is in decent shape. There are some loose rutted sections still, but the downed trees have all been moved, and we made good time to Motorway... Stopping here and there to regroup, and point out the sites, like the green truck that went over the side a long time ago, just past Pleasants Peak.

At Motorway we ran into the mystery rider that we rode with once before on a nighttime Maple-Motorway loop. I believe he lurks here, but hasn't signed up... Incredibly strong rider. We hung out and chatted for a few minutes, while Amy and Sharone started down. Amy wanted the head start... The rock gods of Motorway claimed another tire, and for once, it wasn't mine! Sharone provided the sacrifice this time... I ended up donating my spare tube, so he could make it back down. This left me without a spare tube for the remaining 43 miles. Living on the edge! And neither of my partners were carrying a tube today... :eek::poop: I was already thinking ahead to the rocks coming down from Santiago Peak.

Tire fun...
    IMG_2785.jpg

After some thorn removal, we parted ways with Hugh, Kam, and Sharone. Jason and I rolled to the cars for a bottle refill, and Amy found a magical water source nearby. :whistling:

As we rolled away from the cars, it really seemed like we were just starting for the day, except for the Garmin which showed 24 miles and 4200 feet. My heart rate monitor had been acting up, so I threw it on the back seat and left it. No data for the remainder of the ride...

Starting the climb up Maple Springs with 4200 feet on the legs can be painful... And it was. Thankfully, the water crossings are all lower now, and it was easy to roll through all of them. A couple miles up, my Garmin started showing heart rate data. Uhhh... my monitor is on the back seat of the car. I was picking up Jason's signal. Now, I'm wondering if that was the case earlier in the ride... Weird. :bang: I thought those things had to pair with the Garmin? Maybe not? I stopped and turned off the heart rate on the Garmin...

It was about this point that we ran into @tortoise heading down Maple Springs. Nice to see him... And nice to see the cool Kona he built not too long ago. :thumbsup: My two partners didn't stop, so I had to play catch-up a little bit. And before we knew it, we were back on dirt. Maple was a lot drier than the last few times I've been up, but there were still a few ice covered puddles here and there. :thumbsup:

Four Corners to the peak was a little rough on the legs... The rocky section up to Modjeska was probably cleanable. But not today... I walked a few sections. There would be more walking before Santiago Peak. Amy is in great shape, and climbs like a demon. If you ever need someone to pull you along on a climb, she's it... She was strong all the way to the peak. Jason and I both fell off the back here and there. I was really looking forward to the downhill from Santiago Peak to Holy Jim all the way to the Trabuco store.

From the peak to Upper Holy Jim is in rough shape. There are bomb craters and sharp rocks galore! And I had no spare tube. This was really in my mind coming down... But there were no issues, and we dropped all the way from the peak down Holy Jim. Not bombing, but regrouping and having fun... :thumbsup:

The lower section of Holy Jim was a riot. The water crossings were incredible... And deep. One of us managed to cross all of them without getting his feet wet. One of us slipped and got wet, and one of us just said the heck with it, and walked through a crossing with his bright yellow shoes! I did not want wet feet for the last 20 miles. My ballerina moves came in handy. :thumbsup:

Lots of Water...
    IMG_2791.jpg

Down the wash, through the Disneyland parking lot, and out to the General Store at mile 50. Water, Coke, Peanuts, and a donut! My Green Tea Tailwind was getting a little old at this point. :gag:

It would have been a 10 minute pedal to my house from here. I offered. Amy was on board, tempted by espresso, cookies, and the promise of a ride back to her car. Someone poo-pooed the idea, and we set out for Live Oak in O'Neill and then a bunch of road miles back to the start. :cautious:

Live Oak was pretty uneventful, but it was beat up... There was evidence that way too many people were out there when it was muddy. I could have used rear suspension, and it's normally just a smooth fire road.

Santiago Canyon Road was nuts. We saw a truck on the wrong wide of the road, which almost took out a motorcycle... And it was a never ending stream of minivans and impatient muscle cars. I was really glad to make the turn onto Silverado, even though I wasn't looking forward to the climb. We parted ways with Amy at the tree farm, and headed up. The last 5 miles were painful, but we pulled each other along, and were soon at the cars. Jason had to do a few extra feet of extra credit to get 10,000 on his Garmin. I hit the car with 67 miles and 10,784 feet.

What a day. Never felt 100%, but just kept going... Pulled along by two strong riders. :thumbsup:

Nerdball Stats...
    Untitled 2.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Oops... @Mikie. Can you move my ride report over here and merge them?

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    Trabuco Canyon residents after the recent rains... talking about Jason and Steve:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, bvader and 5 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Custom XTR 29er
    11 hours. Wow. Too rich for my blood :)

Mikie, scan and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Jason and I had the largest route of the day, so we had some standing around time when the Garmin just ran... Gathering the group at Black Star, saying good-byes, fixing the tire, running to the cars for a water reload, etc... I think we could shave at least an hour, but this ride was really good the way it was, and we knew it would be an all day event. It was nice to have the large group for the first loop. That made it go by really fast. :thumbsup:

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    And paid for it later. :eek:

But yeah, there was a lot of down time on this ride. We had 2.5 hrs of stopped time.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Honestly, it didn't feel like we were out there that long. If it wasn't for the fact that it was getting dark, it wouldn't have seemed so late.

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Done. My Good Friend!

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Thank you, Sir! :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    Let me start by saying that this is not an attempt to defend my reputation!

My tire issue at the bottom of MW was bizarre, and to this point I have no good explanation to what actually happened......

As I finished the run down MW, I was realized that I have about 40 minutes of spare time, and I planed on riding up to the end of the pavement of Maple Springs.
    As I started pedaling in circles waiting for the others to get down, I noticed that my front tire was a little soft. 60 second later is was virtually flat. I was looking for a Stens leek, and couldn't find one. My (worng) conclusion was that my Stens was dry.
    At that point I popped off the tires only to realized that I have plenty of Stens. I tried sealing off my tire with a CO2 cartridge. That didn't work!
    The spare tube was my only option now. I dumped the Stans, and inserted my tube (without checking the inside of the tire).

At his point Steve and Jason showed up, and borrowed Steve pump. My pathetic attempt to inflate a punctured tube ended when Jason asked "did you check the inside of your tire?". His next comment was " That will be on the ride report!".

Jason jump on the opportunity to save the day, and Steve was willing to give me his only tube. A few minutes later my front wheel was ready to roll. I rolled down the hill to my car.

On the boring 5 miles downhill roll to my car I was trying to answer two questions:
    1 Did I screw up their ride?
    2 Why did my tire loose pressure?

I was relived to find out that the spare tube was not needed.

When I got home I removed he tube. Installed the same valve, and refeeled the Stans. I pumped it up to 30psi. The tire held pressure overnight. I did a 2 hrs ride this morning no issue. BIZARRE!

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    There was no ride screw-uppage! And we wouldn't have let you do the walk of shame... We were both parked right there. If the tube hadn't worked, I could have driven you down. :thumbsup:

I've had some leaks that needed massaging to seal... Take the tire off, find the leak, hold it in just the right position, bang it around a few times, spin, etc...

16. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    I was concerned that later on during the ride one of you would need that tube that was in my front wheel.

17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Great inspiring reports @Faust29 @mtnbikej !!
    Having a full day on the saddle.
    The only time I did sky-b*-sky for me was a half a day in the saddle but felt very happy and with a sense of accomplishment. Thanks for sharing !

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    It was all good. Spent a lot of years working in a shop and changing flats. When one happens on trail...instinct is to jump in and get it changed. Have a hard time just standing back watching others.

Glad you able to ride back to the car.

It was great you came out and joined...next time you will continue on.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, HBkites and 2 others like this.
  19. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Your relive was so long I had to pop some popcorn. I would really love to try one of these rides one day. Maybe @Mikie and @Voodoo Tom would care to join me? FYI I will be bringing gears. :gag:

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I agree.....most rides are under 1:00.....I really like it when they float around that 2:00+ mark.

I have plenty of big ride routes.....just need the company for them. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And even though this was a ball buster, it had two of the best downhills around... Motorway at 3 miles, and Holy Jim at 5 miles! And we bagged the tallest peak in the OC. :thumbsup:

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

I've been getting the urge to do the Holy Jim--- San Juan Loop again. Maybe we could get some northerners down for that one! Great 50 miler... @UPSed @Voodoo Tom @Mikie

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I don't think gimpy is ready just yet. He'll probably need some time to get readjusted to his legs when his paw heals up.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    And that is funny, I was just talking with someone this afternoon about that ride.....and Harding-San Juan.

25. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Sounds like a good time.....

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Oh... He'd be fine. Isn't he running a 24x50 or something similar now?

27. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Well pretty much anything south of the San Gabriel valley is new dirt for me and I love new dirt so when others are ready then so am I...

Shouldnt take too long with that 30t chainring he put on.

Riding with @rossage is always a good time.

28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
  29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    This was a big'un... :thumbsup:

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Pic Slots strikes again....I had just finished reading this.