Why does nobody talk about Diamondback mtbikes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by verdugist, Sep 29, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

DB makes entry level and high end bikes. But nobody ever seems to own one or talk about one. Why?

Mikie likes this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Because they are not the bikes that the cool kids ride.

rojomas, UPSed, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  3. verdugist

verdugist Guest

CarlS, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  4. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Mikie likes this.
  5. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Or they think they're "cool" b/c Danny Macaskill rides SC.

Mikie likes this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Diamond back makes some good bikes, but certain people dont want to be seen on them. The Axis, Mason, Overdrive and Sortie are all capable bikes. You have to think that almost any bike that came from a BIKESHOP, and Wally World and Target don't count, is a good quality bike.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My first mountain bike was a Diamondback, and it hauled my fat behind up Live Oak more times than I can count. When I hit my goal weight, I promised myself an upgrade.

I donated it to charity with a couple thousand miles (or more) on it, and it was still in working order, and the wheels were true! They weighed as much as a small Volkswagen, but they held up.

8. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I believe my OD Comp is 35 lbs, perhaps I get better workout compared to the carbon frame guys

Sometimes I worry it doesn't handle as well as high end bikes but I've learned to corner better. Also the brakes are elixir 1 which are the entry level which makes me nervous descending from 3000 ft peaks but so far no issues other than noise.

GregMiester and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In my opinion your better off with your DB than . . . . . . . Wait for it . . . . . . . Wait for it . . . . . Specialized!
    Only UPSed saw that coming...

Diamondback was pretty popular back in the 90's, that's not meant as a dig. I think that some bikes make the time transition and some don't. Most likely some of today's bikes won't be at the top of the preferred list 20 years from now. Not bad bikes more likely bad marketing, or not choosing to keep up with market trends.

Faust29 likes this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Because the 80's are over. :gag:

ridinrox, Faust29, doublewide and 2 others like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ouch Uncle Ed!
    Don't mind UPSed... He's grumpy cuzz I bag on Specialized all the time...:)
    Your Diamondback is just fine Brothah!
    Post some pics of your ride...

UPSed likes this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Mongoose, Diamondback, and Schwinn. The most popular bikes for the homeless in downtown Long Beach. Sorry if that offends, but it's just the facts.

Although I did see one guy tooling along on an Iron Horse. With inoperable V brakes.

DangerDirtyD, ridinrox, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I saw a Wal-Mart Schwinn climbing Holy Jim a few months ago... And his riding companion was on a BMX bike. They were having a (painful) blast! No water, no food, and they were within a mile of Main Divide.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Gotta admit, Kelly McGarry is a badass. The first to backflip the Canyon gap at Rampage. Last year he overshot a jump by 30 ft. and exploded his wheels upon landing. His Marzocchi fork and Diamondback frame somehow survived, as did he.

McGarry's Bike.jpg

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just like the folks of the Latino persuasion at Santiago Oaks. Sweating like hogs on their heavy-ass full squish Schwinn or Diamondback, and going nearly as fast as any of us up those hills. Particularly the 3 Bs. And smiling all the way, God love 'em.

17. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    I think many of the top brands that we grew up with lost their "Cool" factor once they sold out to China. i.e Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, Diamond Back, Haro. Think about it, if Yeti was sold off with Schwinn and GT do you think they would be the well respected bike company that they are? China only bought those brands for their name recognition but do nothing to keep the stoke alive. All the "cool" brands do demo days and really make you feel like their products are made for cyclists by cyclists. Not, bicycles built for mass consumption by corporations for a bottom line.

ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeti was purchased by Schwinn in 1995, but current president Chris Conroy bought the brand back in about 2001. Around 2006 they introduced one of the first long-travel, relatively slack, fairly light trailbikes - the 575 - which boasted 146mm of rear travel (5.75") - basically an inch and a half more than most F/S trailbikes at the time. It was an efficient climber, great descender and very reliable.

Almost all bikes are made in China or Taiwan right now especially those made of carbon - including Yeti, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Intense and most of the "cool" brands. But like Rojomas said, there is something about a bike engineered and built by mountain bikers from a company that only makes mountain bikes... (and actually, I think Diamondback is only an MtB label).

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Diamondback also has a few decent road bikes, and they are also pretty popular in the hybrid crowd...

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  20. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    They were smart to make the Mason. Most Diamondbacks are on the portly side. They can take some serious abuse. At least with the Mason (both hardtail and full suspension), it was designed with that type of riding in mind. The rest of their hardtails are kind of garden variety, and on the heavy side. My guess is that there are better picks for most XC riders.

I think their hardtails like the Response (I had one a while back), are a decent pick for large superclyde types looking to get into (or back into) riding. You can huck one off of a cliff and and it will likely survive just fine. Really stout, but heavy, frames. And therein lies their downside for many straight up XC riders.

With their FS bikes, that Knucklebox design is kind of . . . . . odd to look at, and as far as I know, doesn't do anything particularly special.

21. verdugist

verdugist Guest

lmao!

Mikie likes this.
  22. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I don't have pics actually but it's this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Diamondback-Overdrive-Comp-29-MTB-2013

I've removed the WTB Wolverine tires as the LBS told me those are speed tires so now I have a pair of Kendas (one Nevegal and one Small Block 8). I had 2 Nevegal and it was like pulling a truck.

Sometimes I worry about the safety of this bike as I tend to go ~25 mph on straightaway downhills which feels borderline too fast for my skill level. And the brakes don't seem to auto-adjust when the pads wear down as the levers pull in farther back which I don't like but oh well. I guess I could only complain about the saddle and weight so far.

But I like the 3x10 gear setup, seems like a lot of the newer and more expensive bikes are 2xY or 1xY. Don't you get that crossing problem with a 1xY? I was told to keep the chain as straight as possible and avoid smallest chain ring with smallest cog or biggest chain ring with largest cog.

Mikie likes this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Your LBS is a bunch of idiots....The WTB Wolverine is not a speedy tire. Yes, it is faster than the Nevegal....but a square block of wood is faster than the Nevegal. You should have kept the Wolverine's on it. (yes, i have spent time on both tires)

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  24. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Hmm. There are some tires covered specifically in the Brian Lopes skills book. I bought the Nevegal specifically for better grip. My neighbor has a Wolverine in the rear and Nobby Nic in the front. The Wolverine tread pattern looks faster than the Nevegal. I thought I confirmed what LBS said somewhere...

Mikie likes this.
  25. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Plus I don't think you should make comments like that. Maybe I didn't explain exactly what he said correctly. They did a bike fit for me and sold me a seat which has thus far eliminated butt soreness and knee pain so I'm pretty happy.

Mikie likes this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Sorry, don't really care what tires BL runs.....we are not him. Really don't care what tires the Pro's run....they will push tires beyond the limits than any of us will. I know many may not agree, but that's my opinion.

Plus, unless he updates his book every year....tires become outdated....new & better offerings come along. While the Nevegal was a good tire...back in 2009, you have a hard time giving them away these days.

Learn better skills instead of trying to buy them with tires.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  27. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Ok got your point. So how are you supposed to corner in a deeper sandy area (1-3 inches)? This comes up semi-frequently in the hills I ride. And all too frequently, and apparently irrespective of your tires, you partially or completely lose control. I know to lean the bike with outside foot at 6 o'clock and look where you want to go. I don't understand how these guys are doing night rides. And the days are becoming shorter. I was running a head lamp pre-dawn and still hit this problem...

28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Well.....he rides MAXXIS tires now so you should probably get rid of those Kenda's and get some BL approved Maxxis tires. BTW They are great tires unlike the Kendas. Mind you this is MY opinion take it for what it's worth, which is not much.
    Just go ride your bike, pop some wheelies and get rad! :thumbsup:

29. verdugist

verdugist Guest

I don't care what tires the pros use. They are getting paid just like musicians to use amps, drum kits, etc. What matters is what works for your trails/terrain and in SoCal is pretty much all dry packed dirt, sand, rocks, etc. And I get a bit nervous when I see sandy patches or lots of smaller rocks. So I figured a better gripping tire would help. The main issue is cornering, so the skills comment is valid.

Mikie likes this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    When I saw Tinker climb a 3 mile rock garden on Small Block 8s, I knew that the pros' tire choices were completely irrelevant to us mere mortals.

I listen to the guys here who are near or better than me, and ride similar terrain, and make a decision from there.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?