Who Wants to Ride the SOT ?

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by CarlS, Jul 28, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    crowdfunding. I Think these guys are going to try and sue for access?

from share the SOT on FB:
    "We aim to fix the policies that are helping to degrade our trail system and block access for too many Americans."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sustainabletrailscoalition.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sustainabletrailscoalition.org/</a>

2. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Sounds like a plan...

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I want to ride the SOT Sorry . . . was I yelling?
    I live near a lot of the SOT. Some of it makes sense to be able to ride, there are sections that do not.
    However, there are also sections that would be awesome to ride that are in great need of repair. Completely overgrown or inundated with Poodle Dawg. Mountain bikers could be of great assistance to remedy this.

I agree there are sections that should be available to Mountain Biking. Knowing it is a multi-user trail should also make us aware of proper trail etiquette and abide in it so we represent well...

4. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Excellent idea but the website is a little vague on who these people are asking for money. What lobbing firm are they talking about to spearhead in Washington. What senators do they have on board? Where is the written legislation to review or preview. The website looks like a dream give me more concrete info so I can get behind the idea and send money. Good points made in the read.

Dean

5. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    yea I hear you Dean, this is there answer via Facebook:

"Where is the business plan showing how this money will be spent, and how this spending will make a difference?" We have a two-page business plan. To read it, send a request to info@sustainabletrailscoalition.org.

if anyone is doing FB I recommend checking out "sharing the SOT" that is where all my info is from

6. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    the first time I rode Noble we took a wrong turn and ended up on the Perfect Cycling Trail.
    It was great!
    We finally realized our error and hiked overland to the proper route.
    I'm all for opening it up.

7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    TGTBT

8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I had the same questions Dean. They have added some more info to their website, enough that I will be sending some funds their way. I also got a reference for some of their key members from Kanga/Steve M at Corba. I really like their approach, which is basically to ask that the blanket ban on bikes be ended (they are not asking for a blanket permit for bike access) and that prohibition of mechanical tools for trail maintenance be ended as well. Instead give land managers the ability to make local decisions.

I challenge everyone here to donate $100. They are minimizing expenses and most funds will go to hiring a DC lobbying firm to help fight for access on our behalf.

The rest I imagine will be up to us to lobby our own representatives.

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm in for $100 bucks. That's penny's compared to the potential outcome...

10. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    I need my money to pay the poaching fines. I am too old to wait for the government to act on changing laws. Just kidding I will send them money now that Evan sent out the challenge.

Dean

11. CarlS

CarlS Member

Name:
    Carl
    Current Bike:
    Walmart $50 special
    I admit I have not made a donation yet, as I'm in a bit of a financial pinch right now. but after I get back from Vacation and get back on top of things I will be donating.

It sure would be nice to see some bike companies get behind this. OR someone with some big money. There has to be someone out there with a lot of cash that could easily drop $100,000 for bike access. A celebrity maybe? Woody Harrelson? Ben Stiller? don't some of them ride? :lol:

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I will make a small donation... It really is mind boggling how much land is off limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll be donating a letter to my congresscritter. I won't bother to write Feinstein or Boxer as it would be a waste of both my and their time.

But pennies are tight with a kid headed to college next year.

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We're in the same boat... And I'll have a second one in two more years. Soup kitchen, here I come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk