Who REALLY Wants to Lose Weight?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mikie, Mar 23, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That doesn't look anything like Pandora. o_O

Mikie, HBkites, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No.....but there is a certain pleasure/pain/suffering that goes with the SS.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... I was just going to "give it a test around the local stuff". That was almost two years ago and about 7,000 miles. It's like crack.

You may start out easy with good intentions. But soon enough, you'll be showing up to the Cannell Plunge on a rigid single speed. Hell Ride? No problem! :D

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Great plan. Constrained time = bump the intensity. I hope to do the same thing.

I converted a bike last year, and it was not difficult at all. Guys here can crack the mystery of the gearing, but aside from that it's really simple. The spacer kit from Surly includes technical instructions that are easy to assimilate and there is no tricky wrenching at all. It's mostly about measuring and eyeballing for optimal chainline. Buy that spacer kit, a Surly cog and do your voodoo. If I can do it, so can you!

Luis, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  5. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    urg. I need to ride more.. realize that riding 4 hours up n down main divide is worth one double double and fries.. just drink water..
    its not about the exercise, its about the food... the food that I eat too much off...

Luis, Danmtchl, HBkites and 5 others like this.
  6. dino

dino Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    john
    Current Bike:
    ibis mojo 2009
    Just forget it; Christmas is coming; and new-year.

After that: Eat less. What about Easter; and birthdays?

The trick is:

Eat fewer calories than you burn. Eat many small portions several times a day or eat one large it is all the same. If you can count the calories you eat and the calories you burn you can do what I cannot.

If you really love eating you have to exercise more if you don't want to buy bigger clothes.

I am around 180cm, 75kg. My wife and daughter are happy with that so I must be glad.

When I was 40 I was only 60kg and a lot stronger than I am today.

If I get more time on my bike I will come down to 70kg without eating less. My wife is a good cook.

7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

If you need a bump than refer to post “ Bad News For Most” . If you have it in you than don’t be the mostest.....

dino, Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Since this got bumped I would like to add six months after I posted this I was down to 189. It took taking up running and a lot of willpower but I did it. It's been over a year now and I have been able to maintain mid 190s. Occasionally I will get close to 200 then I clamp down. This time of year is tough for me mostly because I have a helper so I don't get much exercise other than a ride on the weekend. The point I'm trying to make is if you really want to lose weight you can do it.

Luis, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  9. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Name:
    Aaron Brooks
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL
    I am down to 209 from 225. It has taken me 2 months. My son joined the middle school mountain bike team and I volunteered to help. I started using MyFitness Pal and that has really helped me track my calories. I did 1500 calories a day for the first 30 days with 1 ride a week. I dropped the weight and found that riding was more fun for me. Now I am riding 3 times a week and getting stronger. I am probably back to 2000 calories a day, but the extra riding is keeping me at 210. I will probably try another 30 day stint in January to get down to 200. It is amazing how much easier climbing is when the weight drops.

10. dino

dino Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    john
    Current Bike:
    ibis mojo 2009

Do not be afraid if you gain a little weight if you are exercising a good deal. Muscles are heavier than fat, so instead of just looking at the scale you can also look at your waist line. As long as it gets slimmer you are on the right track. Keep it up. It is healthy.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and mike like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You earned props for that, Aaron. Nice going! And props to your kid :thumbsup:

Is there any way to not completely abandon your program through the holidays? Hate to see you lose too much of your hard-won progress. Consistency at any intensity is good. Keep up the strong work!

Danmtchl likes this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Good job on the weight loss!

I used MyFitnessPal religiously for 18 months and dropped close to 100 pounds. Now, whenever I find my waistline going up, I go back to it for a week or two at a time. :thumbsup:

13. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I confess, I'm a soda junkie. Love Rootbeer and Dr. Pepper. But for the last two months I quit drinking sodas. Dropped 10 pounds.

Luis, Sidewalk, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  14. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Holly moely, 100 Lbs! A true success story!

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  15. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This potentially could add quality years to your life.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  16. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I need to get my $heet together and figure out a way to drop 20 lbs by Counting Coup.
    The last time I was 200 lbs was 25 years ago......
    Just the thought of cutting back on calories makes me hungry.
    Maybe I need to find a hypnotist........ or do CC @ 210lbs.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.
  17. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Cut sugar (added), cut carbs (white/beer), eat just a little less. I'm down 35 lbs on mostly that routine.

UPSed, Runs with Scissors and HBkites like this.
  18. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Lots of great ideas. What worked for me was absolutely free** and I got to ride my bike too. Pick your starting point and pedal over to the campground in CHSP. If you see the water fountain near the road without the "Don't drink the water - Construction use ONLY" warning sign, you're almost done. Go ahead and top off your water bottle and sip on it for the rest of your ride. I would suggest getting back to your vehicle ASAP to avoid a nasty mess. My proven method helped me drop 20+ pounds in less than a week.

** The "I think I'm going to die - get me to a doctor stat" aftermath did cost a little bit. The added bonus is that the meds work wonders and if you drink ANY alcohol within 30 days of starting the meds you will vomit violently. Now you won't drink and lose even more weight.

19. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Interesting concept...
    Did you see any improvement in your climbing :)

I started a similar (milder) diet last night. I lost 3-4 lbs. during a sleepless night. Hopefully, the worst is behind me (literally).

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Start riding the SS....the lbs. come off pretty quick.

Runs with Scissors and HBkites like this.
  21. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla