Who do you use for TV/Internet?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by SnakeCharmer, Mar 3, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My internet speed is slowing down!!! :mad: I am an AT&T U-verse customer. It's been great for the past few years but a few months back I noticed that the speed has slowed a bit, sometimes even stalling out completely. I have heard the same complaint from other U-verse customers.

I have heard a rumor the AT&T U-verse system is running out of bandwidth. Furthermore, I heard that they are going to phase out U-verse and switch their customers over to Direct TV (satellite).

I have the option to switch to cable or satellite. I hear that cable has a lightning fast internet speed. I don't know anything about satellite internet speeds, though.

My one complaint about both cable and satellite TV is the momentary pause when switching TV channels. That drives me nuts. With U-verse, it's instant.

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have used used ATT internet for 15 years now and they can only get me 18Mbps and charge me $57 per month. Lately the internet has been cutting out in the afternoon when my kids need to use it for school.

I had U-verse for along time and it would just cut out or freeze. Always something wrong with it and the hour long trouble shooting phone calls prompted me to go to Direct Tv, another ATT company. No problems with it other than price. $137 per month for the ultimate package.

Well I saw Spectrums has for a bundle package with way faster internet speed(60mbps). So I am getting Tv, internet and phone for the same price as my Direct Tv. It is getting installed today as a matter of fact. We'll see how it goes.

Maybe the money saved I can invest in bike parts.

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm using Directv for TV and Time Warner for Internet. U-verse isn't available in this small section of Simi. No problems at all with Direct and the Internet speeds with TW are ridiculous. I may go to YouTube TV when it becomes available. Screenshot_20170303-063830.png

4. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    I had uverse for 2 years and the first 3 months there were constant issues. In practice DSL/Uverse should be far more consistent/stable because the copper is not shared within your neighborhood. Your connection is direct to the central office and thus only affected by the bandwidth from the provider. Cable on the other hand is shared within your neighborhood and your speed can fluctuate depending on the usage within your area.

My issues were old copper which degraded the connection. They had to restring it from the street all the way to the house. Also, there were old inline filters that removed high frequency signals that were taken out. Those filters were tuned to voice frequencies and prevented DSL signals from working correctly.

5. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    We live at the top of a dead-end street with nothing but hills behind us. Nice to live here, but we are so far from the closest AT&T hub that we have terribly slow service. Years ago, it didn't bother us. With all of the wireless devices competing for bandwidth we are hurting now. Our plan is to switch over to a cable based program, ditch the phone lines and use Amazon, Netflix, Zulu etc for TV . We shall see......

6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    switch to streaming.

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Very fast internet and the cheapest basic cable though Cox, 83.00 per/mo for both and never an issue. Had to bitch a blue streak as I told Cox under a 100/mo or shut the cable off completely. Took about a week to no longer even think about all the add on stations.

and of course Amazon prime.

Used to have direct TV. Took an act of God to cancel it. Seriously, like a month of calls. Never again will I put up with that.

With Cox I just drive to their office and give them the box back if I decide to cancel or anything else. I like seeing their face while I go over any issues.

And yes, I have issues with cable TV business model. TV used to be free....And cable was for commercial free programming.

8. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Agreed, which is why I went the way of the millennials and cut off all television service in my house and just pay for fast internet. Thanks to Kodi and a fire stick I pirate everything I watch. I do miss falling asleep to the boob tube with the news as ambient noise.

9. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    I too only have fast internet and Amazon prime, netflix, hulu and terrestial TV (from the air). Between the 4 services, I have not had any issues finding things to watch. Although I do have to watch my favorite shows a day later on my laptop. I just wish AMC had a streaming option so I can watch the latest walking dead.

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    99% of the shows we watch are on Netflix or Amazon Fire stick. Having DirecTV is a waste of money. The only thing I need it for his Formula 1. I'm sure I could find that streaming somewhere?

11. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I'm interested in YouTube TV. It looks promising.

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I love the skinny bundles. Why should I have to pay for a 1000 channels if I don't watch but 10?

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Trying to do cancel with ATT and they hung up twice on me already. Thank God I am canceling.

14. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Writings on the wall for those types of services. Spectrum try to lure me in with a bundle which included a home phone. I said," girl I haven't had a home phone since 2002. Why would you think I would be enticed with that offer?" She then said it would help me in case of emergencies since my address will pop up when I make a 911 call. For which my reply was, I'll let the person who found my body to worry about my address.

15. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    We had Verizon Fios for years and loved it ... then they went and sold that part of their business to Frontier and it was a train wreck. Frontier pretty much got their act together eventually, but between not wanting to give them our business and just wanting to cut costs, we dropped the TV and landline, kept the Internet, and started streaming TV.

We're paying for 50Mbps Download and Upload, and we are getting 50 down and 60 up pretty consistently. Outages have been very rare as well.

For TV we're using the Playstation Vue service and streaming it through Roku's on multiple TVs. Right now we also have Netflix and HBO streaming, but it's nice that each one is standalone and no contract, so we can turn them on or off whenever we want if we find we're not using them. Even with these 3 services we're saving a bunch of money over our old Fios Tripleplay.

Playstation Vue is pretty cool, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the competition shapes up with Sling TV, DirectTV Now, and YouTube. Playstation Vue gives us most of the channels we used to watch, including local networks, and a cloud based DVR service with unlimited recordings kept for 28 days. A few months ago, they lost Viacom channels so we suddenly lost Comedy Central and maybe half a dozen other channels. It also doesn't include Time Warner Sports, so no Laker games, but it's a pretty good way to be able to watch live TV including sports through a streaming service.

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    $19.99 digital antenna from a local hardware store. 183 digital channels over the air. No cable or satellite. No monthly charges. It helps that I have an unobstructed view of Mt Wilson.
    Don't miss having cable tv, don't watch much tv anyway.

17. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I get Formula One on Apple TV through the NBC Sports app. Any streaming device with access to NBC Sports will allow you to watch the Formula 1 races (those devices are Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, Samsung TV, XBox One, and Windows 10, in addition to streaming from their site). Of course you still need a sign on through a cable provider...

18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    That defeats the purpose of canceling cable TV. Although I have cable, minimum basic channels only, so I can't get what I used to watch. You'll quickly adapt and not miss the stations.

19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have been over-the-air for over 10 years. I missed a few sports channels but I quickly got over not seeing the "must see" stuff that gets pushed on you.
    One interesting side-effect of ditching cable et al is that my sleep habits improved. Instead of staying up watching TV, I just turn off the idiot box right after I get the superficial and over-hyped weather report from one of our local hotties. Then I just go to bed. Makes waking up early to ride much easy.

20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sweet dreams... :D

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I adapted about 4 years ago.

Hint: the sign in ain't mine.

22. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Currently a DirecTV customer but that will end soon. Their signal is fine but I can't justify the cost for the limited number of stations. Will switch to Sony Vue for access to local stations and ESPN. Also a big fan of the cheapie digital antenna - love the PBS stations and the sub-stations (5.2, 11.2, 13.3) - and the picture is great and FREE.
    Also Firestick w/Kodi ...
    (if anyone has a good streaming channel for sports please let me know NFL, F1, )

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Comparing several streaming services I came across DirecTV Now. For me it is $35 a month for 120 channels and they are sending me a free Amazon Firestick. I also signed up with Hulu for $7.99 a month. Between those two and Netflix I'm confident I will be able to find everything I want to watch. I will also be saving over $150 a month!

Cyclotourist, MattB and SnakeCharmer like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Very nice! I need to get on that bus and save some money.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I've never purchased a TV and never spent one cent on cable TV programming.

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I just received an email from DirecTV telling me it would only be $30 a month for the first 6 months for being an early adopter. It's hard for me to change as I just love the convenience of always being able to watch what I want to. But with the savings it's pretty much a no-brainer now.

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  27. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    AT&T for internet only.

Fire TV + Kodi = :D

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  28. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Let us know how you like Direct TV Now. It looks interesting, but I'm waiting for Roku compatibility and DVR functionality, which are both supposed to be in the works.

UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I love me some CVB! I've see them perform at Pappy's in PiTown at the Camper-Cracker Campout most years since it started.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Well I did it. I "cut the cord". I tried DirecTV Now for a week and it just didn't work for us. It seemed okay at first but we were experiencing some voice sync problems on live TV and it seems it needs more bugs worked out. Also there wasn't a DVR option (yet). So I figured I would call and at least get my current bill reduced. Well I was looking at my bill and realized I was paying $40 a month just for equipment rental! WTF?! Shame on me for not noticing but it was reason enough for me to start looking for other options. I tried Hulu and although it worked okay it didn't provide the programming it advertised. Next up.....Sling TV. Yes! It works as advertised! It has a cloud DVR! I can get every channel I need! Am I excited? Capital F yeah! I'm saving $120 a month! They have $20, $30 and $40 packages and of course add ons. I opted for the $40 package and added the sports package for $10 (MotoGP and F1 fan) and the cloud DVR for $5. Yeah it will take some getting used to but considering we realistically watch a handful of channels it will be worth it. To add the streaming TV options are only getting better and you can add/cancel whenever you want.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?