Who came up with the bright idea to run INTO car and bike traffic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonsaiNut, Aug 30, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    For the record, not only do I bike, but I run trails. I also like to hike. I have never once, in decades of doing these activities, been smitten by the urge to run or hike on the WRONG SIDE OF THE TRAIL/ROAD.

And yet... it seems like every couple of times I am out biking, I will encounter some running or hiking idiot, who thinks it is a good idea to come straight at you on the left (in their direction) side of the trail. If biking, I slow down and make a big point of having to dodge around them. If running, however, I hold my line and force them to move the f^%*&^ out of my way.

Who are these people??

Danmtchl, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  2. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I understand why runners do it on streets with no sidewalk so they can see the oncoming traffic and dodge if the Dodge Charger doesn't see them. Aside from that you got me buddy.

3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Maybe they're from England.....

doublewide, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Haha! I have always wondered the same thing. When they're driving down an unmarked stretch of road do they automatically go to the wrong side? You would think it would be natural whether you are walking or riding that you would stay to the right.

That being said I agree with @MrGreedom. If you are walking or running on the street you should go against traffic. That's the way I was taught anyways.

5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Or, when you come up on a hiker/jogger from behind screaming ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!! and, then they jump over to the left side of the trail. :bang:

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Or what about when you are coming up from behind on a hiker/jogger and shout out to them ON YOUR LEFT!!!! and they jump over to their left:bang::bang:

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  7. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    And then they wait until you are close and decide to jump across the trail again this time to the right. If they'd just continue on without doing anything, I could figure out a safe way around.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, Redman and 4 others like this.
  8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've had this happen so many times..:facepalm:......

MrGreedom and Danmtchl like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Once a trail runner made contact with me as I yielded ROW on the right (and downhill) side of the trail; could easily have knocked me over the edge. Now I yield on the uphill side if there's any drop-off, whether uphill is left or right side of the trail.

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I haven't encountered any runners state that they gonna pass on my left and then pass on their left, but when approaching, they do have the right of way regardless of who is going up or down, right?

This rendering us powerless peons who should stop if necessary to allow for safe passage?

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No. Stupid should have Darwinistic consequences.

And same as on a bike, you run a higher risk of getting taken out by a right turn or driveway when going against traffic.

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Startled people don't think and don't process information. They leap. You do it too, when/if you are startled. Thing is, why are they startled? Because they are blatantly and recklessly unaware and unconcerned until "OMG there's a bike, and it's going to kill me!"

MrGreedom, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    For a brief time in the 90s, the Boy Scouts of America handbook encouraged people to bike opposite traffic on the road. I remember thinking it was a horrible idea even when I was 12. Maybe the thought was that you'd be able to see traffic and react to it? There is some logic to it - you have no idea what's behind you, and just trust that drivers will see you. The next version of the BSA handbook had corrected this.

On the trails, I assume everyone has a different idea of a "singletrack". Some are oblivious, some literally think the trail is too narrow for someone to pass, even when it's 10' wide. I've scared people with my bell and they've jumped and stumbled across the trail on a fire road.

In LA, I've run into nimbys that intentionally move to the center of the trail and spread their arms out, literally thinking they own the entire trail. They've tried to make certain trails "private for resident use only" - in public wilderness areas. I've hi 5'd a few of them to angry shouts. I scream "yea! Hi5" and smack their hand. :thumbsup:

kazlx, Fijirob, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That...is...AWESOME!

tick, Danmtchl, Luis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I do try my best to remember to swap sides but old habits are hard to change, especially when most of your concentration is being spent on not blowing up on a climb :D

16. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    If you wanna get technical:

California Vehicle Code Section 21650.1
    A bicycle operated on a roadway, or the shoulder of a highway, shall be operated in the same direction as vehicles are required to be driven upon the roadway.

And

CVC
    (b) A pedestrian may walk close to his or her right-hand edge of the roadway if a crosswalk or other means of safely crossing the roadway is not available or if existing traffic or other conditions would compromise the safety of a pedestrian attempting to cross the road.

Just sayin.

DangerDirtyD and Danmtchl like this.
  17. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I did not know there was a proper side of a trail to hike, run or ride. A lot of my trails are pretty narrow, so we only have two sides. the right side (the uphill side) the wrong side (the exposure side).
    Happy I tend to error on the right side trails

stevers and Danmtchl like this.
  18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    always walk facing traffic so peds should be on the left side. U will live longer that way

Fueledbyex8 and Danmtchl like this.
  19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Did you read my original post? We're not talking about pedestrians walking along the right side of the road WITH traffic. We're talking about the dingbats who walk/run on trails on their LEFT side - directly into oncoming traffic.

I specifically remember one case when I was riding on Aliso Creek Trail during the rain (paved trail). I was riding along with my head down due to the rain, staying on the right edge of the trail, way over from the center. In between Cook's Corner and Saddleback Church there are a few sections with large bushes that grow very close to the trail and cut down sight lines. I was not going very fast, thank goodness, but I come around one of those bushes and almost run flat into some dumbass runner who is coming straight at me on the edge of the trail in the WRONG DIRECTION. This is a paved trail that is probably 15' wide at that section with TONS of room. I slammed on my brakes, and did a sketchy fishtail into the middle of the pavement and almost went down - because dumbass was on the wrong side. Had there been any traffic on the other side of the trail he might have caused a head-on collision between two bikes.

Makes ya wonder.

DangerDirtyD and Old&InTheWay like this.
  20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I was riding my Mtb into traffic on the shoulder of the road just before a left turn. This area has enough crazy drivers that I cross when clear.

Anyway, a roady was coming toward us, so I went into the oncoming lane ( no cars) to give her room. Damn! She was furious, yelling and cussing....I didn't hear most of what she said but she looked like she was gonna pop. Very roady like.
    I got a chuckle and said "have a nice ride".

So yeah, I'm guilty of this....:facepalm:;):sneaky::)

DangerDirtyD likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?