Whiting Ranch Closed TIL Further Notice

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by mtnbikej, Feb 26, 2019.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Apparently Whiting got hit really really hard. Mustard Rd is now a canyon.

Instagram Link

2. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    I love it!:laugh::Do_O

Mikie, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  3. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    So much for Thursday's lunch ride through there.

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    :eek:

Mikie, Faust29 and mike like this.
  5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Hey look! It's now classified as a "BLUE" trail! Shred on! :thumbsup:

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Congratulations, the drought is decreasing. :thumbsup:

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Caspers is also closed until further notice...

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Does this area affect the Rwanda ride?

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    No.. whitin is like fully...

Mikie likes this.
  10. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oh..caspers.. yeah that could be problem...

Mikie likes this.
  11. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I was going to say, that’s not a canyon, that’s chunk!

Mikie, scottay, doublewide and 3 others like this.
  12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Maybe all the sand finally washed away?
    (One can hope)

And maybe move the trail out of the creek bottom?

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Gee... who could have guessed that if you plow a fireroad straight down a canyon it might have erosion issues.

The worst thing is that we, as tax-payers, have to pay for this incompetence.

The definition of insanity is to do the same STUPID THING over and over and expect different results.

The sand is there only because the idiots who bulldoze the Mustard fire road create a perfect sluice down the canyon... and then leave a nice 100 yard low spot in the trail where all of the flotsam and jetsam that washes down the fire-road every rainy season settles. It's like a Confederacy of Dunces.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Adding to my prior rant...

Mustard runs right next to the creek. You would think anyone with half a brain cell would cant the fire road so the water runs... wait for it... OFF THE ROAD instead of down the middle. A couple of low water bars, strategically placed, would help move the water into the creek bed... where it could go on its merry way.

Instead... as you can see by @mtnbikej 's photo, the fireroad is plowed as a dead horizontal... with the two sides slightly higher than the middle. What's a liquid to do but follow... gravity? Duh. It's like a f@cking IQ test. So how many $1000's is THIS going to cost us? Just once I would love to have a public hearing before someone starts cutting $10,000 checks in the name of the public to ask:

(1) Who is in responsible?
    (2) Who is accountable?
    (3) Why did this happen?
    (4) How can you guarantee this won't happen again?

f@cking government employees... I'd love to ask "who is going to lose their job" but that is entirely too rational. Incompetence like this is to be expected from the government. Sorry... rant off.

Oaken, Grassblade23, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    By the way... I personally witnessed some dolt in a bulldozer working on Mustard a couple of years ago. You know the saying of how if you have an infinite number of monkeys typing randomly on keyboards, they will eventually create all the works of Shakespeare? One of those monkeys got lost and started driving a bulldozer on Mustard.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Hey @BonsaiNut how many ocparks meetings or subcommittee meetings or oc supervisors meetings do you attend with these grievances?

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    I’m gonna read this one again, thanks!

upload_2019-2-26_19-28-51.jpeg

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I would, but I have a spastic valve... o_O

19. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I fail to see the problem. I see a new trail feature (ducks for cover) :whistling:

20. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    By the way, that’s not a rut, this is a rut

107DA68E-5C6C-40AD-91D2-653F4A7458B4.jpeg

Hostettler fire road in the Verdugos

Oaken, Grassblade23, rossage and 13 others like this.
  21. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    I see what ya did there, nice reference! :thumbsup:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  22. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Can we just build kickers over the gap until they make an official fix?

23. Joe Hartman

Joe Hartman Newbie

Name:
    Joe Hartman
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance Adv
  24. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Guess I'm going to have to start showing up... because it has become clear that to expect people to be marginally competent at what they do with my tax money is asking too much! Sounds like in addition to paying them, I have to manage them as well! Let me ask the question - since you are always defending bulldozers and fire roads - do you think the trail job they are doing in Whiting Ranch is acceptable? If you were the private owner of that land, and you hired a sub-contractor to grade and maintain that road, would you feel they are doing a good job? Or were they doing the crappiest possible job with inexperienced labor that demonstrated they really had no idea what they were doing... but expected you to pay for it anyway?

How many McDonald's shareholder meetings do you attend - in order to point out that your fries are supposed to be hot when you receive them?

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I think Brett's participation in local management groups/meetings speaks more than an answer to a leading question, Greg. We're all on the same team here.

26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Dear OC Parks;

This note references the attached images of trail conditions on Mustard Trail in Whiting Wilderness Park. I was shocked to see the extent of the damage. I am certain that plans are being developed to reverse the trail damage, as well as ensure that damage like this doesn't occur again with each rain.

Since I have personally observed trail work in the past that leads to the same poor outcomes, year after year, I am curious to hear the details of what you plan to do differently this time? I am sure you are aware that to simply regrade the road the same way each time, but expect different outcomes when it rains, is... shall we say... not sound logic.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing about the new changes!

Sincerely;
    Greg from Laguna Hills

P.S. There are some who are suggesting you are just going to send in bulldozers without a plan... but I don't believe them!

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I believe we are all on the same team in our hearts. However we are not always on the same team in our heads. I am very familiar with government bureaucracy and institutional momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if OC Parks continues to bulldoze Mustard the same way, year after year, until they have eroded the hills down to the ocean. I hope I am wrong. But it does get tiring to have to attend meetings to suggest... gee maybe you might want to do something different?

I was instrumental in creating a landscaping committee for our community after witnessing decades of neglect. It took years - and the replacement of our HOA Manager - before we finally were successful. Our community has been devastated by pests and disease that has wiped out hundreds of trees. Our initial goal - to plant 2000 trees. We have 1500 in the ground. We have had to work with Moulton Niguel Water (to get them to landscape around their water tanks), San Diego Gas & Electric (to get them to landscape around their power lines), and the city of Laguna Hills (to get them to landscape the easements along the streets). And we have to do it all in a public fashion, creating plans, getting public input, and getting budget approval and final approval by the board. Had we NOT done this... nothing would have changed... until perhaps all the trees were dead and gone. Institutional inertia... or lack thereof... is a powerful thing.

P.S. A lot of what I type on this site is intended to be sarcasm and humor. I am NOT as worked up about these subjects as I write :) It is good therapy for me to rant online... because I wouldn't do so in real life :) However if I don't rant... who will? Too many people are satisfied with the status quo... even when the status quo sucks.

28. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Whether Whiting Ranch is being managed correctly, I don't know. I ride Whiting once a year maybe, so my only info is second hand (this site, friends, public meetings, etc.). I just wondered whether you had taken these criticisms to the land managers. It seems that now you have.

As for defending bulldozers and fireroads (presumably you are referring to other threads):

There is a difference between dozing a fireroad during an active fire (even and especially if that fireroad has grown over into singletrack, which is one of the issues I think you are referring to), which I believe I have defended as necessary (or at least, unsurprising given the intended use of a fireroad), and dozing a fireroad as part of routine maintenance, which I absolutely believe OC Parks, Fire, Edison, and other relevant authorities at the state and federal level who have jurisdiction over our trails, could do a better job of. I don't believe I have ever defended bulldozers on singletrack.

In fact, my frustration with land management (not specifically bulldozers or re-establishing fireroad) has lead to me being more involved in advocacy for the mountain bike trails I hold dear. If you'd like to become more involved in mountain bike advocacy, and meet some passionate people with lots of knowledge about our trails and the people and agencies that manage them, the next Share board meeting is March 11, we'd love to have you. http://sharemtb.com/event/share-board-meeting-mar-11/

There are also OC Parks meetings and the trails subcommittee meetings (I highly recommend the trails subcommittee if you would like to bring up this Whiting Ranch issue) that the public can attend (info on meeting times and dates available on OC Parks website). There are, I am sure, a variety of other ways to get in touch with and reach out to the appropriate land managers.

It sucks to give up precious free time, especially free time that could be spent riding, to sit at meetings, but if I don't do it...who will?

29. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I may take you up on the SHARE meeting - as soon as they announce the time and location :) The last couple of years my daughter and I have participated in SHARE'S Coastal Cleanup Day in Trabuco Canyon and really enjoyed it! The SHARE folks have been well-organized and extremely friendly.

This Saturday I am going to meet with my local equestrians... and explain why trees are not to be feared if they are kept at least 50 yards from the stables :) We are going to walk a multi-use trail where we have flagged recommendations for tree plantings... and hopefully they will be happy and agree that some trees on an otherwise barren slope would look nice :)

30. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C

I saw that it is at Left Coast Brewery in Irvine; Sand Canyon and Irvine Center Drive. I think 6pm