Whiskey off road

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HBkites, Jan 4, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    MattB, DBMX119, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    To each his own. :confused: Best wishes! :thumbsup:

HBkites and jaime like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Whiskey is fun except for the Skull Canyon Climb ... especially when I did it its was 95+ the following year it was a blizzard!

Faust29, Luis and mtnbikej like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ask @rossage about the Whiskey 50 and blizzards :cool::eek:

Faust29, HBkites and mtnbikej like this.
  5. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I guess @rossage is not going to do it (odds are that the weather will be better).
    Regardless I'll make sure to pack my ski goggles.

I'm going with a few of my ThinkMTB buddies...... It's going to be a fun road trip regardless of the weather condition.

Faust29, rossage and mtnbikej like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    To train for the Whiskey, ride up the road to Holy Jim trailhead as fast as you can. Do not stop, do not slow down.
    When you hit the trail, stop after about 100 meters. Affect a bewildered face. Get on your bike, and hammer, for about 100 meters. Get off and try out your bewildered face. This is practice for the conga line that several hundred riders become on tight trails. Do this until the top, then bomb down Harding for no reason at all, except to turn around and climb it. Go down HJ, except this time, you'll be mid pack with a bunch of shuttlers. Continue the frenetic pace down the road to the finish where someone will give you a pint glass.
    Bad weather makes it even more fun!
    You gotta do it, at least once.

Faust29, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  7. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    So you didn't like it?

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I just think there's probably a better way to start the race than a mass start. The trails, town, festival, and vibe are all top notch. The first time I did it was 20 years ago. I was young enough to be towards the front and it was enjoyable. I did it again a few years ago and it wasn't as enjoyable.
    If I did it again, I would start dead last and cruise it.
    Do it. It will be a great experience. I'm just sarcastically letting you know what's up.
    If you do the 50 miler, and someone offers you chain lube at the bottom of the downhill, use it. Your drivetrain will thank you.

Faust29, UPSed, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  9. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    I just signed up for the 50! Looking forward to it - never done anything like it but it's a bucket list event. Anyone else brave / stupid enough to be considering it as well?!

Faust29, HBkites and mtnbikej like this.
  10. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    There will be hundreds of people there who are "stupid enough" to do it.
    It will be a blast (or a blizzard)

11. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I've been wanting to do this but the timing is wrong for me again this time around :(

TomF and mtnbikej like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Help me understand the attraction to these events which throw hundreds of racers/riders onto singletrack trails for a hefty fee. Is it the camaraderie before and after? Is it having a target so you can "train" for it? Is it the actual racing and riding with a level of fatigue you wouldn't normally expect from yourself?

It just seems hectic to me, with a ton of Type A personalities gathered together comparing BMI.

Faust29 and HBkites like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It's a race.

While many at the back of the pack may treat it as a survive finish....many are racing.

It also sag supported so people are more likely to attend than just go out on their own.

There is something alluring about riding in a pack....everyone is there for the same common goal.

If you are an introvert, these kinds of events are a good way to make you more social. If you are an extrovert....these kinds of events just mean 100's of new people to socialize with.

Luis, Faust29, bvader and 4 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What you just described is a weekend at Aliso.

Luis, tortoise, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sounds like a flock of seagulls looking at a pizza crust - "Mine!" Or a pack of surfers all competing for the same wave - for a fee.

Faust29, mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I realize the humor there, but to be clear, the hectic-ness of Aliso on a weekend morning is primarily with the number of runners, hikers and other trail users gathered together at the same time. It is hectic, but it's not an intentionally organized competition.

If you want to avoid the hectic, start after 11 am.

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That actually sounds ideal...sleep in and ride mid-day, or fart around the house after breakfast and go ride whenever you get around to it.

Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Way different. The hill doesn't go away as does a particular wave, or crumb, so no need to stab the other guy in the neck.

And even in a race there are plenty of folks willing to help out. Or at least commiserate on their way by. :thumbsup:

Luis, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sounds like every XC race ever done. :D

I would love to ride those trails, but I think I'll wait and do them on my own.

20. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Here is my rationale,

It is a chance to travel with a few of my friends to a new location (try getting 5-10 guys to agree on a date and location, and not cancel).

Ride a trail I never road before. I'm expecting a memorable experience. This year I'm traveling to St. Goerge Utah, Prescot Az, and Carson City Nv. Without those events, I'll probably wouldn't make it to all those places in one year.

Push myself to my limit (endorphin rush).

Get my kid away from the OC, and their XBox. Sign him up for the kid ride, and try to explain to him that he should have enjoyed himself even tho he didn't "dominate".

The spring events help keeps me motivated in the dark winter. The fall event keeps me riding in the hot summer.

I often ask myself why am I doing it (like this morning at 6 am when the temp was around 35F). My best answer is " this is so much better than one more hour of sleep"

Luis, MattB, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I have done a number of endurance events in a variety of disciplines... (running, roadie, mtb, triathlon)

For me I like have a target to get ready for, I can say more than once I have enjoyed the training more than the event.

I am a MOP'r for sure in all categories ... I absolutely love the camaraderie and "coopetition" on the long events especially in the middle of the pack working together and / or trying to drop each other at the same time.

I love the whole destination thing even though I get stressed about it..

And of course pushing one's self for the self satisfaction of it all. (and occasional bragging rights)

The Whiskey Panic'd log jam is something to behold and survive ... but I would say a Mass Swim or Bike Start is also equal parts fun and survival, Tri Transition zones can be comedy or tragedy zone... it all about the adventure, getting out of the comfort zone, and then of course ... the food, drink and nap :)

Luis, HBkites, MattB and 5 others like this.
  22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Cause it's fun that why we do it. Fun to some isn't fun to others.

Luis, HBkites, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I did a couple of XC races in the early 90s. I definitely pushed myself harder than I ever did while recreational riding. And, I liked being able to watch the likes of Overend, Furtado, Grewal, Wiens, Tomac, Juarez, et al before or after my "race." I was totally a fish out of water however in my equipment, my preparation, my "kit" and my conversation. I suppose if I would have been good at it, or if I were surrounded by like-minded people during my recreational rides, I might have done more of it. Fact is, I have never had much of a distance engine or mind-set. Ask my wife... oh wait - please don't. :oops:

So now, I cannot imagine spending the time or money to go hurry through some awesome trails and scenery frustrated at myself or others the entire time, and staring at someone else's wheels instead of seeing the actual trail (I know, I should be in front to see the trail).

Thanks all for responding about why you like to do it. Good read. And like @slomosapien said - what's fun to some isn't fun to others.

:thumbsup:

24. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    It's not how long you ride but the number of inches of travel you get from your suspension.

25. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    I’m doing the Whiskey 50 later this month and looking forward to it. For me it’s the sense of occasion – having something to work towards and train for (the training for this made me a faster rider all round which is awesome), plus the sense of camaraderie as everyone takes on their own personal challenge whether they’re going for a podium or just trying to finish.

Plus of course it’s a whole MTB festival in the town so it’ll be cool to be surrounded by like minded folks talking bikes.

As a Brit who’s never been to Arizona, me and the wife are making a roadtrip out of it too – Prescott, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Vegas, with a bit of biking at each stop (well maybe not Vegas lol!) so it’s also provided a great excuse for a bit of an adventure.

26. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Psssst...Vegas is in Nevada. Just sayin' :whistling::laugh:

herzalot likes this.
  27. TomF

TomF Member

Name:
    Tom
    Thanks yeah I figured that. It's kinda on the way back so I thought why the hell not!

Runs with Scissors likes this.