Where to vaca & ride in Oregon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redwoods, Jan 20, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    (Don't know if this should go here, or in some other forum.)

Looking for recommendations for where to stay in Oregon in June. We're already searching VRBO, etc., but I'd like to hear from any experience. Here's what we'd like:
    • Prefer vacation rental instead of hotel
    • Right on water (river or lake)
    • As "woodsie" as possible
    • Variety of things to do for the whole family (I'm the only one who rides)
    • A place to rent a quality bike (I don't want to have to fly with mine)
    • Sweet, sweet trails, either pedally, lift-served, or shuttle-served
    Any suggestions?

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Faust29 seems to visit there often enough. I'm sure he will chime in.

redwoods, Faust29 and mike like this.
  3. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Oakridge is a blast for riding and I believe the shop rents bikes but maybe not much for the family. Bend might be the better choice for you. Great riding plus more for the family to do.

HBkites, redwoods, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    +1 on Bend for family stuff. And you can check out Crater Lake on the way up or back. Or maybe a loop, because the forests and rivers on the west side of the Cascades are amazing.

redwoods, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I don't know much about other areas, but Bend is pretty fun. Good restaurants, brewery tour, river float, lava tube to explore, miles and miles of trails. We stay here, which is kind of out of town, but they have several pools, shuffleboard, etc for the kids. Right above the Deschuttes. And miles of trails literally out the back door. They rent bikes on site, I don't know how good they are. About every bike shop in town rents. $1 PBRs at the restaurants. It's paradise.

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
  7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I totally get lost in that town... for some reason I can't quite mentally pick up on the layout. Roundabouts are rad though.

redwoods, Faust29 and mike like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've ridden up there three times, and it's been in the Oakridge area all three times... Mainly because it's 45 minutes from the University in Eugene, and I usually only get one day. You can't go wrong with Oakridge. It's a small town with good food, and they are very friendly to mountain bikers. The mercantile rents bikes, and they are a pretty cool Santa Cruz and Ibis shop. Pick up a map or borrow mine, and also download the "MTB Project" app on your phone and download "Oregon". That thing saved my butt a few times on the longer route. The shuttle is across the street from the bike shop, and a couple hundred yards to the west on the main drag.

The crown jewel of the area is the Alpine Trail, where the womens' enduro was held not too long ago. It was also part of the Trans Cascade race recently. Megan from the Path won her category in the enduro, so if you drop in there, you can ask her about it. We usually stay in Eugene to be close to the kid, but we have stayed at the Best Western in Oakridge. Nothing special... But the diner across the street is awesome. So is the BBQ place next door. Buy a beer, get a piece of brisket... Both places aren't always open, though. Funny schedules...

As far as Bend... I've never been there. While I was riding, though, my wife and oldest offspring went to Bend and also Crater Lake. They recommend both...

One thing about riding in Oregon... Be ready for any type of weather. The top of the mountain was snowed in in June and it was freezing the entire day. With the proper clothing, it's a blast. Without it, it would be a rough day. Assume that it will rain hard at some point in your ride.

Ride Reports:

Sep. 2016
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/alpine-trail-oakridge-oregon.5131/

June 2017
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/thr...-mountain-cloverpatch-alpine.6193/#post-91041

Sep. 2017
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/a-t-c-a-round-two.6551/#post-101563

9. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    Haha I'm familiar with roundabouts - there are a bunch in AZ (Prescott and Sedona). Thanks for the heads-up.

Faust29, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  10. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I'm also heading to OR this summer with the family. We're visiting my sister in Portland and then planning a week long road trip south. I'd like to stay somewhere inland a few days, maybe MacKenzie River? and then somewhere coastal a few days, before returning to Portland.

So I appreciate the feedback in this thread! Riding is good, but any great family vacation sites are welcome.

redwoods, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?