where to ride after rain?

Crystal cove/laguna/ el moro is closed for the weekend.
Any suggestions on where to ride tomarrow?
You think whiting luge will be rideable??

fully was muddy mess.
Whiting : no go.
Maples Springs/motorway-probably best choice. high creek crossings. a few soft spots on main divide on way to motorway, probably.
Harding-probably ok, softs spots lower down
joplin-possible trail damage/blowdowns from storm
STT out and back, could be mostly ok, especially past luge, but a couple bogs hard to get around before luge split. id still avoid.
Luge: probably real muddy in that one spot, Id avoid.
Holy jim: trail should be ok, its all loam or DG. except for possible washouts. High creek crossings. not sure if road has any damage though.
San juan-safe bet at least higher up and fun when tacky, most busy option. Maybe start at top and do a couple loops on viejo tie-see below
Lower Chiquito-all DG so trail should be ok, where I go when too wet everywhere else. But-possible impassable creek crossing at the split from san juan loop trail.
Upper chiquito/viejo tie: tacky dirt but Possible (probable?) tree blowdowns
Wait till Sunday to give it one more day to dry and look for reports of Saturdays trail conditions first ? :)
if I could ride tomorrow id just do maple springs out and back as far as i felt
Up until 2018 west horsethief/trabuco was my go-to after rain ride:(

Maples Springs/motorway-probably best choice. high creek crossings. a few soft spots on main divide on way to motorway, probably.
STT out and back, could be mostly ok, especially past luge, but a couple bogs hard to get around before luge split. id still avoid.
Holy jim: trail should be ok, its all loam or DG. except for possible washouts. High creek crossings. not sure if road has any damage though.
San juan-safe bet at least higher up and fun when tacky, most busy option. Maybe start at top and do a couple loops on viejo tie-see below
Lower Chiquito-all DG so trail should be ok, where I go when too wet everywhere else. But-possible impassable creek crossing at the split from san juan loop trail.
Wait till Sunday to give it one more day to dry and look for reports of Saturdays trail conditions first ? :)
Hey @Obsidian , how about we ride San Juan!? Zero traffic when the cool kids come out to play!

Sycamore behind Jensens Riverside is the best after the rains. Like no mud amazing. The Luge is a snotty mess when wet, needs a couple days. With as much rain as we got the troughs climbing up San Juan will be slooooopy for a couple days.

Gary's post is spot on!

If the gate is still closed Maple Springs will be a great place to ride but you would have to get there real early to find parking.

Last edited:
Mt High. All trails at West open. All trails at East open (best choice for long runs and no crowds). Soft snow. Great coverage. Blue skies. All roads open with no restrictions.

Oh that's right, most of you confine yourselves to one sport. Oh well. Have fun on your pavement rides! :thumbsup:

Space Mountain and Dos Vientos.

Dos Vientos on Thursday. That clean looking tire is at mile 13. Amazing hero dirt

IMG_5738.jpeg

IMG_5737.jpeg

tour of orange county with side loop to Long Beach!
so did you ever see the green turtles congregating on the edison power plant discharge on the san gabriel?
I thought I was seeing things but saw them more than a few times... and a sea lion too...

One of my other activities is SUP, mostly in harbors. See sea lions very often. Have also seen sea turtles in Huntington Harbor a number of times.

any trail conditions reports from anywhere today?:)
Harding is fine, anything in the shadows above the 5 mile marker is frozen. Still some waterfalls near the top.
Joplin is awesome, snow and frozen dirt at the top, plenty of water in the stream. Rain ruts in all the right places and the rock gardens are back to their usual sketchy goodness.
Luge has a few slippery/muddy spots in the top third in the usual places. There's been a couple of slides, neither of them are in bad spots, one just before the switchback and rollers at the bottom may have even made the trail better.

Harding is fine, anything in the shadows above the 5 mile marker is frozen. Still some waterfalls near the top.
Joplin is awesome, snow and frozen dirt at the top, plenty of water in the stream. Rain ruts in all the right places and the rock gardens are back to their usual sketchy goodness.
Luge has a few slippery/muddy spots in the top third in the usual places. There's been a couple of slides, neither of them are in bad spots, one just before the switchback and rollers at the bottom may have even made the trail better.
Sounds like someone did Harding-Joplin-luge. Nice!

Update on the Luge spied Jim's truck (@kioti) parked up there this afternoon. I guess he's working his magic while everyone watches these padded up princesses mince around in Vegas.

So I did maple springs to 4 corners and avoided all wet mud past Saturday. But took a special friend along….,my corgi dog!!! She was great and walked ran all the way to 4 corners…. 8 miles up!! She had a blast!!! Then at the top e got blasted by wind and cold. Views to kill. Wind was killing us. His behind a bush. Gave her some treats. Put her in the backpack for downhill. Hey her little corgi legs needed a break. Threw the backpack over and wam. Threw out my back! Arg. The downhill was torture. Felt every bump in the back. The dog was all smiles. What a great day out w man s best friend.

IMG_3313.jpeg

Back