Where my night riders at?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazlx, Nov 6, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Don't get me wrong....the rain usually doesn't stop us, especially for MS/MW, but @Faust29 already made other plans for Weds.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... Rain can be therapeutic up there with the right gear.

But I have the chance to do something really dumb during the day.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Oh, do tell!

4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    So, throw us newbie wet riders a bone? I got a kick ass jacket that the network gave me. What's next

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a bunch of mid weight stuff- windbreakers, Pearl gloves, vest, etc...

But my essentials for really bad weather are:
    • Showers Pass gloves- they say waterproof, but they will eventually let water in. I've worn them into the 20s and they have been awesome, even when wet. As I descend and the temps rise, I don't get clammy hands and can wear them back to the bottom. I will probably pick up another pair this year. I've also started carrying a few pair of the rubber gloves I keep in the garage to work on the bikes. They go nicely under any gloves to add a water barrier.
    • Waterproof socks- I bought Gore socks last year which are more like wet suit boots. They need a wool layer underneath for warmth, but they keep all of the moisture out. I have no problem getting that combo into my regular shoes.
    • Showers Pass jacket- I have a heavier one that is quite warm. It keeps the water out and can be worn down into the 20s comfortably.
    • A gaiter or balaclava of some sort for the descents.
    • I have waterproof Gore pants, but I usually just go with normal riding shorts and my Pearl leg warmers. I've found that I'm good with that down into the low 30s. My core is what I really need to keep warm and dry.
    • A Headsweat with ear flaps. This is one of the best damn things I've ever bought... I'll pick up a spare this year.

What I want to add this year:
    • I kept watching the sales last year, but couldn't find a good deal on waterproof riding shoes. My waterproof socks filled the void, but the shoes would be a better long term solution. Shimano most likely.
    • A lighter waterproof jacket for rains at higher temps. My heavy jacket is too much for the 50s and there have been rides that I just wear the windbreaker in light rain- especially for climbing.

I pack everything (and spares) in 1 gallon Ziploc bags. There's been quite a few times that I swap out or add gloves, socks, Headsweat, etc. at Four Corners. I try to keep the bags organized, so I can find what I need in the dark.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

If it’s raining and cold, a solid rain jacket is the biggest piece. Better if it has a good. I wish mine did.

From there, waterproof gloves.

Then waterproof socks.

If it’s raining a lot, waterproof pants.

As with any ride in the cold, it’s all about the layers.

Showerspass makes some really nice rain gear. It’s generally not cheap, especially this time of year.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Steve, you can keep your feet dry but wrapping them in those one gallon ziploc baggies. That was an old cheater trick we would use when fishing in the rain. One of the guys would also make a rain jacket out of a huge hefty bag. It was custom fitted with duct tape.

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Wonder Bread bags were the best...Every day before the end of school, the teacher would end 10 minutes early so all the kids could get their bags and boots on. That was just to get to the bus. :laugh:

The plastic bag trick works in a pinch, but doesn't provide any breathability. The professor learned that the hard way last year.

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I knew the SS Dynamic Duo (@Faust29 & @mtnbikej ) would come through. Thanks yo!
    My jacket is bike specific w/ a hood made to go over the helmet. Now to find some socks and possibly pants.

10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... Those Gore socks are pretty good. :D

Testing 1, 2, 3...
    IMG_1258.jpeg

Cyclotourist, mike, Stkx66 and 8 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    We've seen this pic before....:Roflmao

13. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Last year I rode with someone (maybe Professor) and the bags filled up with water in the first couple miles up Maple Springs. Good for some laughs but not much else as I remember. I like to pack extra gloves and socks into ziploc bags and pull them out as absolutely needed. However, if the shoes are soaked new socks only last for couple minutes but feel nice in those first dry moments. There are "waterproofing" sprays that can be used on an old pair of gloves to prevent complete soakage for a little while. Otherwise, I just end up thinking of the dry clothes and tacos waiting for me after the good times playing in the rain.

14. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Any Columbia or North Face type light rain jacket with hood works for me too. Big hood with draw strings for those over the helmet times.

Top of this ride was snowing with a mix of sleet and rain the rest of way down.
    5E213FC1-C5C5-4375-8291-5B4CEBAA121A.jpeg

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 11 others like this.
  15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Jelly, I ride Space Mtn at night, nobody out there but me and the Cats. I consider the Luge East Space. Do you climb the luge at night?
    happy night trails. awwhoooo

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I wouldn't climb the Luge during the day... Or ever. It's more of a one way trail... Well, at least it was until the advent of the e-bike. :gag:

The climb to get to the Luge is STT (Santiago Truck Trail). It used to be a fire road, but has deteriorated to mostly single/double track. The loop is only 7 miles and is very popular at night. Last year @mtnbikej and I hit it on the same night as a group ride, and there must have been 25 people out there. :confused: We usually see no-one on the larger Maple-Motorway loop.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  17. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    But I go braille sometimes. Sometimes with the almost full moon (easy), some times with the new moon (not so much). I feel it helps my skills although it is much slower but when the lights fail it is good to have those skills. Really good to have those skills, I know from experience
    happy night trails in the dark

Danmtchl, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  18. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Like mentioned. I never climb actual Luge and IMO, it's just dumb to ever climb it. There's nothing to really gain to climb it. STT is still a good enough climb and you'd really just be risking hurting yourself and someone descending. I almost had a head on with a few guys climbing it at night years ago and needless to say we had some words.

I'd really like to do the Maple-Motorway. I was at Luge a bit ago on a Weds, and didn't see another soul.

Danmtchl, mike, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This week was the anomaly... Hopefully we're back on track next Wednesday for a night ride.

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Might want to look at the long range forecast...40% - 50% chance of rain next Wednesday through Saturday. For RSM:
    upload_2019-11-20_18-24-48.png

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maple-Motorway is doable in the rain... Whether or not the rider has the required fortitude is another story. :p

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 6 others like this.
  22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm riding today with my buddy Dean on Maple Springs. Since he is just starting out, I can be guaranteed that the paved section will be clean :) Then we can ride a little bit on the dirt, if he feels up to it. The climbs still cause him a lot of grief, but he is definitely getting there.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The CNF alert page shows that the gate is closed. I hope that's accurate... :thumbsup: The Bedford gate is also closed.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I just topped off some of my missing rain gear.

new jacket, waterproof gloves and socks, and a pair of waterproof pants.

bring on the rain.

25. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I have an inquiry out with my secret spy man to see if the Maple Springs gate is closed. I'm waiting for a response.

26. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    My secret spy man said he doesn't know if the Maple Springs gate is closed. Call the forest service office. So much for my secret spy man:cool:

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd bet money it's closed... They have an itchy trigger finger now with weather, and until recently the page showed it as open.

28. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    San Juan last night. 11.6 is so delicious.

40865C4D-5EA8-4836-9FAB-1BDC6EB11921.jpeg

Derek13, Faust29, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    DUUUUUDE!
    post up the next time you going. UNLESS you like riding alone.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  30. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    This was a group ride with some San Diego boys that we do every year for my buddy's bday. Definitely need to start getting out. I really liked the Gloworm lights. I ran that on my helmet with my old L&M lights on my bars still. Need to come up with a better mounting solution for the helmet but it worked. I will probably end up with a second Gloworm for the bars. Made such a big difference having both lights.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Redman and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?