Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In other words you are liberal and want to convert conservatives to liberals, is that right?
    Please, no offense, but looking for a conclave of like minded people is what most people do. Trying very hard not to be insulting so talking in general terms, California has gotten stupid and I’m tired of stupid, and want to be surrounded with conservative values and restore some common sense in my environment...

I know that may not make sense to some, but when you have experience the degradation of society, family values, and the growing negative outlook of God in general, I’m ready to run away and watch the implosion from afar. Does that help put it in perspective? :)

Faust29, OTHRider, Maddog and 7 others like this.
  2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Well, yes and no. It was more a discussion of places we thought of moving, for instance north Carolina, and that we probably would be in a minority. It was less about going in as liberal missionaries, and more like, well maybe we in the end of people like us went, it would be more.. Balanced... I understand what many of you are saying, just talking Sh!t really... I think both sides and everyone in between keep each other in check.

As far as parties go , you can keep them both...

Republicans stand for
    Greed, corruption, bigotry, and war
    While Democrats
    Pretend to feel guilty about
    Greed, corruption, bigotry and war
    And don't forget pollution.

As far as liberalism causing a decline of society...I understand you have your opinions and see things that maybe I don't, but there far more liberal places than here, that have a much higher standard of living with far less crime and overall happier population...

As the above song lyrics I shared illustrated...I doubt either liberal or conservative government is a far apart on the political s spectrum as many feel...

Case in point...
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/images/us2012.png

Both sides have a lot of blow hards that make a lot of noise and give false impressions...

In the end..thanks for sharing your perspective..I value it, and thank you for sharing.

Ps.
    I am"liberal", probably around-8,-8 on the above compass..... Am I still allowed to display an imtbtrails sticker if I get one?:D

3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    PM me your address and I will send one to you personally. :)

If you want to discus the above any further to understand what my definition of Conservative is outside of political parties, you can PM me as well. You may be surprised yourself. :thumbsup:
    But I will not discuss on the public forum beyond this...;)

Faust29, Maddog, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    They are both very green, beautiful states and to be honest, I could be happy living in either one of them but my wife didn't want to deal with the rain. She's not a fan. It doesn't bother me since I know all that rain is what created all that green, the stunningly beautiful rivers and knockout lakes. It also made the best soil on the planet (that I've experienced) for me to ride my bike. There's nothing like it. Like anywhere, both states have their pluses and minuses.

Faust29, Maddog, kioti and 6 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I did exactly that last year as well....drove thru Ridgway after a riding trip to CB. Ridgway in the Summer blew me away but I knew w/o even having to look online that I didn't want to be there all Winter. I did check the real estate listings though and also realized it ain't cheap.

Faust29, Maddog, kioti and 5 others like this.
  6. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I think I’ve posted this before but I generally concur with its assessment.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/natural-amenities-scale/

From the website:”The scale was constructed by combining six measures of climate, topography, and water area that reflect environmental qualities most people prefer. These measures are warm winter, winter sun, temperate summer, low summer humidity, topographic variation, and water area. ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ked-by-natural-beauty/?utm_term=.37c3fae9b03b

Faust29, OTHRider, Maddog and 6 others like this.
  7. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’m with you brothah:thumbsup:

Maddog, kioti, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If you did post it. I missed it. Thanks for re-posting! That's pretty cool and very interesting!

Danmtchl, Maddog, kioti and 2 others like this.
  9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'll buy that except all that green in Florida. Absolutely my least favorite state so far with the most horrendous humidity, the largest individual human population (exact opposite of Whistler) and every body of water has something that's sole goal is to kill you. I guess it does have warm Winter's which is acceptable if you don't get eaten by an alligator, shark or giant boa during the sweltering Summer season.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Maddog and 6 others like this.
  10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I agree with TOO much rain getting old. We may look into Eastern WA, we can handle some snow now and then..but need to do more research re climate. For some reason OR doesn’t appeal to me, but my hubby likes it.
    Hopefully we’re still on this imtbtrails forum and can find out where we all end up:D

Faust29, Danmtchl, Maddog and 5 others like this.
  11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you want to get nerdy, the website includes the raw data. The group of high scoring counties has a big spread in total scores. All of the top 10 counties are in California, it ranks Ventura highest...go figure.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Maddog and 5 others like this.
  12. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Those side tipping roads always gives me the willies. I have thought about inventing a cool counter weight that would project starboard and port with the touch of a joystick. I have never seen anyone go over like that but those do increase the pucker factor exponentially

Faust29, Danmtchl, kioti and 4 others like this.
  13. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    We have a house in Austin that we'll likely end up in but as a So-Cal "Snow flake," I don't understand all of the ire. I know life is expensive. I know things aren't perfect but I do love OC/LA in spite of the unchecked development and absurd population growth. It's a love it or leave it mindset for me. Granted, I love ATX and I've pitched Detroit and NOLA to my wife. We're not yet 40 and we have some mobility but our son only wants to live in L.A.
    We've already looked at places in NOLA, Idyllwild and Detroit. I like the idea of an early investment but my wife is happy with our ATX option.
    I like the idea of Boise as well.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    NOLA, Idyllwild and Detroit all in the same sentence? First time in my life I've seen that. The last of my family just moved out of Austin in 2017....and went to Durango. My Dad was born in Austin in 1931 so I have family all over the state. Austin is a great place...other than the horrendous traffic and being the Berkeley of Texas.

15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'll most likely stay right where I'm at now. A comfortable house, neighborhood near downtown I can walk to. Hour+ drive to Big Bear. Hour and a half to San Clemente. Metrolink to L.A. Prop 13 limits on the housing taxes. A good air-conditioner. Need more bike storage space, but what can you do.

16. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Greg and I are both from NOLA and have discussed living there, however, the outdoor activities are somewhat limited. We have friends and family there that are a draw and you can't go wrong with the food. Between the hospitality and the food NOLA wins hands down.

17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    If my son moves back this will be my plan also.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I did a ski trip once through New Mexico, Colorado and Utah before heading back to Mammoth. Crested Butte was by far the coldest place I've ever skied. The best powder happened to be at Santa Fe Ski Basin. And my favorite place to ski and live remained Mammoth.

I was so impressed with Durango I went through it twice (on a summer trip to see my brother in Georgetown). Probably everything I'm looking for, but maybe a little hectic? Poncha Springs and Salida were really nice and could possibly coax me east of the Divide..

tick, Danmtchl, mike and 8 others like this.
  19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Looks like you’ve had some great adventures!:thumbsup: Sweet!

tick, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Downtown Durango is hectic during tourist season, holidays and anytime there’s a special event going on. Part of that is because 99% of visitors only know one way through town. The locals work their way around it and if you live in the core, you can bike everywhere anyway It has a lot going on for sure and plenty to keep you active but for its size, Crested Butte, Telluride and Breckenridge all have a better downtown vibe and better restaurants IMO, especially CB.

Danmtchl, mike, Maddog and 5 others like this.
  21. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Im just bummed that our president is linked with adult film stars...
    I dont even know what to say to my teenage daughter...
    Liberal or conservative.. i long for the days of bush and clinton.. when there were some aspest of respect and decency...

Time to ride!
    I love this site bc its about mtbking!

22. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Haha! Misadventures might be a better description.. o_O

First trip was a quick FOMO tour of a few resorts I'd heard about (obviously missing a bunch of great ones..). I converted my little Volvo 122S into an RV by removing the passenger and rear seats and making a combo ski storage sleeping platform. :eek: Either slept in the car or stayed with friends, and hit Santa Fe Ski Basin, Taos, Crested Butte, Vail, Aspen, Alta, and Brighton (backcountry); then back to Mammoth. Almost ended the trip on Day 2 by nearly skiing off an unmarked cliff at Santa Fe SB! It was dumping and I probably wouldn't of been found until the next summer..

Second trip was because my brother and his wife "retired" from Huntington Beach to Georgetown, Co. They bought an old Victorian and wanted help painting it. We looked at "Painted Ladies" books every night and ended up with an eleven color, color scheme! :thumbsup: I was actively looking at properties along the way, but the housing crunch took away any equity I could've tapped for the move. The value came back but some neighbors sued the Association over slope/settling issues. :bang: That's supposedly resolved and it's game on once again!

23. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    American politics is a soap opera (I was going to say Kabuki theater, but that's surely disrespectful to a Japanese art form). The internet hasn't helped, and I'm really saddened by the outright hostility and lack of respect for differing points of view.

Can we please hold on to our freedoms and not screw up this amazing country?

tick, konakc, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  24. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I think that's a statement we can all agree on.

25. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    What else are people going to talk about. The moderator and a few others would be bored to death if there wasnt drama.:whistling:

26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    My favorite Pres was the one that got his cigar smoked in the Whitehouse. Again they are all D bags. Find something else to fill you time with. Politics suck and always will. Keep it to yourselves if you really have to follow it. Many of us would appreciate it.

27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I agree that there is generally no good that can come from discussing politics. Even with like minded individuals. That being said, at least this is the "Free Zone" where I guess it's the most appropriate.

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ahh... My adopted home of 15 years. You describe it perfectly, but you forgot the hurricanes and tornados! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

As a school administrator during the Clinton years, let me tell you just how much fun it was hearing the school kids say, "Blowjobs aren't sex. The president says so!"

And at that time, it was school district policy to notify parents whenever we suspected that a kid was having sex. Those were some fun phone calls... And don't get me going on the cigar calls.

30. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It's great to see so many differing views here, and yet everyone remains respectful. True community.

For the most part, I try to limit preaching my views and keep it bike and life related. Hopefully you can all forgive me for the derail :geek:.
    A short moment of honesty, when I moved he I joined a local Facebook group that was for the most part informative (bike related). However the moderator was very strongly opinionated, so much so that certain members were beginning to be harassed of they some an opposing view. I chose to simply leave the group, not because I had different views, but because it lacked community.

What I'm trying to say is, you are all awesome.

tick, Danmtchl, Danimal and 10 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?