Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I agree with you, actually, but I fantasize about how to manage non-contributors, and I’m afraid it wouldn’t be humane.

BonsaiNut, OTHRider and Mikie like this.
  2. akmoney

akmoney Member

Name:
    Andrew
    It looks like Proposition 19 from the 2020 election passed. This means people 55 and older can take their property tax base with them anywhere in the state. I wonder how this might change the retirement location equation for folks? I've still got a ways to go before I hit the double nickel but this could definitely affect my decision, assuming there isn't a future ballot proposition enacted that could otherwise destroy Proposition 13 as we know it.

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  3. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    One thing to be aware of in the text of the proposition: (2) For purposes of this subdivision: (A) For any transfer of taxable value to a replacement primary residence of equal or lesser value than the original primary residence, the taxable value of the replacement primary residence shall be deemed to be the taxable value of the original primary residence. (B) For any transfer of taxable value to a replacement primary residence of greater value than the original primary residence, the taxable value of the replacement primary residence shall be calculated by adding the difference between the full cash value of the original primary residence and the full cash value of the replacement primary residence to the taxable value of the original primary residence.

See: https://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2020/general/pdf/topl-prop19.pdf for full text of Prop. 19.

4. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I believe that in order the succeed in the retainment game one must have a plan.

When I finally retire I'll look back at 2020 as the year that I put my plan into action.
    I'm exited about 2021 and beyond...

Faust29, Stkx66, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. akmoney

akmoney Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Yep, and in fact this is one of the best parts of the proposition. It allows for an upgrade without having to completely give up the goods!

6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Should also be noted that one must apply for the benefit, it is not automatic. And if one fails to claim, there is a one year period to make it up.

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Most likely Arizona. Maybe Prescott area. CA is just too expensive and crowded for me these days. I’m stuck here for a while and then I’m out. For what I spend to live here comfortably I’d be without worry in many other places. I’d give up convenience for less people and open spaces any day of the week.

Faust29 and Stkx66 like this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yes there are certainly non-contributors out there, and I don't have a lot of patience for them. But I view the world through "successful" glasses. I had some seriously sketchy years growing up when things could have turned out very differently, but the Army saved my life and I got my act together. When I try to think of what makes this country great, I think of hard compassion. We want to care for people who can't care for themselves, but we don't want to waste our effort or resources on people who won't care for themselves. Sadly I see many many people who can take care of themselves, but who are too used to the government providing a way of life that they will ever leave a cycle of dependence on government hand-outs.

But I can bitch about it... or I can work for positive change. Down the road from where we now live in NC is a large orphanage. Right now no volunteer activities due to coronavirus, but once things settle down I hope to volunteer to tutor. A Northwestern MBA has to be good for something :)

Walleye, kingaucho, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Sweet! Good for you! I got a Master’s Degree through the California Community Property Law when I got married. No one seems to recognize it though, particularly my wife.
    Do you think it would do America good if military service were mandatory for all young adults? Sometimes I imagine what it would be like to go to war alongside some of my coworkers, and I shudder.

10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    No I don't think military service should be mandatory. Just going to say that for many people the military is a sorting out process, and only a small percentage of the voluntary enlistees are really cut out for it.

However I like the idea of two years of "community service" similar to what they do in Germany (at least when I lived there). You could do military service, you could choose non-military alternatives, or (at least when I was there) you could move to West Berlin and shelter in place for two years and hope the Cold War didn't turn "hot" :) But the whole point was to get people to think they were giving two years to Germany in turn for Germany providing for them later on. I am worried that that is what is missing in the USA. People think that they are born here and are "owed" benefits... without giving of themselves in return.

Walleye, kingaucho, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Agree, coming from a military family (Dad, son and daughters were all Officers), mandatory service is a bad idea. The have enough issues with people that voluntarily joined. Could you imagine see the damage inflicted by forcing the douche bag ANTIFA type into the service. They are worthless to begin with and would purposely wreak havoc.

ausace, DangerDirtyD and OTHRider like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Makes sense. No more continents to dump undesirable groups, so maybe they could be certified hazwopers for artificial disasters. Lotsa places would have work.

13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Those damn antifa really F@cked up wwII.....:whistling:

SOVJOA6YFJEETFB63T6KVEQ4HU.jpg

Mikie, Walleye, TwoWheel Eric and 2 others like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    WTF are you talking about? ANTIFA didn't exist in WWII. ANTIFA does not = a certain age group/millennial. ANTIFA is a terrorist organization.

Mikie and JordanHMay like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Every now and then I read something that makes me wonder what planet the poster came from :) I can't even respond because I have no idea what point they were trying to make :) No hate towards @Derkderkall ... but what the hell dude :)

Mikie likes this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    See Nazi Germany was a fascist dictatorship and the people who fought against them were...
    oh never mind.

I’m just glad they were successful.

17. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It's a joke gentlemen.
    The Nazis were fascists......

The allies were fighting them....

Anti
    Fascist..

Tough crowd

18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Gotcha. I still think we're talking apples and oranges. I know there are people out there who like to call anyone they disagree with a Nazi, but to me it just reveals their ignorance of history. Let me tell you - go live in Germany for a bit and you will see Nazi Germany is not a joke.

Using violence as a way to protest against people who use violence? And you get to decide who gets to be on the receiving end of your violence? To me it is strictly vigilantism writ large. The only thing worse than pretentious idiots is violent pretentious idiots. Doesn't matter what they "stand for". We have government for a reason.

Mikie, Robbie, Derkderkall and 2 others like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    For a second there, I thought this thread was about retirement. o_O

ausace, Walleye, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  20. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I'm going to retire myself from this dialogue before I get myself in trouble.....

Probably should cancel my upcoming comedy gigs too.....

OTHRider, Danimal, Walleye and 5 others like this.
  21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Thanks

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Some of us still have a long road ahoe...

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    It wouldn't be IMTBTRAILS if we didn't somehow get a Nazi derail :)

Fortunately, I was prevented from sticking more of my foot in my mouth by 22 miles and 2200 feet of flowy single track through the fall trees with my buddy Steve. Now I return to this thread and wonder "what were we talking about again?" :)

24. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    NW Arkansas...
    Who would have thought. I never did.
    According to most U.S. Cost of Living Indexes, Arkansas comes in as number one as the least expensive state to live within.
    1. Because of the 2008 financial crash, "Cost of Living" rates number one for Cathy and I, whether we like it or not.
    2. Location, location, location... We are both country folk. Both raised in the country, want to stay in the country, and want to be in a location that resonates common sense and safety. Imagine a place where you can leave your key in your car and the car and house are unlocked. There is approximately 3 million in the entire state of Arkansas.
    3. Mountain Biking rated as Number 3 on our priority list. So we were constantly comparing location to trail access. As many know, I am more a wilderness adventure rider by heart. Arkansas has that.
    4. Water Sports is number 4. Kayaking has been so far off our radar for so long that it's time to bring it back on board.
    5. Weather. The only real downfall to Arkansas is hot weather and potentially bugs (mosquito's). With over 285 sunny days (plus) and an actual 4 seasons. Much of Arkansas is humid in the summer. However, Huntsville is relatively drier and our location is relatively mosquito free.
    5 minutes is Upper and Lower Wharton Creek from the house for fly fishing.
    20 minutes to War Eagle Creek (By California standards is more a river) for fishing and kayaking offering 23 miles of float down the river. There is also a mountain bike agility loop in Huntsville.
    35 Minutes away is Ponca with both a Mountain Bike Park and the Buffalo National River for fishing and Kayaking.
    48 Minutes away is Pension Mountain, Mountain Bike Park
    52 minutes away is Upper Buffalo Head Waters Mountain Bike Park
    53 Minutes away is Hobbs State Park a huge Mountain Bike Park, along with the White River and one of the largest reservoirs in Arkansas... yup Beaver Lake that provides 482 miles of shoreline.
    58 Minutes away is Eureka Springs, Passion Play, and Lake Leatherwood, Mountain Bike Parks.
    1 hour and 20 minutes away is Bentonville

Heading South
    1 hour 23 minutes is Devils Den Mountain Bike Park
    1 hour 34 minutes is Lake Fort Smith Mountain Bike Park, and Kayaking.
    3 hours away is the Quachita Recreational Trail that runs for 108 miles through the Ozarks. A bike packing trip ( @mike ) or can be broken up into several day rides.
    Then of course there is a little thing called the Arkansas River...

...and not to mention all the unmentionables that locals will never put on Trailforks! :geek:

NW.Arkansas TF.Map.jpg

HBkites, ~JB~, Cisco Roots and 13 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

So....is this a for sure this time?

We all assumed from a previous post you were heading to the middle of nowhere S. Dakota.

herzalot, tick, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    In my life, nothing has been a sure thing.
    Home inspection is complete. We are submitting minor fixes. We have a Loan under contract and established a Title Company.
    It's down to the details of final agreements between us and the sellers. I currently see no issues.

So instead of the middle of nowhere in South Dakota, we will be in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas. :whistling:;)

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Awesome. :thumbsup:

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Remember....
    We have a guest bedroom and fully expect it to be used.
    We also have plans to build a couple of cabins on the lower 7 acres for guests. Possibly Airbnb's for others...;)

herzalot, Stkx66, scan and 6 others like this.
  29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Written like a true Californian, places to go are not based on distance, but time.

So the big Question is actually going to be: what's the brand of choice in the boonies, Santa Cruz, specialized, Walmart discount special....or??

You're gonna miss us West Coasters!

herzalot, OTHRider, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You know I am going to miss you Hooligans. I'm also going to miss the California mountains. Last Saturday's ride was a 7 mile climb and we acended like 3,300 feet. That meant like a 6 mile bombing singletrack descent, you know that aint gonna happen in Arkansas. But I notice they are pretty clever in how they build their singletrack. The volumes of features, berms, and switchbacks... they stretch out as many miles as possible off a hill.

Not sure what is "the brand" out that way, hopefully will know soon enough!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?